• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do we know?

David T

Premium Member
100% agree. I posted this for atheists to take critical look at base of our knowledge.
One thing atheists have right theists are dead wrong. Now they realize that but they also make theists experts in the topic God which absolutely theists are not. They both read the ancient texts identically with different conclusions. So what.

leov

One thing atheists have right theists are dead wrong. Now they realize that but they also make theists experts in the topic God which absolutely theists are not. They both read the ancient texts identically with different conclusions. So what.
Science says that there are factors that changes human DNA. Ancients considered that humans had 'the third eye' and as recent as Descartes who called it seat of human soul , what happened? People got any wiser? I think they lose intuition, I think it is genetic or epigenetic. I did not find anything that void my conclusion.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How much do we know?

Always what we don't know is greater than what we know, even with the progress/advancement that we have had, it has been remained true rather that we don't know has increased/accelerated. Right, please?

Regards

Milton Platt

Science says that there are factors that changes human DNA. Ancients considered that humans had 'the third eye' and as recent as Descartes who called it seat of human soul , what happened? People got any wiser? I think they lose intuition, I think it is genetic or epigenetic. I did not find anything that void my conclusion.

Not sure I understand this post.....and what is your conclusion?

Darkforbid

Scientists observe and create hypotheses. Before I. Newton, things fell down. Apples falls from trees. 1. Theist - “God made it go down!”. 2. - Scientist - Apples fall when no longer attached to their stems. Perhaps there is a force, that we all see every day across the planet, that makes things move toward the center of the planet. Because that is what we see. Let’s call that force......”gravity”. Now if only we could come up with a way to measure and calculate how strong it is and what generates it. Hmmmmmm.....”

Today (and before), the measured expansion rate of the galaxies and star systems we see around us does not exactly correspond to the masses (and thus gravitational pulls of the visible matter in the same volume of space). 1. Theists - “God did it! No need for your mumbo-jumbo “science” malarkey! 2. Scientists - “There must be more to it than just normal matter and its corresponding gravitational field generation. Because that is what we see. Let’s call this yet undefined power/material “dark energy/matter”. Now if only we could come up with a way to measure and calculate how strong it is and what generates it. Hmmmmmmm......”

Well that's a idiotic view theists believe the universe has natural laws exactly the as atheists

PureX

Veteran Member
We know a lot, but we do not know everything. If we did, there would be no need for science or inquiry of any kind.
An estimated 16% is "a lot"?

Given the fact that we have no idea how what we don't know would completely change what we think we do know if we were to know it, I would say that any estimate is a 'crap shoot'.

Daemon Sophic

Well that's a idiotic view theists believe the universe has natural laws exactly the as atheists
You’ve missed the point.
Atheists believe that the universe has naturally occurring natural laws.
Theists believe that some Divine being made the laws, and/or imposes Its will when and wherever It wishes/feels like it. Furthermore, because of their beliefs, the theists often consider that the search for more understanding of said laws is a pointless fool’s errand. :rolleyes:

Daemon Sophic

An estimated 16% is "a lot"?

Given the fact that we have no idea how what we don't know would completely change what we think we do know if we were to know it, I would say that any estimate is a 'crap shoot'.
I heard that it was closer to 9.35%.

:p

PureX

Veteran Member
I heard that it was closer to 9.35%.

:p
I watched that lecture series by Neil DeGrasse-Tyson, but couldnt recall the exact percentage he mentioned. I was thinking 84% still unknown, but it may have been higher. It was a LOT, though. So much that I couldn't help thinking that the percentage of what we think we do know is so small that it could be swallowed up by the huge margin of error that would accompany it.

Darkforbid

You’ve missed the point.
Atheists believe that the universe has naturally occurring natural laws.
Theists believe that some Divine being made the laws, and/or imposes Its will when and wherever It wishes/feels like it. Furthermore, because of their beliefs, the theists often consider that the search for more understanding of said laws is a pointless fool’s errand. :rolleyes:

Can you provide a link to where I can find a list of what atheists believe

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
but I am certain....
there is a God
Yes, you are right. G-d knows everything* as He has created the Universe/s and all activity in it goes as per His plan and design.

Regards
اللَّهُ نُورُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ مَثَلُ نُورِهِ كَمِشْكَاةٍ فِيهَا مِصْبَاحٌ الْمِصْبَاحُ فِي زُجَاجَةٍ الزُّجَاجَةُ كَأَنَّهَا كَوْكَبٌ دُرِّيٌّ يُوقَدُ مِن شَجَرَةٍ مُّبَارَكَةٍ زَيْتُونَةٍ لَّا شَرْقِيَّةٍ وَلَا غَرْبِيَّةٍ يَكَادُ زَيْتُهَا يُضِيءُ وَلَوْ لَمْ تَمْسَسْهُ نَارٌ نُّورٌ عَلَىٰ نُورٍ يَهْدِي اللَّهُ لِنُورِهِ مَن يَشَاءُ وَيَضْرِبُ اللَّهُ الْأَمْثَالَ لِلنَّاسِ وَاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ
Transliteration
ir
Allahu nooru alssamawati waal-ardi mathalu noorihi kamishkatin feeha misbahun almisbahu fee zujajatin alzzujajatu kaannaha kawkabun durriyyun yooqadu min shajaratin mubarakatin zaytoonatin la sharqiyyatin wala gharbiyyatin yakadu zaytuha yudee-o walaw lam tamsas-hu narun noorun AAala noorin yahdee Allahu linoorihi man yashao wayadribu Allahu al-amthala lilnnasi waAllahu bikulli shay-in AAaleemun
Sher Ali
ir
ALLAH is the light of the heavens and the earth. HIS light is as if there were a lustrous niche, wherein is a lamp. The lamp is inside a glass-globe. The globe is, as it were, a glittering star. The lamp is lit from the oil of a blessed tree -an olive - neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil well-nigh would shine forth even though fire touched it not. Light upon light ! ALLAH guides to HIS light whomsoever HE pleases. And ALLAH sets forth parables for men, and ALLAH knows all things full well.
an-Nur 24:35

Milton Platt

How much do we know?

Always what we don't know is greater than what we know, even with the progress/advancement that we have had, it has been remained true rather that we don't know has increased/accelerated. Right, please?

Regards

How do you know that what we don't know has increased. Is there a finite amount of knowledge to be learned and we are learning an increasing amount of this finite amount of knowledge, or is the unknown portion increasing? Why is it increasing, as you assert? How do you know this?
True, we may have more questions, but that may be because we have not thought to ask them before.