• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you Meditate?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
This thread is about everyone sharing, for the benefit of everyone, their methods of meditation so we can all learn from each other. And also about helping us learn how to mediate.

There are two questions implied here.

1. How do YOU meditate
2 How does ONE meditate

The Bahá’í writings do not prescribe any fixed procedures for meditation. However, it is clear that whatever its form, it entails focused reflection.

Meditation | What Bahá’ís Believe

Bahá’u’lláh states: “The source of crafts, sciences and arts is the power of reflection.

And "One hour's reflection is preferable to seventy years of pious worship" (Book of Certitude)

Scientists and non religionists meditate so this is inclusive for all to contribute. How do people who aren't religious view meditation? Do you meditate?

I have come across some very interesting groups here such as the Brahma Kumaris and enjoyed a video speaking about self control. Also, I spent five years in Burma where I attended monasteries and took part in meditation classes which I found very interesting.

Is mediation the same as relaxation therapy when one just stops thinking? And should one be silent or is music allowed. I notice that some forms of mediation take the form of chanting or reciting melodiously Words of the Great Teachers. Or mantras? We recite "Allah'u'Abha" 95 times each day.

Could you also provide links and information about your system of meditation as I'm sure those interested may wish to explore further?

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Sometimes sitting with eyes closed and repeating a mantra
Sometimes sitting with eyes focused (e.g. on a candle)
Sometimes walking

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
well it's icehorse actually :)

It can help me in several ways. It can quiet my mind when my mind gets to racing. It helps me get better at detached observation. It can help me - indirectly - be creative.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This thread is about everyone sharing, for the benefit of everyone, their methods of meditation so we can all learn from each other. And also about helping us learn how to mediate.

1. How do YOU meditate
I do a sitting meditation each morning for a little over an hour. Mediation is not "thinking" about something in a serious manner, but letting go of trying to understand with the mind, and letting Light enter in instead. It is all a process of letting go, and letting go, and letting go... Meditation is the action of allowing.

2 How does ONE meditate
Using whatever technique allows one's letting go of trying to understand with the mind. Whatever works to that end, is the right way to meditate.

The Bahá’í writings do not prescribe any fixed procedures for meditation. However, it is clear that whatever its form, it entails focused reflection.
Yeah, no. It's not about reflection. It's not about conceptualizations. It's the opposite of that.

Also, I spent five years in Burma where I attended monasteries and took part in meditation classes which I found very interesting.
Interesting? That's an odd description. Did you experience meditation yourself, or was it an intellectual thing for you?

Is mediation the same as relaxation therapy when one just stops thinking?
Relaxation is just a mere by-product. And it's really not about "stop thinking". It's really more about letting thoughts not be distracting to Awareness itself. It's about being Aware, rather than engaging in discursive thoughts where you get carried away in the narrative that passes before you. It's very hard to describe this to someone whose never experienced that. Imagine sitting at the bottom of a river, and simply watching all the junk on the surface pass before you, while you remain fixed and unmoved at the bottom safely away from all the debris above. It's like that.

And should one be silent or is music allowed.
Whatever works for you. I generally use music that is appropriate.

I notice that some forms of mediation take the form of chanting or reciting melodiously Words of the Great Teachers. Or mantras? We recite "Allah'u'Abha" 95 times each day.
Is this like the Sufis? Do you chant this as they do?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well. I'm not debating anymore; so, this would be more comparative religion. Meditating, for me, is reflection and prayer rather than breathing and siting. It's mostly drawing and being involved with some form of art whether it be dancing in more extravagant rituals or more day-to-day ones where I say thank you to the sun and just reflect on being here another day.

1. How do YOU meditate
I have an altar with my family pictures on it. My art/journal book and a candle I light every morning and evening. I have a short prayer or sit in the spirits and ancestors presence. Breathing helps me listen but it's not the core of my practice.

2 How does ONE meditate
There are many ways people meditate. It's hard to name all of them but the ones people think of is siting down and breathing exercises, buddhism, and things of that nature.
Scientists and non religionists meditate so this is inclusive for all to contribute. How do people who aren't religious view meditation? Do you meditate?
Meditation isn't religious in nature. In psychology, during therapy, the therapist may give his or her client breathing exercises. The one thing we can control, my therapist says, is our breathe. He also helps me by art therapy. I don't see religion separate from science of psychology (in this case). Whether one calls it religion is personal preference.
Is mediation the same as relaxation therapy when one just stops thinking?
The "stop thinking" meditation is more to train one's mind not to have distracting thoughts. In Zen, the objective is to let the thoughts come and go without being attached to them rather than forcing yourself to not think. Relaxation is a result of all meditative types. When we pray, for example, we tend to relax and our minds become clear. Its no specific to religion; and, religion helps.
And should one be silent or is music allowed. I notice that some forms of mediation take the form of chanting or reciting melodiously Words of the Great Teachers. Or mantras?
Yes, there are different types. When I practiced Nichiren Buddhism, we chanted. I practiced Zen years ago, but it's more siting and awareness. Music is allowed. As long as it helps ground you and be in that place with god, for example, the spirits, or with other people centered with breathe, and their passion among other things, there isn't really rules for meditation unless you follow a specific religion that has it.
Could you also provide links and information about your system of meditation as I'm sure those interested may wish to explore further?

Honoring one's ancestors
is a good meditative technique by action. What we do for others is just as meditative as siting. Put in a god-perspective, while it is good to pray, prayer and reflection can also involve action-what you do and say.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
well it's icehorse actually :)

It can help me in several ways. It can quiet my mind when my mind gets to racing. It helps me get better at detached observation. It can help me - indirectly - be creative.

Sorry about that icehorse.

Detached observation is a good state to be in.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Well. I'm not debating anymore; so, this would be more comparative religion. Meditating, for me, is reflection and prayer rather than breathing and siting. It's mostly drawing and being involved with some form of art whether it be dancing in more extravagant rituals or more day-to-day ones where I say thank you to the sun and just reflect on being here another day.

I have an altar with my family pictures on it. My art/journal book and a candle I light every morning and evening. I have a short prayer or sit in the spirits and ancestors presence. Breathing helps me listen but it's not the core of my practice.

There are many ways people meditate. It's hard to name all of them but the ones people think of is siting down and breathing exercises, buddhism, and things of that nature.

Meditation isn't religious in nature. In psychology, during therapy, the therapist may give his or her client breathing exercises. The one thing we can control, my therapist says, is our breathe. He also helps me by art therapy. I don't see religion separate from science of psychology (in this case). Whether one calls it religion is personal preference.

The "stop thinking" meditation is more to train one's mind not to have distracting thoughts. In Zen, the objective is to let the thoughts come and go without being attached to them rather than forcing yourself to not think. Relaxation is a result of all meditative types. When we pray, for example, we tend to relax and our minds become clear. Its no specific to religion; and, religion helps.

Yes, there are different types. When I practiced Nichiren Buddhism, we chanted. I practiced Zen years ago, but it's more siting and awareness. Music is allowed. As long as it helps ground you and be in that place with god, for example, the spirits, or with other people centered with breathe, and their passion among other things, there isn't really rules for meditation unless you follow a specific religion that has it.

Honoring one's ancestors
is a good meditative technique by action. What we do for others is just as meditative as siting. Put in a god-perspective, while it is good to pray, prayer and reflection can also involve action-what you do and say.

Carlita, that was very helpful. Thank you. Myself, I find myself reflecting a lot and contemplation.

I try to remain in a state of gratitude. Gratefulness for life, food, water, people, just being able to feel and experience.

I am very fortunate. All my life I have been surrounded by the goodness of people. Just sharing what you have has filled me with appreciation as I found it so helpful for me personally.

I want you to know I have a very high opinion of you and I see you as a beautiful person with many wonderful attributes and I learn a lot from you.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I do a sitting meditation each morning for a little over an hour. Mediation is not "thinking" about something in a serious manner, but letting go of trying to understand with the mind, and letting Light enter in instead. It is all a process of letting go, and letting go, and letting go... Meditation is the action of allowing.

Using whatever technique allows one's letting go of trying to understand with the mind. Whatever works to that end, is the right way to meditate.

Yeah, no. It's not about reflection. It's not about conceptualizations. It's the opposite of that.

Interesting? That's an odd description. Did you experience meditation yourself, or was it an intellectual thing for you?

Relaxation is just a mere by-product. And it's really not about "stop thinking". It's really more about letting thoughts not be distracting to Awareness itself. It's about being Aware, rather than engaging in discursive thoughts where you get carried away in the narrative that passes before you. It's very hard to describe this to someone whose never experienced that. Imagine sitting at the bottom of a river, and simply watching all the junk on the surface pass before you, while you remain fixed and unmoved at the bottom safely away from all the debris above. It's like that.

Whatever works for you. I generally use music that is appropriate.

Is this like the Sufis? Do you chant this as they do?

Thanks very much Windwalker for these very helpful pointers about meditation.

To answer your question. We (my wife and I, she is Burmese) were at a monastery in Burma for a couple of weeks learning mainly breathing techniques.

When we had meals we had to do everything slow motion. Spoon to soup, spoon to mouth. We had to walk one step at a time and weren't allowed to speak at all. Everything was about slowing down the body processes to slow down the mind.

I find it very helpful to go into this meditative mode where nothing else exists only awareness and breathing.

This is an example of the chanting of the Name of Baha'u'llah.
It is said that when the verses of Baha'u'llah are chanted in the most melodious of tones we will be able to inhale the divine fragrance of the world's of God with which nothing on earth or heaven can compare.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Meditations to get rid of Hurtful emotions and Bad habits
meditation by bk sister shivani on different emotions/topics - YouTube

Rajyog Meditation : Connecting with The Supreme and receiving His powers

Hi Tabu,

Incredible!

I love the voice of Sister Shivani so much. Is there anywhere I can buy her recordings digitally for my iPad? I really loved the one of hurtful emotions as I was hurt by someone a long time ago and the hurt stayed with me for many years.

Thank you very much for these awesome videos and I appreciate any more talks you have as I enjoyed the talk about control. I could listen to it all day. Very compelling, common sense and very helpful and spiritual.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting thread!

Here's a little Osho -

"Meditation is not anything of the mind, it is something beyond the mind. The first step is to be playful about it. If you are playful about it, mind cannot destroy your meditation. Otherwise it will turn it into another ego trip; it will make you very serious. You will start thinking, 'I am a great meditator. I am holier than other people, and the whole world is just worldly – I am religious, I am virtuous.' That's what has happened to thousands of so-called saints, moralists, puritans: they are just playing ego games, subtle ego games."

Much more at his site -

What Is Meditation? Playful

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Interesting thread!

Here's a little Osho -

"Meditation is not anything of the mind, it is something beyond the mind. The first step is to be playful about it. If you are playful about it, mind cannot destroy your meditation. Otherwise it will turn it into another ego trip; it will make you very serious. You will start thinking, 'I am a great meditator. I am holier than other people, and the whole world is just worldly – I am religious, I am virtuous.' That's what has happened to thousands of so-called saints, moralists, puritans: they are just playing ego games, subtle ego games."

Much more at his site -

What Is Meditation? Playful

That's a great site. Many thanks Geoff for going to the trouble to link it here.I bookmarked it and am having a browse through it.

I wonder if everyone meditated would the world be a much better place?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Though I am still a newbie at meditation I'd be happy to spread what little I have learned thus for from the last 40+ years... :)

1. How do YOU meditate
Given that I have been at this quite awhile now I have the benefit of being able to slip into various meditative states of consciousness in a nanosecond. For example, while I write, a portion of my awareness is within a given meditate state in order to promote clarity in my answers that I am writing. I simply "move" my attention from one to the other. It's a bit hard to describe beyond that.

Normally, I sit in 1/2 lotus, as I'm getting older now and full lotus can be trying, LOL. I prefer to keep my back straight and with eyes closed stare into the centre of my field of vision. All thoughts quickly move into the background. It's sort of like plying through the winds of a hurricane to the dead calm centre. I do this for about 20-25 min twice daily. Once upon awakening and another an hour or so before I make dinner.

2 How does ONE meditate
There simply are not a lot of rules, however, that said, as a rule (pun intended) one seeks to still the thought process and move away from thoughts altogether. How one does this is pretty much up to the individual. Some require external incentives for mood and preparation, others like myself simply plunge ever inwards. The main thing though is that when you catch yourself thinking, don't beat yourself up, feeling that you have failed. Just slowly move your attention back to the centre of your field of vision, do your mantra or whatever you do and glide forward.

Bahá’u’lláh states: “The source of crafts, sciences and arts is the power of reflection.

And "One hour's reflection is preferable to seventy years of pious worship" (Book of Certitude)
Technically, that is not meditation, certainly not in the "eastern" sense. It's not about thinking, it's not about contemplation. It's about touching, living, feeling the wellspring of creative intelligence.

I am a so-called strong atheist and meditation is perhaps the reason why I have left religion far, very far, behind me. I don't need it any longer. My experiences have been so utterly amazing that I know deep inside that religions are simply fictional narratives for those who do not have the benefit of my experiences sort of like how Braille was made for the blind.

Is mediation the same as relaxation therapy when one just stops thinking? And should one be silent or is music allowed. I notice that some forms of mediation take the form of chanting or reciting melodiously Words of the Great Teachers. Or mantras? We recite "Allah'u'Abha" 95 times each day.
I am not a fan of using music during meditation but understand why some folks think it is ok. I find it distracting. And yes, I still occasionally use my personal mantra, but no longer truly need it.

So many years ago I was initiated into Transcendental Marination... though I've morphed a tad beyond that. It was a very helpful, non-devotional, technique and one that I highly recommend. Never cared for much of Maharishi's ravings though.... can't win 'em all, I suppose. :D

Transcendental Meditation - Wikipedia

Last edited:

RESOLUTION

1. How do YOU meditate
2 How does ONE meditate

I have come across some very interesting groups here such as the Brahma Kumaris and enjoyed a video speaking about self control. Also, I spent five years in Burma where I attended monasteries and took part in meditation classes which I found very interesting.

Your title says:-
'How do you Mediate?' It should be -' How do you Meditate?'.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Though I am still a newbie at meditation I'd be happy to spread what little I have learned thus for from the last 40+ years... :)

Given that I have been at this quite awhile now I have the benefit of being able to slip into various meditative states of consciousness in a nanosecond. For example, while I write, a portion of my awareness is within a given meditate state in order to promote clarity in my answers that I am writing. I simply "move" from my attention from one to the other. It's a bit hard to describe beyond that.

Normally, I sit in 1/2 lotus, as I'm getting older now and full lotus can be trying, LOL. I prefer to keep my back straight and with eyes closed stare into the centre of my field of vision. All thoughts quickly move into the background. It's sort of like plying through the winds of a hurricane to the dead calm centre. I do this for about 20-25 min twice daily. Once upon awakening and another an hour or so before I make dinner.

There simply are not a lot of rules, however, that said, as a rule (pun intended) one seeks to still the thought process and move away from thoughts altogether. How one does this is pretty much up to the individual. Some require external incentives for mood an preparation, others like myself simply plunge ever inwards. The main thing though is that when you catch yourself thinking, don't beat yourself up, feeling that you have failed. Just slowly move your attention back to the centre of your field of vision, do your mantra or whatever you do and glide forward.

Technically, that is not meditation, certainly not in the "eastern" sense. It's not about thinking, it's not about contemplation. It's about touching, living, feeling the wellspring of creative intelligence.

I am a so-called strong atheist and meditation is perhaps the reason why I have left religion far, very far, behind me. I don't need it any longer. My experiences have been so utterly amazing that I know deep inside that religions are simply fictional narratives for those who do not have the benefit of my experiences sort of like how Braile was made for the blind.

I am not a fan of using music during meditation but understand why some folks think it is ok. I find it distracting. And yes, I still occasionally use my personal mantra, but no longer truly need it.

So many years ago I was initiated into Transcendental Marination... though I've morphed a tad beyond that. It was a very helpful, non-devotional, technique and one that I highly recommend. Never cared for much of Maharishi's ravings though.... can't win 'em all, I suppose. :D

Transcendental Meditation - Wikipedia

Thank you very much for your contribution. It is helpful to me as I am still trying to learn about meditation. Although I believe in it when it comes to practicing it I am unsure of what type of meditation to do and your post and others here have helped me a lot.

Tell me, what sorts of things do you get out of your meditation? What does it do to you or for you? Again, your post was very helpful. Thank you.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To answer your question. We (my wife and I, she is Burmese) were at a monastery in Burma for a couple of weeks learning mainly breathing techniques.

When we had meals we had to do everything slow motion. Spoon to soup, spoon to mouth. We had to walk one step at a time and weren't allowed to speak at all. Everything was about slowing down the body processes to slow down the mind.
Yes, those can be useful techniques to quiet the mind, to help center and ground you. But there's something more I wish to add about meditation here...

I find it very helpful to go into this meditative mode where nothing else exists only awareness and breathing.
When you say this have you entered into those states yourself? Have you experienced that Stillness, where you are not your thoughts but Awareness itself? Quieting the mind through things like chant, mindfulness practices (as you described above), etc., are simply one of many keys we may choose to use to unlock that Door. But entering into that spaciousness where you are beyond thought and conceptions is actually meditating. The rest are tools and techniques towards that goal.

There's a clever story I read once that speaks of that. A young monk proudly says to his master, "Master, I practice meditation all the time, morning, noon, and night!" To which the master said, "That's good. But at some point you need to stop practicing and start meditating".

A brief word about breathing exercises. Like any meditative techniques these are tools. You don't have to count or focus on breathing, but can if it is helpful to do so at that moment as an aide. But what I find is that when I enter into deeper meditative states, my breathing just changes on its own.

Just yesterday morning I entered into such a state of utter Silence, I detecting my body's breathing had slowed to hardly but a whisper, with practically no movement at all, as if I was not breathing at all, nor really had the need to. Other times, it breathes in deeply the whole of the Universe itself into my Being and exhales as it were Life to the whole of Creation. As I said, there are tools, keys to open the Door, and then there is actually entering into that Door that was never even there to begin with. The "gateless gate", as it were. Meditation is meditating, not practicing.

This is an example of the chanting of the Name of Baha'u'llah.
It is said that when the verses of Baha'u'llah are chanted in the most melodious of tones we will be able to inhale the divine fragrance of the world's of God with which nothing on earth or heaven can compare.
Chants can be helpful to be sure. I found an interesting book about chanting you may find useful as he explores chant and its effects across the world. Chanting: Discovering Spirit in Sound: Robert Gass, Kathleen A. Brehony: 9780767903226: Amazon.com: Books

What is good in all these techniques is that it "introduces" you to what lays beyond ourselves, into Spirit, as it were. They can be quite helpful, but you need to bear in mind they are not the end in themselves. You take their hand and let the lead you beyond them into "God", or whatever word you want to call that which is beyond conceptions, such as "God" itself as we hold in our minds.

This by the way, is why elsewhere I've urged you not to hold truths so tightly with your mind you consider them to be "infallible". Once you do that, you will be stuck at that thought and go no further in Light itself.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

1. How do YOU meditate
2 How does ONE meditate

I have always thought meditation has a yield
if you gained nothing.....you wasted your time

so....things of science are dealt by a disciplined line of thought
that kind of meditation has rules

things of the heart with emotional strings.....are played out with imagination
daydreams....composing of music.....artwork

things of the spirit.....are both at once.
imagine God and heaven
and think logically.... how to stand well

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yes, those can be useful techniques to quiet the mind, to help center and ground you. But there's something more I wish to add about meditation here...

When you say this have you entered into those states yourself? Have you experienced that Stillness, where you are not your thoughts but Awareness itself? Quieting the mind through things like chant, mindfulness practices (as you described above), etc., are simply one of many keys we may choose to use to unlock that Door. But entering into that spaciousness where you are beyond thought and conceptions is actually meditating. The rest are tools and techniques towards that goal.

There's a clever story I read once that speaks of that. A young monk proudly says to his master, "Master, I practice meditation all the time, morning, noon, and night!" To which the master said, "That's good. But at some point you need to stop practicing and start meditating".

A brief word about breathing exercises. Like any meditative techniques these are tools. You don't have to count or focus on breathing, but can if it is helpful to do so at that moment as an aide. But what I find is that when I enter into deeper meditative states, my breathing just changes on its own.

Just yesterday morning I entered into such a state of utter Silence, I detecting my body's breathing had slowed to hardly but a whisper, with practically no movement at all, as if I was not breathing at all, nor really had the need to. Other times, it breathes in deeply the whole of the Universe itself into my Being and exhales as it were Life to the whole of Creation. As I said, there are tools, keys to open the Door, and then there is actually entering into that Door that was never even there to begin with. The "gateless gate", as it were. Meditation is meditating, not practicing.

Chants can be helpful to be sure. I found an interesting book about chanting you may find useful as he explores chant and its effects across the world. Chanting: Discovering Spirit in Sound: Robert Gass, Kathleen A. Brehony: 9780767903226: Amazon.com: Books

What is good in all these techniques is that it "introduces" you to what lays beyond ourselves, into Spirit, as it were. They can be quite helpful, but you need to bear in mind they are not the end in themselves. You take their hand and let the lead you beyond them into "God", or whatever word you want to call that which is beyond conceptions, such as "God" itself as we hold in our minds.

This by the way, is why elsewhere I've urged you not to hold truths so tightly with your mind you consider them to be "infallible". Once you do that, you will be stuck at that thought and go no further in Light itself.
Wonderful stuff, as always, @Windwalker

Just thought I'd confirm that when you actually notice that your breathing has stopped altogether and oddly, you are good with it... then slowly take a long breath in... ... we really have to meet some day... there is so much for us to not talk about. :cool::Do_O

Tabu

Hi Tabu,

Incredible!

I love the voice of Sister Shivani so much. Is there anywhere I can buy her recordings digitally for my iPad? I really loved the one of hurtful emotions as I was hurt by someone a long time ago and the hurt stayed with me for many years.

Thank you very much for these awesome videos and I appreciate any more talks you have as I enjoyed the talk about control. I could listen to it all day. Very compelling, common sense and very helpful and spiritual.
Thanks,
For sure , Sister Shivani is a wonderful person , and many have benefitted from her lectures including me , her lectures have tamed me for sure :) , otherwise I had the nature of getting angry and irritated quickly.

With Brahma Kumaris I gained this realization that the only person I can really change is myself and hence set on this wonderful journey of self realization and self empowerment.
Some of the many wonderful quotes I learnt here are
1. The stage of contentment is always victorious over situations.
2.My thoughts are my creation , and I have to become the master of my creation
3.Always have good expectations and good wishes for people.
4. Happiness is a decision .
5. Truth is complete integrity of thoughts ,words and deeds.
6. What is not worth saying is also not worth keeping in thoughts.
7. You radiate only those qualities which are within you , so for example to make others happy you need to be happy first , and same is true for love , peace ..
and most important " We are souls , intrinsically good , on a journey playing different roles and the roles do not define us , but the intrinsic goodness within us defines us.
And God is the reservoir of all this goodness from whom I can draw my powers.
8 . When I am detached from my role ,I am able to fulfill my role much more efficiently.
9. By being detached and a distant observer I get a better perspective which is the birds eye view of myself and situations.
The list is endless , but for convenience ,I stop here,
Where to buy CDs ? I never felt the need for it , since all of them are available on YouTube on her account,
bk shivani
but since you have asked I looked for them on web , and found that amazon.in sells them , here is the linkshttp://www.amazon.in/Awakening-Brahma-Kumaris-Self-Management/dp/B006QKT46Y
This link has all the other meditations in Sister Shivani's voice like overcoming jealousy, sorrow ,hurt, guilt and also getting rid of bad habits.
meditation by bk sister shivani on different emotions/topics - YouTube