• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Prophets smell?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
John the Baptist wore Camel's hair and lived in the wilderness on locusts and wild honey.

Elijah, Elisha, and the "school of Prophets" on mount carmel were like that.

That's great, but my worst fear about it is how much I would smell without a shower, no toilet paper, no deodorant, tooth brush, floss, and tooth paste. Or how greasy my hair would get with no shampoo.

It sounds like these cave-dwellers and wilderness Prophets must have reaked to high heaven!

Noah allegedly lived 900+ years without a shower, without a dentist, toothbrush, or toothpaste. I can't imagine his teeth lasting that long, and a mouth in super need of Listerine. :eek:

Im assuming Jesus and nearly all Biblical figures had similar challenges.

Doesn't that sound rough to you?
I wish God would send us a new miracle--working prophet, who has good hygiene and speaks in a way that makes more sense to a modern world.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I just couldn't imagine living life like that or being a woman on my period. Sure they sometimes had rags, but anyway, it just sounds miserable living without modern hygiene products.

It would suck living life without a shower, sink, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, deodorant, dentist, or basic healthcare.

For so many centuries people didn't have those luxuries and still over half the world does not!

rocala

You do not have to go back to biblical times. It was pretty similar in many working class areas less than a century ago.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You do not have to go back to biblical times. It was pretty similar in many working class areas less than a century ago.
It sounds terrible.

Even today there are people living in huts made of mud and animal poop, and they have no well, and spend significant amounts of time hauling water back and forth that isn't even sometimes good to drink.

Countless millions suffer from water scarcity as we speak and have no toilet, washing machine, or plumbing.

Sounds like hell!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
John the Baptist wore Camel's hair and lived in the wilderness on locusts and wild honey.

That's great, but my worst fear about it is how much I would smell without a shower, no toilet paper, no deodorant, tooth brush, floss, and tooth paste. Or how greasy my hair would get with no shampoo.

It sounds like these cave-dwellers and wilderness Prophets must have reaked to high heaven!

Noah allegedly lived 900+ years without a shower, without a dentist, toothbrush, or toothpaste. I can't imagine his teeth lasting that long, and a mouth in super need of Listerine. :eek:

I wish God would send us a new miracle--working prophet, who has good hygiene and speaks in a way that makes more sense to a modern world.

It is a myth that Noah lived 900+ years.

Bathing, and other hygenic cultural practices evolved, rather artificial Victorian conveniences, and not part of the nature of primal humans.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How do Prophets smell?

With their nose.

Its Its only in recent times that personal hygiene has become common.

For hundreds of years, bathing was considered dangerous

I have just visited a chateau where there was a washing place for clothes, 6 washer women could work side by side. The guide book said it was used twice a year.

In times of yore everyone stank so it was normal.

David T

Premium Member

They smell with their nose.

Phantasman

I'm sure it was a time when they used to the common smells (animal skins, common area toilets, etc.). I'm even sure trash wasn't by todays standards of someone picking it up and taking it to landfills. Dirt floors except for the elite.

I used to go to a NC town that had a paper mill that stunk within 20 miles of arrival. Residents were used to it and said to them it smelled like money (since they all worked there). We have become a fearful people over time. Wearing masks, hand sanitizers, and germaphobes. It's a wonder man even survived by those standards.

Even camping requires a close shower.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
How do Prophets smell?

With their nose.

Its Its only in recent times that personal hygiene has become common.

For hundreds of years, bathing was considered dangerous

I have just visited a chateau where there was a washing place for clothes, 6 washer women could work side by side. The guide book said it was used twice a year.

In times of yore everyone stank so it was normal.
Which is why perfume became such a lucrative trade!

David1967

Premium Member
You see @PopeADope , this is a good example of why you should not deprive RF of your threads.:D

As far as the OP is concerned. I would imagine they smelled horrible, but, Keep in mind, much of the population likely smelled the same way, so it probably would not have been an issue. Just think, no deodorant , or other smell good products. Bathing was probably not that frequent either. If we could travel back in time with our modern noses, the stench would likely gag us all.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You see @PopeADope , this is a good example of why you should not deprive RF of your threads.:D

As far as the OP is concerned. I would imagine they smelled horrible, but, Keep in mind, much of the population likely smelled the same way, so it probably would not have been an issue. Just think, no deodorant , or other smell good products. Bathing was probably not that frequent either. If we could travel back in time with our modern noses, the stench would likely gag us all.
Yes, totally! :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
With their noses, silly. Just like non-prophets.
Okay okay...the title of this thread ruined the whole thing....waaaa! :facepalm:

Still, being greasy, grimy, dirty, sweaty, plaque on teeth, rancid breath, and not having soap for my scrotum and junk, just sounds like a living hell! :cryingcat:

I can't believe it used to be normal to live like that! :flushed:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Okay okay...the title of this thread ruined the whole thing....waaaa! :facepalm:

Still, being greasy, grimy, dirty, sweaty, plaque on teeth, rancid breath, and not having soap for my scrotum and junk, just sounds like a living hell! :cryingcat:

I can't believe it used to be normal to live like that! :flushed:

It was very very normal.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It was very very normal.
For half the world, it still is
images (41).jpeg