• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you refer to someone

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How do you refer to a non-jew who practices Judaism?

For some reason I don't like saying "Jews" or "a Jew" practices... to me, that's like saying a African Americans are Baptists or a Chilian practices Catholicism (to put it nicely).

If the practicing individual is not accepted in the Jewish Order and does not have parents that are Jewish" how do you refer to him?

Tumah

Veteran Member
How do you refer to a non-jew who practices Judaism?

For some reason I don't like saying "Jews" or "a Jew" practices... to me, that's like saying a African Americans are Baptists or a Chilian practices Catholicism (to put it nicely).

If the practicing individual is not accepted in the Jewish Order and does not have parents that are Jewish" how do you refer to him?
If by practicing you mean, within the strictures of Jewish law for non-Jews, than we call him a Noahide.

You do realize that Jews come from many races right (including Africans and Chilleans)?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If by practicing you mean, within the strictures of Jewish law for non-Jews, than we call him a Noahide.

You do realize that Jews come from many races right (including Africans and Chilleans)?
Yes. I was refering to those who practice judaism regardless his ethnicity

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yes. I was refering to those who practice judaism regardless his ethnicity
I'm not sure you've got it, so I'll spell it out and if you understood, then just ignore this.

A person can be from Congo and be Jewish through conversion.
Or a person from Congo can not be Jewish but practice Judaism.

Do you see the difference?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Um you answered it here. Why the hostility?
I didn't intend to be hostile whatsoever.
I was offering you further clarification on a point that you were conveying in a manner that suggested you were unclear about.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I didn't intend to be hostile whatsoever.
I was offering you further clarification on a point that you were conveying in a manner that suggested you were unclear about.

I understand the topic from other threads similar in this DIR and outside. I dont know the details; I just wanted to know the name one calls someone who isnt Jewish by ethnicity but by one in practice (as said the other thread court of law)

Nothing complicated.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not sure you've got it, so I'll spell it out and if you understood, then just ignore this.

A person can be from Congo and be Jewish through conversion.
Or a person from Congo can not be Jewish but practice Judaism.

Do you see the difference?

Please spell it out a bit more to me, because I am truly in doubt here.

Conversion, I would believe, is a religious ceremony that involves the faith of Judaism and, at least implicitly, an adoption of sorts into the Jewish community.

I assume that this is the situation of your first example.

What about the second example, though? Are you describing Nohaidism there? Someone who sees fit to follow the directives of Judaism without necessarily having been either raised or converted into Judaism?

Or is it something else?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Please spell it out a bit more to me, because I am truly in doubt here.

Conversion, I would believe, is a religious ceremony that involves the faith of Judaism and, at least implicitly, an adoption of sorts into the Jewish community.

I assume that this is the situation of your first example.

What about the second example, though? Are you describing Nohaidism there? Someone who sees fit to follow the directives of Judaism without necessarily having been either raised or converted into Judaism?

Or is it something else?
Well, originally I was actually thinking about someone who just decided to do it on their own for whatever personal reasons, regardless of what Judaism has to say about it.
But the truth is that its permissible for a non-Jew to follow Jewish law for Jews (with the exception of the Sabbath), under the category of "not commanded, but does", which also receives a level of reward, albeit a lower level of one. Its not really Noahidism per se in that Noahidism strictly refers to non-Jews who follow the 7 Noahide laws. But practically speaking, it refers to someone who keeps the 7 Noahide Laws and chooses to follow other commandments as well.

Flankerl

I understand the topic from other threads similar in this DIR and outside. I dont know the details; I just wanted to know the name one calls someone who isnt Jewish by ethnicity but by one in practice (as said the other thread court of law)

Nothing complicated.

What exactly do you mean by "Jewish ethnicity?"
Perhaps this could be better explained if you tell us what you see as an ethnic Jew.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, originally I was actually thinking about someone who just decided to do it on their own for whatever personal reasons, regardless of what Judaism has to say about it.
But the truth is that its permissible for a non-Jew to follow Jewish law for Jews (with the exception of the Sabbath), under the category of "not commanded, but does", which also receives a level of reward, albeit a lower level of one. Its not really Noahidism per se in that Noahidism strictly refers to non-Jews who follow the 7 Noahide laws. But practically speaking, it refers to someone who keeps the 7 Noahide Laws and chooses to follow other commandments as well.
Why is the Sabbath excluded?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What exactly do you mean by "Jewish ethnicity?"
Perhaps this could be better explained if you tell us what you see as an ethnic Jew.

Im using the wrong terms for what I understand already.

I didnt want to get into jew vs jewish. For some reason when I say Jew, it feels like Im calling an African American a n/. (I am AfA and hate deregotory terms) so I tried to keepnit in context and ask what one calls practicing Jews who are not ethnic by blood (say from mother side) or nationality (or covenant)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Because the Sabbath is a covenant between G-d and Israel. You can't force yourself into a covenant, you're either one of the parties or your not.

I see. Does someone excluded from the Sabbath forbidden to practice the Sabbath personally or is he only excluded from practicing in the jewish community?

Flankerl

But that's the thing Carlita, if one is a Jew he already is Jewish by Nationality as he/she is part of the Bnei Israel.

Jews are Ethnoreligious people which you have to see through the eyes of how tribes often are/were.
If you join the tribe it doesn't matter whether you used to be different, now you aren't.

It doesn't matter who Ruth was, she joined us and thus became one of us. So this also excludes "Jewish by blood" which is highly problematic as there is no Jewish blood that is somehow different from non-Jewish blood.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I see. Does someone excluded from the Sabbath foridden to practice the Sabbath personally or is he only excluded from practicing in the jewish community?
Personally.
And Jews have to practice the Sabbath personally.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's really odd.
We are Jews.

A lot of African Americans dont like to be called AfA. Many say black but my family says we are brown.

In other words, American culture is so mixed up we dont know how to name other citizens outside our contry without having some racial slur in it.

So I avoid it.