• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Gods Are Possible?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Some folks say only one god is possible. Others say there can be multiple gods. So which is it? Why?

Please note: This isn't about whether any gods exist. This isn't about whether you believe only one god exists nor whether you believe multiple gods exist. This is about what you think is possible.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am of the "there is one God" School. But God would be able to be in more than one place at a time- At least I think He would.

But I really don't know...
If I knew everything, I would be a god. And I know that I am not. :D

opuntia

Religion is Law
That a God can create usually goes with the name "God." So, if a God who knows all things and has all power, it would seem He can create or bring to a realization other Gods--likely us if we permit the idea to develop into real faith. Then if a God has no desire to bring into fruition other Gods then He is truly alone in the universe--only us lowly creations exist. Or shall we say He is alone because He is unable to create other Beings like Himself.

Worshipper

There's no limit to the number of gods that can exist. Maybe even more than aleph-naught, if it's possible.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
There are more gods than there are stars in the clearest night sky.

Which ones do I concern myself with? In terms of Celestial Gods, Gaia: Father Sky and Mother Earth. I also have great respect for Luna, the goddess in the moon. I also respect, though don't really get along with, Solis: Grandmother Sun.

In terms of earthen gods, children of Gaia(Odin, Ra, etc.), none of them. I like to work out my problems on my own, thank you very much. :D

The One is not a god. One is far greater than that, as all that is, whether we can perceive it or not, is the very body of the One. (Basically, the One is my version of "God") Though I have no fear in speculating that even One could very well be One of Many. But such things are Mystery, and it's really not wise to delve into such things, I think.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
That a God can create usually goes with the name "God." So, if a God who knows all things and has all power, it would seem He can create or bring to a realization other Gods--likely us if we permit the idea to develop into real faith. Then if a God has no desire to bring into fruition other Gods then He is truly alone in the universe--only us lowly creations exist. Or shall we say He is alone because He is unable to create other Beings like Himself.

Food for thought, indeed.

Though in Genesis, it seems to me that the other gods do exist, but aren't called "gods", but "children of God". Basically beings that live in heaven that aren't "angels" (angel means messenger), but not humans. I speculate that they might be Cherubim, though the Nephilim(Watchers) spoken of in Genesis who lusted after human women could be them as well.

.lava

Veteran Member
Some folks say only one god is possible. Others say there can be multiple gods. So which is it? Why?

there is only one God. as there is only one 'me' and one 'you'. even twins are unique. while every single creature is one and only, their creator is one and only.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
It could be one and many at the same time, in Gnosticism there is one God but many emanations - Sophia, Logos, Yaldaboath, Barbelo etc - which are gods in their own right as well as being aspects of the incomprehensible Father of All.

tomspug

Absorbant

Please note: This isn't about whether any gods exist. This isn't about whether you believe only one god exists nor whether you believe multiple gods exist. This is about what you think is possible.
Anything is possible, in theory. C.S.Lewis never would doubt such a possibility, and he was a Christian. The matter is not what is possible, but what rationale would lead us to that belief.

Polytheism was the most prominent form of religion for most of history, if you look at each individual ancient culture. What was radical was monotheism, the idea that the complex, intricate world was not made up of hundreds of gods, but one God, powerful enough to command them all.

I think that humanity, when left to itself, tends to move towards polytheism, or at the very least AWAY from monotheism (which is where we get modern atheists). The uneducated human is more likely to accept a universe of chaos rather than a universe of order, a universe of multiple gods over a universe of one God, because it is easier for us to believe such a thing. The less we understand, the easier it is to accept the assumptions of theological self-projection rather than radical, unbelievable concepts like monotheism.

Ben Masada

It's impossible that there could be more than one God. Two Gods would have been unable to produce the world. One would have impeded the work of the other.

The two Beings would have one element in common, and would differ in another. Each would thus consist of two elements, and would not be God.

Both Gods would be moved to action by will. The will being without a substructum, could not act simultaneously in two separate beings.

Therefore, the existence of one God is proved, and the existence of the other only possible. Since possibility is inapplicable to God, there is no such a thing as a second God.

Again, if one God suffices, the second God is superfluous; and if one God is not sufficient, He is not perfect, and cannot be a deity.

Ben :confused:

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I believe in one God, but opinions are not limited, anyone can believe in as many gods as they want to believe in, or none at all......:D

1 god will cause problems with the whole omnipotence deal, 2 gods will solve that problem but create a new ones, 3 gods solve that but create new problems that can only be solved by having just 1 god