• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much is too much?

Monster,
Please point out to me some of these contradictions,

Did you try clicking the links provided?

for I hae studied the Bible for around 50 years, and have not found any, that cannot be explained by anyone who undersatands the scriptures.

With enough mental gymnastics I suppose one can rationalize pretty much anything they want to.

The fact is: there is not another book ever written, wheter old or modern that is as up to date and accurate as the Bible.

ROFL

Bible scholars have said that the Bible is so accurate, even after haing been translated thousands of times, that if all the mistakes ever found in the Holy Bible were put in one translation, there would be NO loss of the Message from God to man.

Hook. Line. And sinker.

Some Bibles have errors, mostly of names and numbers, that do not change the word of God.

How did you come to the conclusion that the Bible is the word of God to begin with? Let me guess, because it (the Bible) says so?

Almost one third of the Bible is prophecy, some fulfilled over thousands of years, some within a few years, all with unerring accuracy.

If Pat Robertson accurately predicted when and where some natural disasters would occur, there would be far fewer debates about Bible prophecy. In addition, some non-Christians would become Christians as a result. That is a reasonable assumption since historically, many people have accepted all kinds of outlandish religions based upon much less convincing evidence than that. In addition, Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce attracted many followers based upon much less convincing evidence than that.

If Micah had predicted that the messiah would rule a heavenly kingdom, not an earthly kingdom like Micah 5:2 indicates, that the messiah would heal people, that the messiah would be crucified, buried, and rise from the dead in three days, and that Pontius Pilate would become the Roman Governor of Palestine, and that Herod would become the Jewish king of Judaea, surely a least one more Jew would have become a follower of Jesus.

Suffice it to say that if a God who inspired a religious book wanted to use it to communicate with humans, he would have inspired a book that has much better evidence than the Bible has. For instance, if a God inspired the Bible, if he had inspired the Old Testament and New Testament writers to write lots of accurate predictions regarding when and where some natural disasters would occur, month, day, and year, there would be far fewer debates today about the existence of the God of the Bible. A God would not have any need of using written records to communciate with humans. All that he would need to use to communicate with humans would be telepathy. He could give consistent telepathic messages to everyone in the world regarding everything that he wanted people to know.

Written records needlessly invite disputes regarding authorship, interpolations, lying, and innocent but inaccurate revelations, sometimes even among Christians.

Possibly the main reason why Bible prophecy is not useful to Christians is because they have never come up with any good reasons why God always makes disputable prophecies, thereby needlessly causing dissent instead of discouraging dissent.

There is not one single indisputable prophecy in the Bible. Why is that? By "indispuatable," I mean a prophecy that the vast majority of the people in the world would not dispute, such as an accurate prediction regarding when and where some natural disasters would occur, month, day, and year.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For the Christians among us, I ask: how long of a leash are you willing to give the Bible for its misstatements, contradictions, and inconsistencies? How many errors do you need to be confronted with before you realize that the "Good Book" is human, rather than divine, in origin? Indeed, the Bible can be explained more satisfactorily through natural, rather than supernatural, means.

How many flecks of plain ol' rock do you have to chip off before you decide that your chunk of kimberlite contans no diamonds?

Monster,
Please point out to me some of these contradictions, for I hae studied the Bible for around 50 years, and have not found any, that cannot be explained by anyone who undersatands the scriptures.
The fact is: there is not another book ever written, wheter old or modern that is as up to date and accurate as the Bible.

How did Judas die, then?

Almost one third of the Bible is prophecy, some fulfilled over thousands of years, some within a few years, all with unerring accuracy. There has never been a book like it and will neer be one written by any man.
When looking at any non-specific prophecies, such as those from Nostradamus, those in the Bible, or ones that someone makes up off the top of his head, you can divide them into two categories:

- prophecies that generally match up with some past event. These can be taken as "evidence" for the "truth" of the prophetic source.

- prophecies that do not match up with any past events. These can be taken as applying to the future. Therefore, the fact that the prophesied events haven't happened doesn't have to be considered evidence against the truth of the source.

So... you have a situation set up where random, circumstantial events can support the claim, but nothing can refute it. It's all very convenient, really. ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Judas hung himself..

So you take the Gospel version over the one in Acts 1:18?

Edit:

There are contradictions in the Bible (which came first? Humans or plants?). This doesn't render the entire book useless. I think there's a wide range of reasonable options between jtartar's extreme (i.e. the Bible is perfect) and MONSTER's (i.e. the Bible is useless).

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
So you take the Gospel version over the one in Acts 1:18?

Edit:

There are contradictions in the Bible (which came first? Humans or plants?). This doesn't render the entire book useless. I think there's a wide range of reasonable options between jtartar's extreme (i.e. the Bible is perfect) and MONSTER's (i.e. the Bible is useless).

Oh you mean the one where Judas fell into the earth and died on the ground..

Look at the order..

Judas (IMHO) hung himself from a tree in a field...His dead body body rotted in the sun...He decomposed and eventually fell to the earth in pieces of rotted meat..

So there for me it explains how he hung himself ..but yet he fell onto the ground and died..He was already dead before he hit the earth..IMHO>.

Blessings

Dallas

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Do you seriously think you're a real challenge? No offense, but you or anyone else here who attempts to challenge MY faith, don't even come close.

This is what I see in non-believers. They just don't get it. How do you understand sound, if you've never had hearing. Or any of the other senses. You never will completely understand any of them, until you've experienced them.

This is not directed toward you(but all think about it).

Do you Christian really think you're a challenge for other religions or beliefs. I see non-believers like you all that just don't get it, You never will completely understand any of them, until you've experienced them. So next time you think about going off on other people on what they believe, do you like it when it happens to you.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh you mean the one where Judas fell into the earth and died on the ground..

Look at the order..

Judas (IMHO) hung himself from a tree in a field...His dead body body rotted in the sun...He decomposed and eventually fell to the earth in pieces of rotted meat..

So there for me it explains how he hung himself ..but yet he fell onto the ground and died..He was already dead before he hit the earth..IMHO>.

I've heard that version of events before... I do think it takes a fair number of logical cartwheels to reconcile the one version against the other.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yeah. It's probably best for one to ignore anything that challenges a deeply held belief.
You can challenge my deeply held beliefs till the day you die, but I strongly suspect you'll tire of it long before you have any success. After all, I've been hanging around RF for three years now and you're not the first atheist I've endured having to watch strut his stuff. Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of atheist friends on this forum. They have their reasons for not believing in God, and I respect those reasons, even if I don't share them. They also respect my choice to believe and aren't constantly trying to point out to me that I'm stupid, delusionary or naive. Sorry to disappoint you, but some debates simply aren't worth the bother. Since this is one of those debates, you can consider this my first and only post.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
With enough mental gymnastics I suppose one can rationalize pretty much anything they want to.
That's nice, either someone says you are right, or they are "performing mental gymnastics"... couldn't be that your, or whatever website you copy your "inconsistancies" from, interpretation is possibly wrong. Inconceivable.

There are contradictions in the Bible (which came first? Humans or plants?).
I've read copying errors, but nothing else that can't be interpreted another way...

Smoke

Done here.

It would have been a violation of Jewish law to leave the body hanging even overnight, much less long enough rot in the sun.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Around what, the not-yet-existant sun? Oh, wait. To be biblically accurate I should say the not-yet-existant sun revolves around the earth.
Ever hear of an axis?

As far as what revolves around what is a matter of perspective. the universe revolves around the end of my nose but the math is extremely complex to explain it.

Rolling_Stone

For the Christians among us, I ask: how long of a leash are you willing to give the Bible for its misstatements, contradictions, and inconsistencies? How many errors do you need to be confronted with before you realize that the "Good Book" is human, rather than divine, in origin? Indeed, the Bible can be explained more satisfactorily through natural, rather than supernatural, means.
I wonder why critics are more literal than believers? My guess is that that they aren't very adaptable to the changeability of life: rather than bending, they break.