• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Gods Are Possible?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This isn't about whether you believe only one god exists nor whether you believe multiple gods exist. This is about what you think is possible.
If Oneness Theory is correct then all of Diversity is a manifestation of "god". In this respect there are innumerable "gods" or perhaps "godlets". If you consider that all is created out of "god", as theoretically nothing existed, except a primordial form of "god", prior to so-called creation, we are then aspects of what it is, within our own somewhat limited framework of expression. The framework is limited to promote latent resourcefulness from within, manifesting that resourcefulness into very real and indelible lessons of creative problem solving applicable in a limitless number of ways.

In my own pantheon, SunStone, Jayhawker Soule, .lava, George W. Bush, are all gods exploring their own understanding of reality and hopefully growing from their experience, adding to the overall understanding of the species -- in effect allowing the species to grow. What many will no doubt find deplorable is that necessarily the likes of Charles Manson, Osama bin Hidin', Adolf Hitler and Teddy Kennedy are also gods exploring reality through their own limited understanding. In my warped view it is really ALL or nothing.

Godhood or the much preferred Creaturehood (as that word has the possibility to transcend simplistic "god concepts"') is something that is an inalienable facet of every being from the smallest, most insignificant to the "largest" and greatest. All are equal -- in the sense that each is a legitimate expression of the whole.

But heck... what would I know about such a weighty topic, eh? I'm just a fool.

Last edited:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
As many "Gods" are possible as the number of self-conscious beings X the number of moments each is self-conscious.

G = S * M

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are times when I think about things with "what if". The first commandment is "Worship no Gods before me". Does this mean that there are other gods to worship? It can be taken that way if you really think about it.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It's impossible that there could be more than one God. Two Gods would have been unable to produce the world. One would have impeded the work of the other.

The two Beings would have one element in common, and would differ in another. Each would thus consist of two elements, and would not be God.

Both Gods would be moved to action by will. The will being without a substructum, could not act simultaneously in two separate beings.

Therefore, the existence of one God is proved, and the existence of the other only possible. Since possibility is inapplicable to God, there is no such a thing as a second God.

Again, if one God suffices, the second God is superfluous; and if one God is not sufficient, He is not perfect, and cannot be a deity.

Ben :confused:

That's only true if the gods are like us in being immature and power-mad. I expect even the lesser gods to be above such childish notions and work together to harmonize their individual roles and abilities.

Of course, when you look at the Greek pantheon...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Once you get over the "hump" of the existence of a single deity, I don't see any reason at all to exclude the possibility of more than one, or even to put any limit on the number of gods at all.

It's impossible that there could be more than one God. Two Gods would have been unable to produce the world. One would have impeded the work of the other.
Do you think that a god can't be a god without having produced the world? If so, why?

Again, if one God suffices, the second God is superfluous; and if one God is not sufficient, He is not perfect, and cannot be a deity.
Do you think that superfluousness implies non-existence?

Do you think that a god can't be a god without being perfect? If so, why?

It seems like you're basing your responses on one particular assumption of the nature of God (something in the Abrahamic monotheistic spectrum, I assume, right?). This is not the only god-concept that humanity has come up with.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It seems like you're basing your responses on one particular assumption of the nature of God (something in the Abrahamic monotheistic spectrum, I assume, right?). This is not the only god-concept that humanity has come up with.

Exactly.

In the Greek pantheon, they were called 'gods' and were to be worshiped accordingly; they were hardly "perfect" (whatever that means) and weren't thought of as "perfect". They had all the imperfections of mankind. In fact, from what I've seen of the Greek pantheon, the only thing that separates man from god is immortality. EDIT: And superpowers. ^_^

Last edited:

Ben Masada

Once you get over the "hump" of the existence of a single deity, I don't see any reason at all to exclude the possibility of more than one, or even to put any limit on the number of gods at all.

+++Ben: - Are you getting tired of forum discussions? If all of us Theists did what you suggest to me, whom would you learn from through discussions on this subject?
You know, there is no learning where there is no controversy. So, you don't have to wish I got over the "hump" of the existence of God. Think of how much you would
stop learning!

Do you think that a god can't be a god without having produced the world? If so, why?

+++Ben: - He would not be God. He would be but one of the Olympian Pantheon of gods.

Do you think that superfluousness implies non-existence?

+++Ben: - Is there anything absolutely superfluous? I am talking about God, not humans.

Do you think that a god can't be a god without being perfect? If so, why?

+++Ben: - Yes. Because God is incorporeal. And there is no perfection in corporeality.

+++Ben: - YOU assume right. Of course, I am aware of the various god-concepts Humanity has come up with. What does it say about mine? Hasn't it ever occurred
to you that the fact that it has lasted from Abrahamic times to our days that something has proved not superfluous?

Ben :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ben Masada

That's only true if the gods are like us in being immature and power-mad. I expect even the lesser gods to be above such childish notions and work together to harmonize their individual roles and abilities.

Of course, when you look at the Greek pantheon...

Isn't the God of religions so?

Ben:confused:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Isn't the God of religions so?

Ben:confused:

The God of Scripture is often so. Not so is the God who is so oft worshiped. (please excuse my language; I just got done watching A Midsummer Night's Dream:angel2:)

I believe this to be a fault of humankind, to personify gods to make them more understandable. This has led to mischaracterization, misunderstanding, idolatry, and the shunning of others who share not like views.

But my experience with even lowly spirits has been that they are beyond human thought and feeling: that they cling not as we do, desire not as we do, hate not as we do, envy not as we do. How more so are the gods, even more so God Itself?

Ben Masada

The God of Scripture is often so. Not so is the God who is so oft worshiped. (please excuse my language; I just got done watching A Midsummer Night's Dream:angel2:)

I believe this to be a fault of humankind, to personify gods to make them more understandable. This has led to mischaracterization, misunderstanding, idolatry, and the shunning of others who share not like views.

But my experience with even lowly spirits has been that they are beyond human thought and feeling: that they cling not as we do, desire not as we do, hate not as we do, envy not as we do. How more so are the gods, even more so God Itself?

I agree with you that the God of Scriptures is too anthropomorphic, but because it was written in the language of man, since that's all we have.
Then, most men who read the Scriptures are destitute of the insight to see metaphorically the truth through allegories.

Ben :confused:

mohammed_beiruti

Qura'an Ch.17
[42] Say: if there had been (other) gods with Him, - as they say - behold, they would certainly have sought out a way to the Lord of the Throne!

Just one God is possible. one creator is possible , because if there ia another, he would claim that he had created the universe not the one God who we know.

I have never heard that claim, even from Jesus himself.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Some folks say only one god is possible. Others say there can be multiple gods. So which is it? Why?

Please note: This isn't about whether any gods exist. This isn't about whether you believe only one god exists nor whether you believe multiple gods exist. This is about what you think is possible.

Isn't the question fundamentally unanswerable? It depends entirely upon the definition behind the word "god". A polytheist, pantheist, and myself will all offer proffer different answers, and it is entirely possible we could all speak rationally about it and not contradict each other, because we each presuppose a different definition, and thus, in any discussion without first clarifying the definition in question everyone will talk past each other.

For my part, God means an entity that is unbound by anything beyond character, outside of time, outside of space, and so on. This would mean any two entities fitting the same description would, in fact, be the same entity, because there could be no internal division as there is with finite beings. In this sense, there can be only one God.

If someone assumes that a god denotes a personified force, or a limited but "supernatural" being, then there could be any number. If one assumes that God is all that exists, then there could be many, one, and none simultaneously.

syringa28

For me, to think logically, there was only one God control the universe. If there are two captain in a ship, for sure, the ship will 'sink'..Just my 2 cents..

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Personally I only believe in one Supreme God who created everything, but I am open, but uncertain, about the idea of other "gods". But what is the difference between these other gods, and say, angels? I suppose my idea of other gods, they are just heavenly spirits, immortalized. I only see a point in worshiping the Supreme, the One, but I won't say there there definitely are not other gods.