• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much is too much?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
This brings up another question for me. If that's the case, and God knows that this will happen, why not give us some other direct inspiration at some point? How could he expect us to be completely convinced by something that has gone through a game of telephone? Send somebody else to update things, and correct any communication issues that have popped up.

I believe He did. Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Peral of Great Price, other modern Prophets. No problem there for me.

Popeyesays

To me Revelation is a constant process. As a Baha`i I believe that process will never end. Muhammed was a Prophet of God with a refinement of the Covenant and further revelation. The Bab was a renewal of the Covenant and a new Revelation. Baha`u'llah is the most recent and according to Baha`u'llahs express words, in about a thousand years another Revelation and renewal will take place.

It is not that God does not reveal all to each of the Prophets, it is that each of those Prophets reveals what God bids Him reveal and conceals for a later time that which God does not bid Him to reveal as yet.

Regards,
Scott

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I believe He did. Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Peral of Great Price, other modern Prophets. No problem there for me.

I see this all the time. Complaint after complaint about God, religion, etc., etc., and we over in the LDS Church are waving our arms, saying "Over here, we have the answer", or "We've already fixed that problem", or "We can explain it"! Sometimes I just want to tell the world, "Hush. Be quiet for a moment and listen to another option. It makes a lot of sense."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's nice, either someone says you are right, or they are "performing mental gymnastics"... couldn't be that your, or whatever website you copy your "inconsistancies" from, interpretation is possibly wrong. Inconceivable.
At least in the case of Judas, I think "mental gymnastics" are a pretty good description of the process that would take a passage that at first glance says "Judas paid for betraying Jesus with his life", and re-interpreting it as "Judas paid for betraying Jesus by decomposing in a surprising way", invoking a bizarre Rube Goldberg-style setup to make everything work.

GadFly

So night and day having came before the sun makes sense to you?

Here is another question, then; there are many religions with many books that claim to be "The Word of God". Of course they can't all be divinely inspired, so how do we differentiate the frauds from the real deal? And yes, I've read the Bible. You can read it thoroughly a hundred times and the wackiness still doesn't make sense, unless you deliberately try to fit square pegs in round holes.

Of course it makes sense that night and day came before the sun! God is speaking to us from eternity. That's where God says he lives. God does not live in temporal world of time where man is consumed with chronology of events. Man is so simple minded that he can not reason well outside of the limitation of time. That is why you are forced to make a chronological argument against God because you are unable to address him from a spiritual and eternal position.

To make this a little more clear, the best definition of eternity is that it is a constant now. This is the definition that most philosophers and atheist alike adhere to and , in fact, I have never heard of another definition from learned men who differed with this definition. Have you?

The situation here is, God speaking to Moses from a constant now, is not trying to justify a particular chronology of events that man would only stumble over (as you have), but rather demonstrating his eternal power to do all things at one time. In this sense God is still doing what he started in time originating from eternity. Can you see it brother? This may help you figure out your relationship to the Eternal One. You should solve this problem of which you speak for your own benefit.:bow:
God bless

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I see this all the time. Complaint after complaint about God, religion, etc., etc., and we over in the LDS Church are waving our arms, saying "Over here, we have the answer", or "We've already fixed that problem", or "We can explain it"! Sometimes I just want to tell the world, "Hush. Be quiet for a moment and listen to another option. It makes a lot of sense."

Hahaha. I agree. I've felt that way before. Esp[ecially in discussions where they say. "There a problem with Christianity because of X." I always think. No there isn't I'm Christian and there's not that problem here. I think another is the whole,"Why God allows bad things to happen," question. LDS church has the answer solved.

GadFly

Well, what if Holy Book 'A' makes a claim that contradicts another claim made in Holy Book 'B'?

Also, if I wrote my very own book and claimed that it's divinely inspired, would it be?
Sure it would be inspired! Hitler wrote inspired books as did most all evil men of world consequences. God said he would even send evil men delusions so evil men would believe lies. The Devil takes over from there and causes all kinds of lies and senseless debates. The crux of the old battle between good and evil is to keep a true seeker from finding the Good.:bow:
God bless

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Sure it would be inspired! Hitler wrote inspired books as did most all evil men of world consequences. God said he would even send evil men delusions so evil men would believe lies. The Devil takes over from there and causes all kinds of lies and senseless debates. The crux of the old battle between good and evil is to keep a true seeker from finding the Good.:bow:
God bless

So you're saying is that God inspired Hitler's writings and ideologies? Isn't delusion what makes people "evil"? Why would god cloud their minds knowing the terrible consequences?

GadFly

How is it "derogatory"? Is it not a legitimate question?

It could be derogatory. It all depends on how you meant it. You enjoy trapping people in traps of logic. You enjoy watching them scrum trying to figure out a reasonable answer. No matter what answer they give, you are prepared to challenge their answer. It is an interesting game. The GadFly likes to play this game also. So, I do not fault you for enjoying this game of shock and trap you.

When playing this game we must remember that there are many out there who have serious problems that they are using religion to help them solve problems. Keeping with this thread, we must draw the line when our game interferes with another's pursuit of truth and peace of mind. See, I told on you!:bow:

GadFly

What about atheists who were once believers? "Experiencing God" could be contributed to psychological/emotional episodes.

The GadFly is here again to tell on you. See, you have another question that does not relate to the subject. But your game is good brother and we should have fun with it. The fact is that I do not know of any religion, philosophy, or code of ethics that does not have backsliders. That does not make any of these less true or false. Your question is nonsense. :slap:

GadFly

Perhaps, but you said that non-believers just don't understand or get it, but if they were believers in the past then wouldn't they have some insight into faith?
This question is rhetorical and is loaded with traps where the respondent must reply to a position they may never have held. How they answer your question does not matter because you have another question waiting on them.

Take faith boys and girls. The GadFly is here to defend the faith and have fun doing it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The GadFly is here again to tell on you. See, you have another question that does not relate to the subject. But your game is good brother and we should have fun with it. The fact is that I do not know of any religion, philosophy, or code of ethics that does not have backsliders. That does not make any of these less true or false. Your question is nonsense. :slap:

My point wasn't about something being true or false. Someone said that non-believers cannot understand because they have not experienced. That's why I brought up the point that many non-believers were once believers, hence they perhaps do have some understanding from the religious perspective.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This question is rhetorical and is loaded with traps where the respondent must reply to a position they may never have held. How they answer your question does not matter because you have another question waiting on them.

Take faith boys and girls. The GadFly is here to defend the faith and have fun doing it.

God can sleep easy with you disarming my spike traps o' logic. ;)

GadFly

You know, that's actually a pretty progressive way of looking at it compared to most. There are some who think the King James version is absolute perfection (more so than the original hebrew, somehow).
The King James Bible was good enough for Peter and Paul. It's good enough for us today.
Somehow I think I blew this one.:sorry1:

GadFly

This brings up another question for me. If that's the case, and God knows that this will happen, why not give us some other direct inspiration at some point? How could he expect us to be completely convinced by something that has gone through a game of telephone? Send somebody else to update things, and correct any communication issues that have popped up.

God has! On another thread here, the TruthaboutGod has been told by God to write a book about God, which is a copulation of the religious books of Jews, Christians, and Muslims. TruthaboutGod's problem is that nobody seems to believe him.:bow:

GadFly

Around what, the not-yet-existant sun? Oh, wait. To be biblically accurate I should say the not-yet-existant sun revolves around the earth.
See! What did I tell you? The game goes on but I think the GadFly plays it better! And the faith goes on! Who can stop it? :no:

GadFly

So you're saying is that God inspired Hitler's writings and ideologies? Isn't delusion what makes people "evil"? Why would god cloud their minds knowing the terrible consequences?
No! I am not saying that. You said that. Why does all inspiration have to come from God. Christians do not say that either. That is a question for you to answer. Why do you believe every inspiration have to come from God. Nice game!:sorry1:

GadFly

It's beyond me why an omnimax god would ever need defending.

Brother MONSTER I wish your little god would teach you to read better. The GadFly is not defending God. He is defending the faith. See, he just did it!:bow:
God bless (Are we still having fun?)