• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much is too much?

tomspug

Absorbant
Interesting how someone who has actually READ the Bible looks at the same passages and can see how they are not misstatements, contradictions, or inconsistencies... Imagine that.

And for the record: Duh, the Bible was written by humans. I'm sorry if you can't stand the idea of people thinking that there is such a thing as 'inspiration'.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So night and day having came before the sun makes sense to you?

Here is another question, then; there are many religions with many books that claim to be "The Word of God". Of course they can't all be divinely inspired, so how do we differentiate the frauds from the real deal? And yes, I've read the Bible. You can read it thoroughly a hundred times and the wackiness still doesn't make sense, unless you deliberately try to fit square pegs in round holes.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Here is another question, then; there are many religions with many books that claim to be "The Word of God". Of course they can't all be divinely inspired, so how do we differentiate the frauds from the real deal?
I look at meaning as being extracted from books so then it depends on the person extracting it and how they construct what they read.
If someone conceives God as everything why couldn't God be revealed in infinite books ? I see no reason why every book couldn't be divinely inspired.

logician

I look at meaning as being extracted from books so then it depends on the person extracting it and how they construct what they read.
If someone conceives God as everything why couldn't God be revealed in infinite books ? I see no reason why every book couldn't be divinely inspired.

What if the books contradict each other. I won't go into the many contradictions of the Xian bible itself.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well, what if Holy Book 'A' makes a claim that contradicts another claim made in Holy Book 'B'?

Also, if I wrote my very own book and claimed that it's divinely inspired, would it be?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
What if the books contradict each other. I won't go into the many contradictions of the Xian bible itself.
2 options
1. Don't take them literally
2. Infinity is bound to contain apparent contradictions from the point of view of a finite mind.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think there is a time when a Christian will get tired of so many derogatory threads started about them. That is when it is too much.

tomspug

Absorbant
So night and day having came before the sun makes sense to you?

Here is another question, then; there are many religions with many books that claim to be "The Word of God". Of course they can't all be divinely inspired, so how do we differentiate the frauds from the real deal? And yes, I've read the Bible. You can read it thoroughly a hundred times and the wackiness still doesn't make sense, unless you deliberately try to fit square pegs in round holes.
Reading books about the Bible helps. I would be at a loss if I tried to figure out 2000 years worth of material without any sort of references, which is what a lot of silly people try to do.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I was pretending to be offended by all of MONSTER's posts. I haven't even bothered to read most of them. ;)

Edit:Actually I did read most of them, I just don't bother to respond or even follow the threads. :)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I was pretending to be offended by all of MONSTER's posts. I haven't even bothered to read most of them. ;)

Edit:Actually I did read most of them, I just don't bother to respond or even follow the threads. :)

You're probably better off that way. ;)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yeah. It's probably best for one to ignore anything that challenges a deeply held belief.

You actually haven't challenged my faith at all. We Christians don't even take these questions seriously. It takes more than a disgruntled atheist to challenge my faith.
And I apologize to all the kind atheists here who don't believe in my faith but never insult my intelligence (that is most of the atheists here). :)