• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do we know?

Milton Platt

An estimated 16% is "a lot"?

Given the fact that we have no idea how what we don't know would completely change what we think we do know if we were to know it, I would say that any estimate is a 'crap shoot'.

16 percent of an incredibly large number is still "a lot". But yes, I agree, with you. How do you come up with a percentage when we do not know the complete amount??? It would be to assert that we know everything that we do not know...which doesn't even make sense.

David T

Premium Member
Science says that there are factors that changes human DNA. Ancients considered that humans had 'the third eye' and as recent as Descartes who called it seat of human soul , what happened? People got any wiser? I think they lose intuition, I think it is genetic or epigenetic. I did not find anything that void my conclusion.
Lol you just pointed to idiocracy!

Leov we could state the truth hell we could write it down. And about 3 generations later we would have such screwy ideas in context to what we wrote we would be completely confused. That fact happens in religion constantly.and religion isnt alone in that. We have a name for that its called "normal"...

Notice something in the writing? I wrote we in past tense i wrote we in future tense.

Now we could, ask is that proper? Some might say yes some would say no and we could debate that forever actually. We could also debate we past we future is proof of reincarnation, some would say yes and some would say no and we could debate that forever. We could eventually areive at what would appear to everyone a valid question "what is reality?" and now we have hit the lowest possible question that as if its deep. That question is a symptim of, not a wuestion about and that is "normal".

I say create make art, breathe, play music make love, and laugh at out absurdities!!!! And soend a lit of time outdoors away from civilization as much as possible. It tends to be extremely "normal". And thus unhealthy.

exchemist

Veteran Member
and in reply.....as from the beginning of my membership....

there will not be a fingerprint, a photo, an equation or a repeatable experiment

there will be no proving

but science believes in things not proven
dark energy
dark matter

can't prove it.....but we are CERTAIN it's all there

somewhere
You are right there is no proving of theories in science.

You are completely wrong in claiming anyone is "certain" about dark matter or dark energy.

There is observational evidence of extra gravitational effects in certain galaxies that is consistent with extra "dark" mass, i.e. beyond the mass calculated from the stars we can see.

Dark energy is little more than a placeholder term, for whatever causes the observed apparent acceleration in expansion of the cosmos.

Baroodi

let a lone the remote universe in our lives and near surroundings a lot of things are still labelled as unkown. This indicates the limitations of man ability to probe deeper and wider

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
An estimated 16% is "a lot"?

Given the fact that we have no idea how what we don't know would completely change what we think we do know if we were to know it, I would say that any estimate is a 'crap shoot'.
You have a percentage? So how has the total been measured? I had no idea.

Oh, I see. Where did you come up with 16%?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How do you know that what we don't know has increased. Is there a finite amount of knowledge to be learned and we are learning an increasing amount of this finite amount of knowledge, or is the unknown portion increasing? Why is it increasing, as you assert? How do you know this?
True, we may have more questions, but that may be because we have not thought to ask them before.
I gave a source which I understand to be most trustworthy. Please quote one's source, if one has any.

Regards

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
As usual we have science versus religion, so I will derail and use skepticism on both in regards to knowledge.
When doing an understanding of another human's words I have learned to look for presumptions. What is it that all of you take for granted (the presumption) without checking it?
You all take for granted that we are all there. But that is not certain. It is the core assumption of objective reality no matter, what else you believe objective reality is, that objective reality is there and that it is fair. I.e. you can in general trust your experience.
That is the basis for knowledge, but in practice it is not that simple.
In this case google will do: Reality - the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
So here is the joke about reality. Where does an idealistic or notional idea of them actually exist? I mean, people using this definition of reality are in fact talking about "an idealistic or notional idea of them". So they must be talking about something, right? And it seems they are not talking about nothing, rather they assume that ideas exist, because they are talking about one of them.

So here is the problem in western culture for the notion of reality. There is something which is not a part of reality, yet we talk about if as it is real and exist: "An idealistic or notional idea of them" must exist and be real for us to talk about it, right? The words don't magically cause the existence of "An idealistic or notional idea of them", rather the words are about something. So that something must exist and be real, otherwise we couldn't talk about it.

No culture is without a myth about what reality is and that includes western culture. That is the core myth and it is a myth, because it doesn't work in practice.
Someone says: Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
And I answer: No.

That is it. I believe in another version of reality and I can get away with it, because the evidence for it, is that some people over time keep answering me. So though I have the wrong understanding of reality, other people in reality keep communicating with me. :D

In a historical context, it is philosophy. When we debate all of this, what we have in common, is that we in fact debate how words work. We all use words and we all take for granted that they are about something. We just disagree about what that something really is. It is the natural world versus from God or whatever, yet we can all get away with disagreeing.
So the tentative answer I have for explaining this, is cognitive relativism and this in particular:
No standpoint is metaphysically privileged over all others.
https://www.iep.utm.edu/cog-rel/#H3
Neither the atheists nor the religious side can win, because both sides are still there.

As for the word science, here is what I believe about that word.
Science doesn't draw conclusions about supernatural explanations
Science has limits: A few things that science does not do

So here is one way to understand what this is about: It is about Knowledge. I.e. I Know what Reality Really is.
But since I am a skeptic for now 20 years, I have observed the following: Though I don't Know, I am still here.
It works fine for me to believe and not believe that I need Knowledge about what Reality Really is.

With regards

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, there are still big questions out there. Tyson has mentioned some of the known unknowns here, but I'm willing to bet there are unknown unknowns still waiting for us to find too.

But look on the bright side ─ if it's a question about reality and the answer is known, it's known by science; and if it isn't known by science it isn't known at all.

So you are talking about the unknown and how it can't be known and all that is known, is known by science. That is testable.
You: If it's a question about reality and the answer is known, it's known by science.
Me: No!
That is not known by science, yet you know, that I wrote "no", so you know something not known by science.

You are doing philosophy, not science.
If words to be true, they must correspond to facts, then what are these words about: "If words to be true, they must corresponds to facts."
The correspondence theory of truth is not science. It is philosophy.

I am a skeptic BTW and I am skeptical of your understand of science.

exchemist

Veteran Member
the certainty is there
scientist would not speak of a place holder if they were not sure
That's just not true.

What have quite good evidence for is that the expansion of the cosmos seems to be accelerating. Nobody has much idea what could cause that, but some hitherto unsuspected form of energy is a candidate. That is all dark energy is: a label for whatever this mysterious thing may be.

More here: What Is Dark Energy? A Force That Drives Astronomers and Theoretical Physicists Bonkers.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course. Also, a question lingers in my mind: If we know only some 5% of universe do we always make correct conclusions?

We are still thinking way to small. :D

An ancient tradition says;

"..Consider the following well-known tradition and examine its meanings indicative of the vastness of the cosmos and its awesome limitless expanse: 'God, exalted be He, fashioned one hundred thousand, thousand lamps and suspended the Throne, the earth, the heavens and whatsoever is between them, even Heaven and Hell -- all of these in a single lamp. And only God knows what is in the rest of the lamps.' The fact that philosophers and sages have posited limits and restrictions for such matters is to be explained by the limitations of people~s minds and perceptions and the blindness of the followers of allusions, whose natures and intellects have been rendered dull and inanimate by the interposition of many veils...."

We are yet to go beyond our one lamp.

I do see a day where we will be able to traverse time and space easily and swiftly.

We have many creatures to find on all planets as well. There are also other creatures that have intelligence.

We require a unity of mind before we can unlock all these hidden secrets.

Regards Tony