• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey bigots, I am a bigot too! #bigoty

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I expect none of our results will be a surprise to ourselves or anyone else, but I think it still takes courage to take the test and share our results with one another. We (the debaters in particular) tend to spend a hell of a lot of time on RF pretending we're completely neutral and everybody else is prejudiced.
The second time I got slightly instead of moderately preferred. However, I think that was because at the end where the pull down menu directly asks your preference, I selected I preferred African Americans over European Americans. That might have affected the result. :D

I don't think it's terribly surprising that white folks have a preference for white folks. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that. As stated earlier, it's what we're more familiar and comfortable with. I don't in any stretch think that makes me a bigot, however. You may get some grief with the title of this thread.

Alceste

Vagabond
True on both counts. I do wish to accept my faults and shortcomings but thats not always possible especially in this polarized world and now polarized RF.

I think it's possible. :) My purpose in sharing this exercise and encouraging us to talk about it is to promote our empathy and understanding of ourselves and one another.

The challenge is that our culture tends to portray bias as a character flaw. I see it as a challenge. I believe that we all want to believe we are perfectly reasonable despite the fact that our psychology is perfectly adapted for irrational prejudices of all kinds. I also believe that many of us can become perfectly reasonable, if only we are willing to confront the truth about our own inherent biases.

Alceste

Vagabond
The second time I got slightly instead of moderately preferred. However, I think that was because at the end where the pull down menu directly asks your preference, I selected I preferred African Americans over European Americans. That might have affected the result. :D

I don't think it's terribly surprising that white folks have a preference for white folks. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that. As stated earlier, it's what we're more familiar and comfortable with. I don't in any stretch think that makes me a bigot, however. You may get some grief with the title of this thread.

My hypothesis is that the more of these tests you take, the more your results will pull toward neutrality. It's the principle of practice - as you practice playing the game, your accuracy and lag time will inevitably improve, and those metrics will consequently deliver a more neutral result.

Not to rule out your idea that your answer to the survey questions played a part - I'm just asking myself, "what would a massive science dork do?" (My answer: they would base your individual results on pure reaction test data and use your survey questions to analyze demographic associations relating to the data the test provided).

Edit: with regards to the title of the post, it's a tongue in cheek olive branch to the many, many people I have been accusing of holding bigoted views in recent threads. Yes, they are bigoted, and so am I, and so is everyone. Bias is not inherently bad. Bias is a basic unfortunate fact of human life, like the fact that we have to shove our food into the same tube we use in order to breathe.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
My cyber device struggles to cope with this forum, nevermind fangled tests. And wots "bigoty"???!!

It's an incredibly hilarious* troll for Poeticus, who has OCD when it comes to typos in thread titles. Especially this one.

* if you are on your second bottle of pinot grigio.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
My hypothesis is that the more of these tests you take, the more your results will pull toward neutrality. It's the principle of practice - as you practice playing the game, your accuracy and lag time will inevitably improve, and those metrics will consequently deliver a more neutral result.
Absolutely. That's why if you take into consideration the pull down menu options I selected and "add" them to the "slight preference" you'd come up with my original score, hence the big > :D

Edit: with regards to the title of the post, it's a tongue in cheek olive branch to the many, many people I have been accusing of holding bigoted views in recent threads. Yes, they are bigoted, and so am I, and so is everyone. Bias is not inherently bad. Bias is a basic unfortunate fact of human life, like the fact that we have to shove our food into the same tube we use in order to breathe.
Oh, I got what you're trying to say for sure. It's just that using the word bigoted for this thread is a bit strong and it may turn some people away from wanting to participate. I have no fear, however. :p Have you looked up the word recently? Most dictionary definitions define a bigoted person as having STRONG or INTOLERABLE dislike toward those of other opinions, races, etc. I honestly don't think this test identifies that trait. Preference does not equal bigotry.

Alceste

Vagabond
Absolutely. That's why if you take into consideration the pull down menu options I selected and "add" them to the "slight preference" you'd come up with my original score, hence the big > :D

I am clearly to inebriated to understand what you've just said. *hic*

Oh, I got what you're trying to say for sure. It's just that using the word bigoted for this thread is a bit strong and it may turn some people away from wanting to participate. I have no fear, however. :p Have you looked up the word recently? Most dictionary definitions define a bigoted person as having STRONG or INTOLERABLE dislike toward those of other opinions, races, etc. I honestly don't think this test identifies that trait. Preference does not equal bigotry.

A fair point! And no, I haven't looked it up, probably ever. I was counting on the "WOT?" factor to suck people into this thread, and hoping the content of the OP made it clear that this isn't about calling each other, or ourselves, "bigots". It's... something about psychological projection that I'm presently too drunk to explain. :beach:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
* if you are on your second bottle of pinot grigio.
Jealous. I've recently discovered that I have an allergy to hops, dammit! After all these years I can't drink beer anymore or my face breaks out and I look about 13. It sucks. So, I've had to develop a taste for Pinot Gris as it's called in the Pac NW. You're pretty articulate for being on a second bottle, mi lady.

Alceste

Vagabond
Jealous. I've recently discovered that I have an allergy to hops, dammit! After all these years I can't drink beer anymore or my face breaks out and I look about 13. It sucks. So, I've had to develop a taste for Pinot Gris as it's called in the Pac NW. You're pretty articulate for being on a second bottle, mi lady.

I was actually mistaken. I am on my FOURTH bottle of pinot grigio. I am sharing with my hubby though, so that's only two each. :D

I'm an anomaly. The drunker I get, the looser my tongue, even when I have to type it all out.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I expect none of our results will be a surprise to ourselves or anyone else, but I think it still takes courage to take the test and share our results with one another. We (the debaters in particular) tend to spend a hell of a lot of time on RF pretending we're completely neutral and everybody else is prejudiced.

But I AM completely neutral. The fact that the test indicated I have a slight bias towards white skin just proves that the TEST is biased.
Am I missing something here?

:sarcastic

Alceste

Vagabond
But I AM completely neutral. The fact that the test indicated I have a slight bias towards white skin just proves that the TEST is biased.
Am I missing something here?

:sarcastic

Oh, you gave me a giggle. :D We all know that feel. At least I do.

Here's what I understand about my own psychology: I compensate for my inherent bias, on purpose, because I recognize it is there. So do you. That's what I've seen in the time I've been reading your posts.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, you gave me a giggle. :D We all know that feel. At least I do.

Here's what I understand about my own psychology: I compensate for my inherent bias, on purpose, because I recognize it is there. So do you. That's what I've seen in the time I've been reading your posts.

You read my posts?
I wouldn't recommend that. Not at all. No good will come of it.

(As a psych major, completely qualified to offer pop psychology takes on anything without having a clue, I think you're 100% on the money, btw)

Alceste

Vagabond
You read my posts?
I wouldn't recommend that. Not at all. No good will come of it.

(As a psych major, completely qualified to offer pop psychology takes on anything without having a clue, I think you're 100% on the money, btw)

As an uneducated pothead with no credentials whatsoever, I will value this free psychological assessment until the end of my daysl.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Tried to do a test on my phone. Realised halfway through I need a keyboard. Will have to try again when I can get to my computer.

outhouse

Atheistically
Wow, 14 views and yet no-one has yet had the courage to take a test and share their results?

I took it but stopped part way through. thought test was a test to see how long you would play.

Black good ------- white bad over and over and over

Wirey

Fartist
Your data suggests:
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.

Damn.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I did the "race" test a few years ago. My results were that I had no bias, which was actually a surprise to me since I've been racist before.

Alceste

Vagabond
I took it but stopped part way through. thought test was a test to see how long you would play.

Black good ------- white bad over and over and over

It's funny that you found the cognitive dissonance between associating black and good too uncomfortable even to finish the test. :D

If you'd only stuck it out, you'd have had the opposite associations up next. It is a little repetitive, but that's the point. The larger the data sample, the more accurate the results.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well done, you! I will turn to you for neutral commentary on racial issues in the future. :)

Haha, thanks. :) My mom gets scared around young black men at times because she has been robbed at gunpoint multiple times by black guys and I try to reassure her that not all black people are like that. (I think she has a form of PTSD.)