• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey bigots, I am a bigot too! #bigoty

Alceste

Vagabond
So I've stumbled upon these nifty little games - implicit association tests. They're so cool. Think you're "fair and balanced"? Prove it: take a test and share your result.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

I've taken two. I have a slight preference for light skinned people over dark skinned people.

When it comes to religion, I have the most favourable views toward Buddhism, followed by Christianity, which sits ever so slightly above Judaism and Islam, which are tied with one another.

I found the first result a little surprising (and embarrassing), but the second one comes as no surprise. :)

alceste-albums-uploads-picture5635-bias.jpg

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm up for it. But, which ones did you take? There are quite a few.

I took the Race IAT and the Religion IAT.

I will probably take more, but I picked those ones first because I was already aware of and curious about these particular biases.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Your data suggests:
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Light Skinned People compared to Dark Skinned People.

Interesting test. I wonder what would have happened if the test questions were reversed, in terms of associations?
Definitely felt like the first part of the test wired my brain to respond in a certain way.
I'll try the religion one at some point too.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oooh...from the FAQs...(addresses one of my thoughts)

Could the result be a function of the order in which I did the two parts? I had to group one category together with pleasant words first. I then found it difficult when I later had to group the other category with pleasant words.
Answer: The order in which tests are administered does make a difference in some tests to the overall result. However, the difference is small and recent changes to the test have sharply reduced the influence of order. Because of this order effect, the orders used for IATs presented on this website are assigned at random. For any data we present, we are careful to be sure that half the test-takers got the A then B order and the other half got the B then A order. With the revised task design, the order has only a minimal influence on task performance. If you want to check whether the order made a difference for you, you can take the test again and complete it if you get assigned to the reverse order. If you do take the test twice in different orders and get different outcomes, the best estimate of your result is intermediate between the two. For more information about the order effect, see this paper (Nosek, Greenwald, & Banaji, in press).

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I took the Race IAT and the Religion IAT.

I will probably take more, but I picked those ones first because I was already aware of and curious about these particular biases.
Ok. There's one titled Skin Tone IAT so I wanted to take the same one. I don't think I'll be surprised by my results but it definitely won't be because of bigoty. lol. I'm just attracted what I'm attracted to. So....we'll see.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No religion on the Australian list?

Weight
Skin-tone
Sexuality
Countries
Aboriginal
That's it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok. There's one titled Skin Tone IAT so I wanted to take the same one. I don't think I'll be surprised by my results but it definitely won't be because of bigoty. lol. I'm just attracted what I'm attracted to. So....we'll see.

Yeah...I actually took skin tone.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Wow, 14 views and yet no-one has yet had the courage to take a test and share their results?
I'm a technoluddite who is hesitant to register on this sort of thing from my mobile, especially when they require a email address. I've never even bought anything online. I am that old-fashioned.

But I will try to remember to do it when I get to a public computer and can use the fake yahoo account l generally use for such things.

I bet I'm more bigoted than you are though. Betcha betcha betcha....

Tom

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm a technoluddite who is hesitant to register on this sort of thing from my mobile, especially when they require a email address. I've never even bought anything online. I am that old-fashioned.

But I will try to remember to do it when I get to a public computer and can use the fake yahoo account l generally use for such things.

Tom

You don't need to register nor supply an email address.

I'll be back later to discuss my results!

Alceste

Vagabond
Interesting test. I wonder what would have happened if the test questions were reversed, in terms of associations?
Definitely felt like the first part of the test wired my brain to respond in a certain way.
I'll try the religion one at some point too.

Yes, I also wondered if the order in which the associations were presented might have had an influence on the results. In my test, the positive / white correlations were presented first and the negative / black correlations were presented second. My gut response was to speculate that because I'd had practice correlating white and good associations, I struggled with the opposite iteration that followed. Then I realized that in every other activity I have ever tried on the face of the earth, practice made me BETTER at playing, not worse. So it makes no rational sense to assume that the last association test I performed over the course of 10 minutes of button clicking delivered my most inaccurate results. So yes, I am a probably, slightly, a racist. And that's OK, as long as I don't want to be.

The religious test settled some of my questions about the previous test by comparing every religion on the list to every other one, which is a sequence complex enough that you'd have to be mad to believe the order of the associations had any influence on your test results. This is how I realized that my belief that my previous test result was contingent on the order of the choices presented was probably false.

Thank you for taking it. :) Would you mind revealing your result?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Wow, 14 views and yet no-one has yet had the courage to take a test and share their results?

I would have.......
But you have to register....
And I felt sure that the mental health one would write me off as a total raging nutter......
And I knew (as soon as I read your basic results on the socio one) that I would do about the same.... or worse. :eek:

Alceste

Vagabond

Tom

There is the option of taking the test as a guest and not registering. I hope you will! I'm more interested in this particular discussion than any other one that is currently underway on RF.

Alceste

Vagabond
I would have.......
But you have to register....
And I felt sure that the mental health one would write me off as a total raging nutter......
And I knew (as soon as I read your basic results on the socio one) that I would do about the same.... or worse. :eek:

You don't need to register. Look below the "register" widget to the widget underneath.

Viker

Häxan
I already know I'm a spiteful and aggressive bigot. Don't need no fancy pants ivy league school telling me that. Also, I need a new sd card to upgrade to the latest flash player.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You don't need to register nor supply an email address.

I'll be back later to discuss my results!
I guess I am just techno stupid. What I saw was a register here button and enter your email address field. I'll try again.

I'd like proving that I am more bigoted than Alceste.

Tom