• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you refer to someone

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I get the sense that observance of the Sabbath is to a considerable extent about being connected to the Jewish community and, therefore, it is somewhat misleading to think of observance in terms of what non-Jews (we goys) do, want to do, or are allowed or acknowledged to do.

"Allowing" one to observe the Sabbath may be ultimately not very distinguishable from at least tentatively perceving that person as an actual member of the Jewish People.

Does that sound accurate?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Frankly, it makes not one iota of difference if a non-Jew decides to follow Jewish Law and is supposedly in violation of Jewish Law since they're not bound by Jewish Law anyway.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I get the sense that observance of the Sabbath is to a considerable extent about being connected to the Jewish community and, therefore, it is somewhat misleading to think of observance in terms of what non-Jews (we goys) do, want to do, or are allowed or acknowledged to do.

"Allowing" one to observe the Sabbath may be ultimately not very distinguishable from at least tentatively perceving that person as an actual member of the Jewish People.

Does that sound accurate?
I'm not really sure about that. There are no specific Sabbath observances that are dependent on the community. From a theological perspective, I think the Sabbath is not something that we observe so much as an entity that we connect to through our observance.
Also, to my knowledge a non-Jew is allowed to fulfill the commandment for circumcision, which seems to be a strong factor in Jewish identity. And according to many opinions, Arabs are required to do so.