• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey bigots, I am a bigot too! #bigoty

CynthiaCypher

I took the Age test, I only have a very slight preference for young people. I usually get along with both in real life.

samosasauce

I took the Religion IAT

Turns out I prefer Buddhism the most, followed by a tie of Christianity and Islam, followed slightly by Judaism...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
When it comes to religion, I have the most favourable views toward Buddhism, followed by Christianity, which sits ever so slightly above Judaism and Islam, which are tied with one another.

Well, yeah, but how is that a form of bigotry? Is pretending that all religions are equally valid, sensible, rational, substantiated, etc. an actual expectation?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not sober, if that means anything:

ImplicitAssociationTest2014-08-2322-39-34_zps5ce40791.png

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I took one of the tests; Association of Native Americans and Whites: It appears I associate white Americans with foreignors, with Native Americans as American (slight). I guess I shouldn't be surprised with that, since I am 1/2 Navajo.

I am not sure, however, that I really trust the results of these tests.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I took the "African American" and "European American" test. It said I showed a slight preference for African American.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well, yeah, but how is that a form of bigotry? Is pretending that all religions are equally valid, sensible, rational, substantiated, etc. an actual expectation?

The bigotry title for the thread is a subtle bit of humour. It's a form of bias. I'm not one of those people who thinks bias must always be avoided.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It is a bias but not necessarily bigotry. When we know we are biased we can compensate for it if we so choose.

I have a preference for asparagus over brocolli, but that doesn't mean I will always choose to buy and eat asparagus.;) It's how you choose. You can compensate for a certain unconcious preference. Some people, however overcompensate.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have a preference for asparagus over brocolli, but that doesn't mean I will always choose to buy and eat asparagus.;) It's how you choose. You can compensate for a certain unconcious preference. Some people, however overcompensate.

Exactly! :) I overcompensate. I pretty much always support the underdog. My husband too. Made it funny watching the world cup. We always felt terrible for the losers, and if they pulled ahead we'd start feeling terrible for the other guys. Lol.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think the test makes us consider how we tend to lump large groups of individuals into simplistic categories, leading to highly inaccurate assumptions about what it means to be "gay" or "black".

The test forces the taker to lump large groups together. I don't know how the other tests work, but the gay straight one divided everybody into one of the groups. That certainly isn't how I operate in real life. And my results might have been different had I not taken my first test on the way home from an art event that included a bit of vino. It took a while for me to get that the couple who appeared to be a wedding couple were gay. What I saw was a happy couple. Their gender wasn't obvious on the little pic.

I think the test results were more of a lucky guess than significant, at least. In real life I am responding to a lot more than words on a screen. I respond more to how a person speaks/comports than their orientation or skin tone or gender.
It also seems that the tacit assumption is that opinions are strongly shaped by media. I don't even have a TV really. I don't watch other people's either. TV hasn't been much of an influence on me since Northern Exposure went off the air.

It will be interesting to see my results on a race test. I know I have an automatic preference for white people. I had to struggle against the results of growing up in a very white world. I seem to have succeeded as I was elected to the board of the local NAACP branch.

Tom

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
MENTAL HEALTH

Your implicit data suggest that you strongly associate DANGEROUS more with PHYSICALLY ILL PEOPLE than MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE.

Doing this one, my brain didn't really want to switch between colored words as easily as the pictures. This is a bit odd.

NATIVE IAT
Your data suggest a moderate association of White Am. with Foreign and Native Am. with American compared to Native Am. with Foreign and White Am. with American.

Perhaps because most the Foreign places were European? (Counting Moscow...)
SEXUALITY
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Gay People compared to Straight People.

Nope, just like the gays apparently.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Just took the religion test. Mine included Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Hinduism.

I scored Christianity about 3/4 up the scale, Judaism and Islam in the middle, and Hinduism at about 1/4 up the scale.

Again, I'd really like to look under the hood of these tests, as it seems to me, in my case, that my scores are primarily a reflection of level of familiarity with the different religious terms, as opposed to anything to do with preference.

In other words, the measured speed of associating the different religious terms with positive terms seems more explainable as a function of quicker identification of the religious terms. Since I've grown up in a primarily Christian society, I'm most familiar with Christian terms. I'm less familiar with Judaism and Islam, but about equally familiar with those two. I'm the least familiar with terms related to Hinduism.

My personal opinions and views of these religions would rank Judaism in the best light, followed by Hinduism, then Christianity, and lastly Islam, so the validity of this test seems highly suspect to me.

Alceste

Vagabond
Just took the religion test. Mine included Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Hinduism.

I scored Christianity about 3/4 up the scale, Judaism and Islam in the middle, and Hinduism at about 1/4 up the scale.

Again, I'd really like to look under the hood of these tests, as it seems to me, in my case, that my scores are primarily a reflection of level of familiarity with the different religious terms, as opposed to anything to do with preference.

In other words, the measured speed of associating the different religious terms with positive terms seems more explainable as a function of quicker identification of the religious terms. Since I've grown up in a primarily Christian society, I'm most familiar with Christian terms. I'm less familiar with Judaism and Islam, but about equally familiar with those two. I'm the least familiar with terms related to Hinduism.

My personal opinions and views of these religions would rank Judaism in the best light, followed by Hinduism, then Christianity, and lastly Islam, so the validity of this test seems highly suspect to me.

Did your religion test not also include a segment where you associated positive or negative words with each religion? I think mine did.

I agree the word association part was kind of pointless, and undermined the results. I'm not the only one who was tripped up by the pairing of Abraham and Judaism, and I am not sure why some of us are getting Hinduism while others are getting Buddhism.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Did your religion test not also include a segment where you associated positive or negative words with each religion? I think mine did.

No, mine just had a number of sections which were "press I for (religion x) or positive and press E for anything else." Each religion was randomly repeated in this fashion 3 or 4 times.

I agree the word association part was kind of pointless, and undermined the results. I'm not the only one who was tripped up by the pairing of Abraham and Judaism, and I am not sure why some of us are getting Hinduism while others are getting Buddhism.

It's possible that the Buddhism/Hinduism variance could be used as a type of control for the test if you're assuming a western bias in test participants. However, I doubt this is the case.

Overall, I think there could be something to the methodology and process behind these tests. However, the implementation and execution doesn't seem to merit any solid conclusions given the brevity of the tests, along with not controlling for other variables which could be impacting response fluctuations. Additionally, I saw no explanation or discussion regarding the underlying validity of the core methodology of the tests, or how they went about determining how accurate or valid the method is.

In the results summary I think I recall them mentioning that the results should be used only for entertainment, and I think this recommendation is probably well advised.

Alceste

Vagabond
No, mine just had a number of sections which were "press I for (religion x) or positive and press E for anything else." Each religion was randomly repeated in this fashion 3 or 4 times.

It's possible that the Buddhism/Hinduism variance could be used as a type of control for the test if you're assuming a western bias in test participants. However, I doubt this is the case.

Overall, I think there could be something to the methodology and process behind these tests. However, the implementation and execution doesn't seem to merit any solid conclusions given the brevity of the tests, along with not controlling for other variables which could be impacting response fluctuations. Additionally, I saw no explanation or discussion regarding the underlying validity of the core methodology of the tests, or how they went about determining how accurate or valid the method is.

In the results summary I think I recall them mentioning that the results should be used only for entertainment, and I think this recommendation is probably well advised.

I agree. I have found them to be entertaining, at least. They haven't told me anything about myself I didn't already know, but it is interesting to for me to consider the disconnect between my conscious and unconscious views.