• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you Meditate?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Thank you very much for your contribution. It is helpful to me as I am still trying to learn about meditation. Although I believe in it when it comes to practicing it I am unsure of what type of meditation to do and your post and others here have helped me a lot.
Why thank you. That is very kind. I wish you success in your endeavors.

Tell me, what sorts of things do you get out of your meditation? What does it do to you or for you? Again, your post was very helpful. Thank you.
One thing you would notice, almost immediately, if we ever met, is my unbounded mirth. This emanates from a permanent bliss that is a byproduct of the meditation process. That doesn't mean that I can't be very serious, but I'll often put my points in terms that are usually amusing, well, at least to delirious munchkins like myself.

Dwelling in the silence that @Windwalker speaks of gives one a focus, a centre of power, if you will. In the unimaginable expanse, within the spacious present, one moves forward with assuredness and purpose, regardless of how insignificant that purpose may be. It literally radiates outwards into all aspects of daily life. It gives you the impetus to tackle the world of uncertainty head on. To get up when you fall, as you most assuredly will, while learning from your mistakes.

I guess what I am blathering on about is that the focus gained mastering meditation filters through to all of your endeavors.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dwelling in the silence that @Windwalker speaks of gives one a focus, a centre of power, if you will. In the unimaginable expanse, within the spacious present, one moves forward with assuredness and purpose, regardless of how insignificant that purpose may be. It literally radiates outwards into all aspects of daily life. It gives you the impetus to tackle the world of uncertainty head on. To get up when you fall, as you most assuredly will, while learning from your mistakes.

I guess what I am blathering on about is that the focus gained mastering meditation filters through to all of your endeavors.
This is all certainly true. You awaken to who and what you are before and beyond all the masks we wear which we talk to ourselves with and assume is us. Expansive is a good description. Grounded, centered, clear, unafraid, grateful, peaceful, compassionate, and so forth is our true nature, and it is coming to know ourselves as that and not the face we call "me" in our daily lives. To some they here that and see it as a detachment, or a possible dissociation, a rejection of our personal identities, but it's not that at all. It's finding our true Self and living that in our unique self, this sack of skin we inhabit and identify as distinct. Life becomes far richer and fuller, as we inhabit that Freedom, that spaciousness that is us; that spaciousness that is all things, including our unique sack of skin.

One other thing to add to this for the benefit of our young Padawan learner ;) , while these are the deepest and highest conditions of meditative states, there are in fact other stages of meditation, each exposing different levels of Awareness before this. It's something I like to bring up because there is a genuine and important self disclosure that happens in these. What can and often does happen on the way to this Unity consciousness, is an encounter with hidden parts of ourselves, our deep psyches. Stuff comes up in extremely powerful ways, rivers of tears, a cleansing of the soul before Infinity. Joy and love gush forth as well as our fears and self-loathings are exposed to us to as we begin to release all of this we hold inside, close to us, hidden and buried from our conscious minds because we fear them, demonize them, etc.

What describes this process best is release. As I said, it's all about letting go, and letting go, and letting go, layer after layer after layer of the infinite onion that is our individual sack of skin. Each time another layer of that onion is pulled back, we experience profound release. It is the ego saying to us in a sense, "Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you!", for not holding our hands around it's neck as we move into full and final release of everything into that Infinite Source, that Ground of Being. This process is important I believe, because it exposes fully what we are in our human personality as "us", and as such we can embrace that with this Divine Love, fully, with eyes open, naked before ourselves and the whole world. We have to heal ourselves, and then transcend into full release with Self and all that is.

That's where things like deity mysticism comes to bear, if it takes that form. It's the Subtle level of Self, where archetypes are encountered. The danger or risk with this is when the power of this becomes so attractive it becomes the goal, and not the Goal beyond these faces of the deep which emerge to us and for us. The goal is not to seek the experience, and many fall into that. "If you find Buddha on the road, kill him," as the saying goes. That's a bit extreme, but it is to make a point. Don't stop there! Keep going. But I would urge, if that's what comes up and it serves a need purpose, than drink from that cup momentarily, then with thankfulness, set it down and move on. Don't forcibly deny it, unless you feel on a deep intuitive level it the the ego seeking for itself. That is the key to knowing when to drink, and when to pass. Is it the ego seeking? Then pass. Is it a lesson for your emerging soul? Then pause and drink, thank the hand that served you, then move on down the road.

I think this is probably important for Western people as culturally, we really haven't been trained to deal with our own subconscious minds. Things like Zen where you are told to ignore these things is probably more appropriate for their culture in which it was born, because stuff like this is dealt with emotionally and psychologically earlier on in one's life culturally, so if you're still there when seeking to realize the true Self, you shouldn't be there. But if you've never dealt with that stuff, then to bypass it, actually could cause problems of its own. Everything has to be united, and if you simply block stuff by brute force when you should actually be dealing with it, and it came up for that very reason, then I see that as not exactly being made whole, but delaying what inevitably has to happen. Freedom is realized in Fullness.

Well now, that was a long stream of consciousness thought. :)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Yes, those can be useful techniques to quiet the mind, to help center and ground you. But there's something more I wish to add about meditation here...

When you say this have you entered into those states yourself? Have you experienced that Stillness, where you are not your thoughts but Awareness itself? Quieting the mind through things like chant, mindfulness practices (as you described above), etc., are simply one of many keys we may choose to use to unlock that Door. But entering into that spaciousness where you are beyond thought and conceptions is actually meditating. The rest are tools and techniques towards that goal.

There's a clever story I read once that speaks of that. A young monk proudly says to his master, "Master, I practice meditation all the time, morning, noon, and night!" To which the master said, "That's good. But at some point you need to stop practicing and start meditating".

A brief word about breathing exercises. Like any meditative techniques these are tools. You don't have to count or focus on breathing, but can if it is helpful to do so at that moment as an aide. But what I find is that when I enter into deeper meditative states, my breathing just changes on its own.

Just yesterday morning I entered into such a state of utter Silence, I detecting my body's breathing had slowed to hardly but a whisper, with practically no movement at all, as if I was not breathing at all, nor really had the need to. Other times, it breathes in deeply the whole of the Universe itself into my Being and exhales as it were Life to the whole of Creation. As I said, there are tools, keys to open the Door, and then there is actually entering into that Door that was never even there to begin with. The "gateless gate", as it were. Meditation is meditating, not practicing.

Chants can be helpful to be sure. I found an interesting book about chanting you may find useful as he explores chant and its effects across the world. Chanting: Discovering Spirit in Sound: Robert Gass, Kathleen A. Brehony: 9780767903226: Amazon.com: Books

What is good in all these techniques is that it "introduces" you to what lays beyond ourselves, into Spirit, as it were. They can be quite helpful, but you need to bear in mind they are not the end in themselves. You take their hand and let the lead you beyond them into "God", or whatever word you want to call that which is beyond conceptions, such as "God" itself as we hold in our minds.

This by the way, is why elsewhere I've urged you not to hold truths so tightly with your mind you consider them to be "infallible". Once you do that, you will be stuck at that thought and go no further in Light itself.

Thank you Windwalker for your eye helpful points. I have not advanced as much as I would like to but I have experience rarely that complete awareness you speak of.

There have been numerous times when during meditation I had some sort of idea or answer to a peroblem only to forget it once I have returned to normal consciousness. These things might come when I am completely receptive and not thinking anything just remaining silent and aware of myself.

I really appreciate what you and everyone are sharing here.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
1. How do YOU meditate
2 How does ONE meditate

1. I cannot sit with eyes closed, breathing for a carved out period of time. Meditation for me is letting my mind drift, though sometimes I'll calm my mind as best I can and mentally work on an idea. When I do japa I simply try to focus on the deity I'm praying to, and why.

2. There's no one single description of, or definition for meditation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My meditation?
- preparation, bathing, puja, japa, scripture roughly same time every day, definitely same place, unless travelling
- sitting perfectly still in half lotus, comfortable, head balanced at top of spine, back straight
- focus on breath until it get diaphragmatic and rhythmic on its own
- focus on body heat until it gets relaxed,
- focus on nerve currents
- focus on spine, diaphragm massaging the spine

That's the preparation part. After that it gets interesting. There may be a predetermined focus for awareness, maybe not. Awareness becoming aware of only itself.

- then a return to ordinary consciousness in reverse order.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
1. I cannot sit with eyes closed, breathing for a carved out period of time. Meditation for me is letting my mind drift, though sometimes I'll calm my mind as best I can and mentally work on an idea. When I do japa I simply try to focus on the deity I'm praying to, and why.

2. There's no one single description of, or definition for meditation.

Thank you very much for sharing that. I find it difficult also to meditate like that. I'm the same. I tend to get more from letting the mind ficus on something like an idea.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Why thank you. That is very kind. I wish you success in your endeavors.

One thing you would notice, almost immediately, if we ever met, is my unbounded mirth. This emanates from a permanent bliss that is a byproduct of the meditation process. That doesn't mean that I can't be very serious, but I'll often put my points in terms that are usually amusing, well, at least to delirious munchkins like myself.

I really am being spoilt with help and guidance from everyone. From what I'm reading here I'm feeling much more confident and less discouraged as I did before talking to you all.

Your mirth puts me much at ease. I really want to be friends with everyone here and it's reassuring to know you all are very kind and friendly.

Also what length of time do you find optimal i.e to get the most mirth lol!?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Thanks,
For sure , Sister Shivani is a wonderful person , and many have benefitted from her lectures including me , her lectures have tamed me for sure :) , otherwise I had the nature of getting angry and irritated quickly.

With Brahma Kumaris I gained this realization that the only person I can really change is myself and hence set on this wonderful journey of self realization and self empowerment.
Some of the many wonderful quotes I learnt here are
1. The stage of contentment is always victorious over situations.
2.My thoughts are my creation , and I have to become the master of my creation
3.Always have good expectations and good wishes for people.
4. Happiness is a decision .
5. Truth is complete integrity of thoughts ,words and deeds.
6. What is not worth saying is also not worth keeping in thoughts.
7. You radiate only those qualities which are within you , so for example to make others happy you need to be happy first , and same is true for love , peace ..
and most important " We are souls , intrinsically good , on a journey playing different roles and the roles do not define us , but the intrinsic goodness within us defines us.
And God is the reservoir of all this goodness from whom I can draw my powers.
8 . When I am detached from my role ,I am able to fulfill my role much more efficiently.
9. By being detached and a distant observer I get a better perspective which is the birds eye view of myself and situations.
The list is endless , but for convenience ,I stop here,
Where to buy CDs ? I never felt the need for it , since all of them are available on YouTube on her account,
bk shivani
but since you have asked I looked for them on web , and found that amazon.in sells them , here is the linkshttp://www.amazon.in/Awakening-Brahma-Kumaris-Self-Management/dp/B006QKT46Y
This link has all the other meditations in Sister Shivani's voice like overcoming jealousy, sorrow ,hurt, guilt and also getting rid of bad habits.
meditation by bk sister shivani on different emotions/topics - YouTube

Tabu. You have been more kind and helpful than words can express. I subscribed to her YouTube channel and I will meditate and listen to these beautiful talks daily especially now it is our fasting month. We fast for one Baha'i month which is 19 days. During that time we have no food or drink from sunrise to sunset and today is my 7th day and loving it and it is said that every one of these fasting days "is endowed with a special virtue" and coming across Sister Shivani and you people has indeed been an unexpected blessing.

I hope you don't mind that I feel very happy to meet you all. Anything that is true and good I love and you Kumaris make me feel right at home. Many thanks.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I have always thought meditation has a yield
if you gained nothing.....you wasted your time

so....things of science are dealt by a disciplined line of thought
that kind of meditation has rules

things of the heart with emotional strings.....are played out with imagination
daydreams....composing of music.....artwork

things of the spirit.....are both at once.
imagine God and heaven
and think logically.... how to stand well

Those are very enlightening words. Much appreciated and taken in.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I practice Zazen on and off the cushion.

There's no real objective or subjective focus to speak of save for focusing on the breath which actually is a type of conditioning and development to which over time gives way to Shikantaza. Where thoughts become naturally stilled. During such a state, things tend to come "out of the woodwork" for which it's first acknowledged and let go allowing it to dissipate. Its a way of clarity through insight and experience, in essence the unspoiled nature of ourselves inclusive of our pervasive surroundings and the environment becomes illuminated free of the opacity that prevents a person from noticing what's always been "there" but prevented from noticing due to all the previous distraction.

Zazen is properly done in full lotus on a zafu or cushion with spine straight and hands in a mundra with eyes remaining slightly open towards the floor or a wall to help with undue distraction and falling asleep in order to get the full benefit, although variation can be used but tends to be less effective in the least possible time. I personally can muster half lotus or Burmese due to my physical state of health and conditioning. But should be strived for if possible to incorporate proper position.

The world and view had personally become quite amazing since incorporating Zazen techniques.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I practice Zazen on and off the cushion.

There's no real objective or subjective focus to speak of save for focusing on the breath which actually is a type of conditioning and development to which over time gives way to Shikantaza. Where thoughts become naturally stilled. During such a state, things tend to come "out of the woodwork" for which it's first acknowledged and let go allowing it to dissipate. Its a way of clarity through insight and experience, in essence the unspoiled nature of ourselves inclusive of our pervasive surroundings and the environment becomes illuminated free of the opacity that prevents a person from noticing what's always been "there" but prevented from noticing due to all the previous distraction.

Zazen is properly done in full lotus on a zafu or cushion with spine straight and hands in a mundra with eyes remaining slightly open towards the floor or a wall to help with undue distraction and falling asleep in order to get the full benefit, although variation can be used but tends to be less effective in the least possible time. I personally can muster half lotus or Burmese due to my physical state of health and conditioning. But should be strived for if possible to incorporate proper position.

The world and view had personally become quite amazing since incorporating Zazen techniques.

Thank you very much. I am very appreciative especially you mentioned about falling asleep because that has happened to me often!!

Also I want to ask about when ideas just drop in during meditation how do you remember we them as I've had times when something really helpful has dropped into my mind only to forget it upon ceasing to meditate?

Thank you again.

RESOLUTION

Any particular words? I love to meditate on the Word also.
It really depends on the events of each day and the needs of others.
I like those which reveal God to us and which are about being able to trust him. Those personal times in our lives when God reaches out to us. Do you have any personal quotes? :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I really am being spoilt with help and guidance from everyone. From what I'm reading here I'm feeling much more confident and less discouraged as I did before talking to you all.

Your mirth puts me much at ease. I really want to be friends with everyone here and it's reassuring to know you all are very kind and friendly.

Also what length of time do you find optimal i.e to get the most mirth lol!?
I don't quite understand the question. How long do you have to meditate?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
It really depends on the events of each day and the needs of others.
I like those which reveal God to us and which are about being able to trust him. Those personal times in our lives when God reaches out to us. Do you have any personal quotes? :)

I like to reflect on God's blessings. Things like the Beatitudes which inspire gratefulness for everything. I like to live in a state of constant gratitude.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
That's a great site. Many thanks Geoff for going to the trouble to link it here.I bookmarked it and am having a browse through it.

I wonder if everyone meditated would the world be a much better place?

Glad you enjoyed it - you can also try searching for Osho meditation quotes.

I also recommend "The Everyday Meditator" highly.

As for the whole world meditating - it would be a lovely idea :)

I have read that if even 1 percent of the population meditated that would improve things greatly.

One percent of 7 billion would be 70 million meditators!

Here's hoping!

Namaste