• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you Meditate?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Glad you enjoyed it - you can also try searching for Osho meditation quotes.

I also recommend "The Everyday Meditator" highly.

As for the whole world meditating - it would be a lovely idea :)

I have read that if even 1 percent of the population meditated that would improve things greatly.

One percent of 7 billion would be 70 million meditators!

Here's hoping!

Namaste

Thanks Geoff! I've got the Osho website and also I found the Everyday Meditator and I thank you sincerely.

whirlingmerc

This thread is about everyone sharing, for the benefit of everyone, their methods of meditation so we can all learn from each other. And also about helping us learn how to mediate.

There are two questions implied here.

1. How do YOU meditate
2 How does ONE meditate

The Bahá’í writings do not prescribe any fixed procedures for meditation. However, it is clear that whatever its form, it entails focused reflection.

Meditation | What Bahá’ís Believe

Bahá’u’lláh states: “The source of crafts, sciences and arts is the power of reflection.

And "One hour's reflection is preferable to seventy years of pious worship" (Book of Certitude)

Scientists and non religionists meditate so this is inclusive for all to contribute. How do people who aren't religious view meditation? Do you meditate?

I have come across some very interesting groups here such as the Brahma Kumaris and enjoyed a video speaking about self control. Also, I spent five years in Burma where I attended monasteries and took part in meditation classes which I found very interesting.

Is mediation the same as relaxation therapy when one just stops thinking? And should one be silent or is music allowed. I notice that some forms of mediation take the form of chanting or reciting melodiously Words of the Great Teachers. Or mantras? We recite "Allah'u'Abha" 95 times each day.

Could you also provide links and information about your system of meditation as I'm sure those interested may wish to explore further?

NOT by emptying my thoughts and let whatever mood comes over me...

I meditate by thinking over what God has done or words He spoke

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I meant how long is best? 30 minutes or 10 minutes or doesn't it matter?
Personal opinion, and one shared by a Tibetan Buddhist nun friend of mine, you don't really get going until after 15 minutes. That's when things get interesting. I generally do an hour or longer each morning. But when you've done it enough, a half hour is good if pressed for time.

One thing to add I'm not sure has been mentioned so far, is that there is a getting settled into it period on the front end (creating the space), and a grounding on the back end. Both are very important, but especially the grounding. That's where you take the work done in the middle and bring it forward into your daily life. This is where these insights you open to during it will end up being remembered, btw. One bit of advice on that? As part of finalizing your meditation, journal it. Sit down for 5 or 10 minutes after you finish and just write what comes to mind following what you were exposed to. This is all part of grounding and integrating what I like to call, "lessons in the Light". Try it and see.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Personal opinion, and one shared by a Tibetan Buddhist nun friend of mine, you don't really get going until after 15 minutes. That's when things get interesting. I generally do an hour or longer each morning. But when you've done it enough, a half hour is good if pressed for time.

One thing to add I'm not sure has been mentioned so far, is that there is a getting settled into it period on the front end (creating the space), and a grounding on the back end. Both are very important, but especially the grounding. That's where you take the work done in the middle and bring it forward into your daily life. This is where these insights you open to during it will end up being remembered, btw. One bit of advice on that? As part of finalizing your meditation, journal it. Sit down for 5 or 10 minutes after you finish and just write what comes to mind following what you were exposed to. This is all part of grounding and integrating what I like to call, "lessons in the Light". Try it and see.

I'm now clear more clear about meditation than ever before thanks to you and many others here. I'll keep yours and many other suggestions in screenshots so I can refer to them.

Many thanks Windwalker.

dianaiad

This thread is about everyone sharing, for the benefit of everyone, their methods of meditation so we can all learn from each other. And also about helping us learn how to mediate.

There are two questions implied here.

1. How do YOU meditate
2 How does ONE meditate

The Bahá’í writings do not prescribe any fixed procedures for meditation. However, it is clear that whatever its form, it entails focused reflection.

Meditation | What Bahá’ís Believe

Bahá’u’lláh states: “The source of crafts, sciences and arts is the power of reflection.

And "One hour's reflection is preferable to seventy years of pious worship" (Book of Certitude)

Scientists and non religionists meditate so this is inclusive for all to contribute. How do people who aren't religious view meditation? Do you meditate?

I have come across some very interesting groups here such as the Brahma Kumaris and enjoyed a video speaking about self control. Also, I spent five years in Burma where I attended monasteries and took part in meditation classes which I found very interesting.

Is mediation the same as relaxation therapy when one just stops thinking? And should one be silent or is music allowed. I notice that some forms of mediation take the form of chanting or reciting melodiously Words of the Great Teachers. Or mantras? We recite "Allah'u'Abha" 95 times each day.

Could you also provide links and information about your system of meditation as I'm sure those interested may wish to explore further?

How do I meditate.

Hmn....

Well.....

I knit. There isn't any great formal training (except in the actual art of, y'know, making fabric out of yarn and needles).

One simply sits, picks up the project, and....knits.
I believe that many others have similar methods, involving other physical acts that either requires, or puts one into, that altered state many look for in meditation. Spinning prayer wheels, perhaps, or counting beads, or whatever.

I knit. Or crochet. Or spin. (that's spinning yarn, not riding some stupid stationary exercise bike), and my mind takes a vacation, and I come back refreshed, Sometimes I come back enlightened, depending entirely upon where my mind WENT on its vacation. Sometimes I have a conversation with God. Sometimes not. I'm not going to tell anybody else how they SHOULD do this; do it in a fashion that works. I like doing it this way because at the end you have all the benefits of meditation..........and a lace shawl to remember it by.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Also I want to ask about when ideas just drop in during meditation how do you remember we them as I've had times when something really helpful has dropped into my mind only to forget it upon ceasing to meditate?

Thank you again.

You could say it's among the first enlightenment. Maybe it's just better to say realisation. I dunno. ;0)

Noticing the inherent emptiness of all things, Including one's own thoughts and ideas, how such things come and go all the time! Even all those good ideas too. *grin*

Many teachers would simply say to first acknowledge upon the arising of thoughts and ideas, then let them pass and then forget about it. Its very natural, like rising and falling of waves.

The heart sutra addresses this. Same as a bell that is and had been rung once, or one ringing many times for which I think is why so many experience sudden realisation upon experiencing such things.

It's a wonderful insight for which I think that you have already noticed here which is the experience of emptiness.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm now clear more clear about meditation than ever before thanks to you and many others here. I'll keep yours and many other suggestions in screenshots so I can refer to them.

Many thanks Windwalker.
I'm expanding on a thought I mentioned before to give a better context and that might prove helpful to you. I mentioned "creating the space". What this is can be considered part of the meditation practice itself, while meditation is actually the experience of entering into those deep interior spaces. What I'm talking about is surrounding meditation with a ritual form.

What this means is in any practice or discipline there is a beginning, a middle, and and end. It can be broken down into 5 basic parts:

1. Create the space, or closing the circle. This has the effect of bringing you from outside world into the "sacred space", which brings the mind and hearts intention to the practice. It can be a simple as pulling out your meditation cushion setting it in place, lighting a few candles, turning on the music you reserve for your practice, etc. Treat everything with intention towards the practice. Treat the objects of your practice as special, so when you pull them out, it begins to automatically move your mind to set aside the mundane stuff and enter into the practice.

2. Raise the energy. This brings all your attention and focus towards doing the work which is coming next. It can take the form of those tools mentioned, such as chanting a mantra, singing a song, making an offering, physical movements such as Tai Chi, yoga, drumming, reading a verse of scripture, breathing exercises, or whatever form works to bring you wholly into the space to be receptive to doing the actual work.

3. Do the work. This is where for instance in a group setting the sermon or message is delivered to the ready and receptive minds in group ritual. In your individual practice, this is where the inner work begins. This is where you move into actual meditation itself and you are receiving illumination from the soul, the subconscious, the god, or the Infinite Wellspring of Life itself. This is where you are being fed or moving beyond yourself in one fashion or another.

4. Ground the energy. This is where you take the substance of the work you just received or moved into and bringing it back into your body. This is where "heaven meets earth", metaphorically speaking. Take where you mind was and slowly ground it to the earth, down into you. In meditation visualizations or symbolic forms help with this. Imagining a channel of light for instance streaming down from above through your body and down into the earth deep beneath you, rooting and grounding you to earth. It can also take the form a song, an offering of thanksgiving or gratitude to God, the Universe, or the Infinite Source of goodness for the gifts of your life, and so forth as you prepare yourself mentally to leave the ritual space and practice.

5. Opening the circle. Now is where you rise from your practice, taking deep breaths in and out, letting that energy flow out and into you as you get up and move around, putting away the objects of your practice with respect and reverence. Breathe in the air and feel yourself present again in your body, in the room, welcoming the light streaming in, and so forth. Be present and light in your mind and body and spirit. Come back to earth and the body, so to speak. This too is grounding and helps treat the whole practice as a sacred and special thing so the the next time the ritual begins, you are much more easily swept into the work, rather than struggling and fighting to be present in the practice.

This whole structure helps both the practice and the transformative effects of the practice in your life. It's not just the work of meditation itself, but how you approach it. It's all part of the package deal, really. It's about helping the mind be present and helping bring it into your daily life. People don't mention that a lot, but it's shouldn't be overlooked how important it is to the whole.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You could say it's among the first enlightenment. Maybe it's just better to say realisation. I dunno. ;0)

Noticing the inherent emptiness of all things, Including one's own thoughts and ideas, how such things come and go all the time! Even all those good ideas too. *grin*

Many teachers would simply say to first acknowledge upon the arising of thoughts and ideas, then let them pass and then forget about it. Its very natural, like rising and falling of waves.

The heart sutra addresses this. Same as a bell that is and had been rung once, or one ringing many times for which I think is why so many experience sudden realisation upon experiencing such things.

It's a wonderful insight for which I think that you have already noticed here which is the experience of emptiness.

Someone else mentioned the heart sutra here but I can't find the post. Thanks for pointing to it.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I'm expanding on a thought I mentioned before to give a better context and that might prove helpful to you. I mentioned "creating the space". What this is can be considered part of the meditation practice itself, while meditation is actually the experience of entering into those deep interior spaces. What I'm talking about is surrounding meditation with a ritual form.

What this means is in any practice or discipline there is a beginning, a middle, and and end. It can be broken down into 5 basic parts:

1. Create the space, or closing the circle. This has the effect of bring you from outside world into the "sacred space", which brings the mind and hearts intention to the practice. It can be a simple as pulling out your meditation cushion setting it in place, lighting a few candles, turning on the music you reserve for your practice, etc. Treat everything with intention towards the practice. Treat the objects of your practice as special, so when you pull them out, it begins to automatically move your mind to set aside the mundane stuff and enter into the practice.

2. Raise the energy. This brings all your attention and focus towards doing the work which is coming next. It can take the form of those tools mentioned, such as chanting a mantra, physical movements such as Tai Chi, yoga, drumming, or whatever form works to bring you wholly into the space to be receptive to doing the actual work.

3. Do the work. This is where for instance in a group setting the sermon or message is delivered to the ready and receptive minds in group ritual. In your individual practice, this is where the inner work begins. This is where you move into meditation and you are receiving illumination from the soul, the subconscious, the god, or the Infinite Wellspring of Life itself. This is where you are being fed in one fashion or another.

4. Ground the energy. This is where you take the substance of the work you just received or moved into and bringing it back into your body. This is where "heaven meets earth", metaphorically speaking. Take where you mind was and slowly ground it to the earth, down into you. In meditation visualizations or symbolic forms help with this. Imagining a channel of light for instance streaming down from above through your body and down into the earth deep beneath you, rooting and grounding you to earth. It can also take the form a song, an offering of thanksgiving to God or the Infinite Source of goodness for the gifts of your life, and so forth as you prepare yourself mentally to leave the ritual space and practice.

5. Opening the circle. Now is where you rise from your practice, taking deep breaths in and out, letting that energy flow out and into you as you get up and move around, putting away the objects of your practice with respect and reverence. Breath in the air and feel yourself present in your body, in the room, welcoming the light streaming in, and so forth. Come back to earth and the body, so to speak. This too is grounding and helps treat the whole practice as a sacred and special thing so the the next time the ritual begins, you are much more easily swept into the work, rather than struggling and fighting to keep still.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks Windwalker that really helps me define some parameters to prepare beforehand to put me in the right mood. I like your suggestions about having some structure. I think that's important.

Also the idea of creating atmosphere with a mantra i think is a brilliant idea. Atmosphere makes one forget the outside world and concentrate on the process at hand.

Thanks very much for all your effort. I took some screenshots of your post to keep as a reference. Much appreciated.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks Windwalker that really helps me define some parameters to prepare beforehand to put me in the right mood. I like your suggestions about having some structure. I think that's important.

Also the idea of creating atmosphere with a mantra i think is a brilliant idea. Atmosphere makes one forget the outside world and concentrate on the process at hand.

Thanks very much for all your effort. I took some screenshots of your post to keep as a reference. Much appreciated.
Thanks. You may wish to take another screenshot. I did a few clarifying edits and added some stuff to it a couple minutes after I posted it.

BTW, if you look at that basic structure, you'll begin to recognize them in practice of rituals everywhere, from church services to baseball games. :) Ritual is just part of our deep human psychologies. When you have a good meditation ritual, I think you'll find it really gives it a lot more power. I could go on about this for quite a bit more and may later if I feel the need to.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Thanks. You may wish to take another screenshot. I did a few clarifying edits and added some stuff to it a couple minutes after I posted it.

BTW, if you look at that basic structure, you'll begin to recognize them in practice of rituals everywhere, from church services to baseball games. :) Ritual is just part of our deep human psychologies. When you have a good meditation ritual, I think you'll find it really gives it a lot more power. I could go on about this for quite a bit more and may later if I feel the need to.

Took some more screenshots. I'm happy to keep learning as you add more.