• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you think the shutdown will end?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What are your thoughts?

I doubt either side will cave on the issue of wall funding. Here are the two possibilities I see as most likely:

1. Trump declares an emergency and diverts money to the wall. Trump declares victory and a bill to restore funding to the government passes. The Democrats challenge the emergency funding in court and the legal battle continues for months, but the bulk of the money has already been spent.

2. The shutdown continues until more major government functions grind to a halt. Under pressure from their supporters, Republican senators being flipping sides one by one until ending the shutdown has enough support to overcome presidential veto. At this point, McConnell lets the funding bill go through and it gets passed over Trump's objections.

On #2, I also see the possibility that if a funding bill without a border wall is passed, Trump issues an Executive Order to shut down the Mexican border altogether.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It must be #2.

Trump would love to be perceived as "courageous" enough to commit to #1. But he also knows that even his base would fail to see ways to claim that it is not his fault that he is tripping over his own feet.

I don't think he will resort to any executive orders, either. There has been a subtle shift in his behavior. He no longer wants to be perceived as a mover and shaker. Probably because he has realized deep down that it will not end well for him.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Re-opening the government is up the Congress, not the POTUS. If border security gets funded as how most border patrol agents and law enforcement officials would like with extended border security fencing in order to prevent illegal immigrants from trespassing uncontested between legal ports of entry, and then surely the government can once again function at full operational status.

One of my latest concerns is to keep unpaid government workers doing their jobs; this can be done by allowing them to receive compensation from state unemployment insurance funds to help pay their bills, this until they are able to receive paychecks from their government agency employers to help pay their bills after the commencement of their partial government shutdown holiday.

The last thing we want is a public uproar from those whose flights get delayed or cancelled from a walk-out of unpaid government workers involved with air travel safety. We want this partial government shutdown to be as painless as possible. Unfortunately, we don't know how long it'll take Democratic congressional members to come to their senses for approving border security barrier funding in order to keep the American public as safe as possible from illegal alien criminality.

I disagree with preventing unpaid Fed workers from getting unemployment benefits. I hope the POTUS and Congress soon realizes it's in his best interest along with anybody else's best interest to keep this partial government shutdown as painless as possible.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The last thing we want is a public uproar from those whose flights get delayed or cancelled from a walk-out of unpaid government workers involved with air travel safety.
I don't believe I agree. I feel bad for the employees suffering, but if those flights start getting canceled maybe we will get people in the streets chanting "Sign the Budget!".
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh - I thought of a 3rd option:

3. The House (and then Senate and Trump) pass funding for the wall and government funding is restored... but Trump doesn't read what he's signing and realizes too late that "funding for the wall" wasn't for the border at all and instead was for the rights to the Chris Hardwick game show.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
You can catch some of their plan here in this interview between Pence and Chris Wallace:

*EDIT Not sure that was the interview I was looking for, I'll leave it however, still a good one to watch, but expect some eye rolling.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You can catch some of their plan here in this interview between Pence and Chris Wallace:

*EDIT Not sure that was the interview I was looking for, I'll leave it however, still a good one to watch, but expect some eye rolling.
Despite being a Fox News interview, Chris Wallace is at least attempting to make some relevant questions.

Mike Pence does not look too good with his attempts at answering them, either.

youknowme

Despite being a Fox News interview, Chris Wallace is at least attempting to make some relevant questions.

Mike Pence does not look too good with his attempts at answering them, either.
Wallace raised some strong points, but he let Pence talk to much. I also noticed Pence recited his misleading statistics and Wallace didn't call him on it.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I don't believe I agree. I feel bad for the employees suffering, but if those flights start getting canceled maybe we will get people in the streets chanting "Sign the Budget!".
Tom

If this government shutdown becomes too painful, then the POTUS and Republicans in Congress would take too much heat from this; they'd have to end this shutdown that is now their leverage in negotiations for getting the funding to extend border fencing in order to keep illegal immigrants from trespassing between legal ports of entry; this would end up being a total disaster with increased illegal alien criminality. Of course, we wouldn't want to see that happening.

youknowme

I think this was the info I was looking for:

Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, plans to bring up legislation as early as Tuesday that would wrap Mr. Trump’s proposal into a broader package that would include billions of dollars in disaster relief and immediately reopen the government, an aide said. The move is intended to ratchet up pressure on Democrats, who have insisted they will not negotiate with Mr. Trump until the shutdown is over.

Republicans Push Trump Immigration Plan, Seeking to Corner Democrats on Shutdown

youknowme

There's new waves of Honduran migrant caravans forming at this very moment ...:eek:

8024df764535c768344d37c056628009.jpg

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
What are your thoughts?

I doubt either side will cave on the issue of wall funding. Here are the two possibilities I see as most likely:

1. Trump declares an emergency and diverts money to the wall. Trump declares victory and a bill to restore funding to the government passes. The Democrats challenge the emergency funding in court and the legal battle continues for months, but the bulk of the money has already been spent.

2. The shutdown continues until more major government functions grind to a halt. Under pressure from their supporters, Republican senators being flipping sides one by one until ending the shutdown has enough support to overcome presidential veto. At this point, McConnell lets the funding bill go through and it gets passed over Trump's objections.

On #2, I also see the possibility that if a funding bill without a border wall is passed, Trump issues an Executive Order to shut down the Mexican border altogether.
3. Civil war. :) Lol. That would just be... Unbelievable.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As nuts as it sounds, Trump should call for the building of "the Wall" as a "national emergency", thus ending the shutdown. Then this would be appealed to the courts, with them likely saying that this was not warranted as a "national emergency", and then Trump can blame these "leftist, Democratic, evil, tainted, demonic, stupid judges".

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Oh - I thought of a 3rd option:

3. The House (and then Senate and Trump) pass funding for the wall and government funding is restored... but Trump doesn't read what he's signing and realizes too late that "funding for the wall" wasn't for the border at all and instead was for the rights to the Chris Hardwick game show.
The real questions is, can we be certain this isn't what Trump was actually talking about all along?

Food for thought.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
3. Democrats, Republicans, and Trump negotiate a deal that provides some of what all three want, but doesn't fully please any one party. Peace in the middle east ensues, a cure for cancer is found, and pigs fly on angelic wings.