• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey bigots, I am a bigot too! #bigoty

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There is the option of taking the test as a guest and not registering. I hope you will! I'm more interested in this particular discussion than any other one that is currently underway on RF.

Here's the first part of what I got.

No Study Session
Stack Trace:

java.lang.Exception: No Study Session
at org.uva.ParsedRequest.getStudySession(Unknown Source)
at org.uva.controller.TaskHandlerServlet
.processRequest(TaskHandlerServlet.java:54)
at

What am I supposed to do with that?

Tom

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a technoluddite who is hesitant to register on this sort of thing from my mobile, especially when they require a email address. I've never even bought anything online. I am that old-fashioned.

But I will try to remember to do it when I get to a public computer and can use the fake yahoo account l generally use for such things.

I bet I'm more bigoted than you are though. Betcha betcha betcha....

Tom

I didn't register, Tom...
There is a second link there somewhere, where you can run it as a guest.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm chomping at the bit to hear others openly discuss their specific results and their thoughts on the subject. Three pages in, and still no takers? ;)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I also wondered if the order in which the associations were presented might have had an influence on the results. In my test, the positive / white correlations were presented first and the negative / black correlations were presented second. My gut response was to speculate that because I'd had practice correlating white and good associations, I struggled with the opposite iteration that followed. Then I realized that in every other activity I have ever tried on the face of the earth, practice made me BETTER at playing, not worse. So it makes no rational sense to assume that the last association test I performed over the course of 10 minutes of button clicking delivered my most inaccurate results. So yes, I am a probably, slightly, a racist. And that's OK, as long as I don't want to be.

The religious test settled some of my questions about the previous test by comparing every religion on the list to every other one, which is a sequence complex enough that you'd have to be mad to believe the order of the associations had any influence on your test results. This is how I realized that my belief that my previous test result was contingent on the order of the choices presented was probably false.

Thank you for taking it. :) Would you mind revealing your result?

Already did, in #5, but for ease of reference;

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Light Skinned People compared to Dark Skinned People.

Also, looked at the FAQs, and it did remove some of my doubts on the order bias. Besides which, I'd think the results are pretty accurate. Certainly I am not consciously biased, but I have studied writing enough to believe that every piece has a slant. Thoughts on skin-tone likely follow along the same lines.

I'm happy to do the religious one as well, but not in the Australian group. Did you access it via an American group? Or Canadian?

Phil25

So I've stumbled upon these nifty little games - implicit association tests. They're so cool. Think you're "fair and balanced"? Prove it: take a test and share your result.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

I've taken two. I have a slight preference for light skinned people over dark skinned people.

When it comes to religion, I have the most favourable views toward Buddhism, followed by Christianity, which sits ever so slightly above Judaism and Islam, which are tied with one another.

I found the first result a little surprising (and embarrassing), but the second one comes as no surprise. :)

alceste-albums-uploads-picture5635-bias.jpg

In Religion IAT, it kind of says, press "I" if it relates to Buddhism or Good words(Awesome, Superb etc), or E if it refers to everything else. Dont get the point.

CynthiaCypher

I took the religious one. I am very positive towards Christianity, positive toward Hinduism, moderately positive toward Islam and very negative toward Judaism. Pretty accurate.

Alceste

Vagabond
In Religion IAT, it kind of says, press "I" if it relates to Buddhism or Good words(Awesome, Superb etc), or E if it refers to everything else. Dont get the point.

The point is, your accuracy and reaction time in associating positive or negative attributes with individuals of differing religions or races paints a picture of your own inherent bias.

One can argue that racial or religious bias is not inherently wrong or irrational, but after taking one of these tests, one can no longer argue that they themselves are not biased.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I have a moderate preference for light skinned people over dark skinned people.

When it comes to religion, I have the most favorable views toward Buddhism, followed by Judaism then Christianity and Islam.

Couple of problems I had with this test. I understood why they switched off right and left responses to counter balance right and left handed folks increasing the accuracy of the results. However, I don't see a correlation with speed and "preference". Speed seemed to be a major factor in determining preference and I don't see that it has much merit. Additionally, I think I selected the white folks FASTER simply because they're more familiar and nothing more. Familiarity garners faster responses. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30 years and the town I'm from has a 1.6% African American population.

What do you think of that concept?

Phil25

I am very positive towards Christianity, positive towards Judaism, somewhat positive towards Buddhism and very negative towards Islam. At least thats what I think about myself and now let me take the test and compare.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have a moderate preference for light skinned people over dark skinned people.

When it comes to religion, I have the most favorable views toward Buddhism, followed by Judaism then Christianity and Islam.

Couple of problems I had with this test. I understood why they switched off right and left responses to counter balance right and left handed folks increasing the accuracy of the results. However, I don't see a correlation with speed and "preference". Speed seemed to be a major factor in determining preference and I don't see that it has much merit. Additionally, I think I selected the white folks FASTER simply because they're more familiar and nothing more. Familiarity garners faster responses. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30 years and the town I'm from has a 1.6% African American population.

What do you think of that concept?

For myself, I think that the speed with which one associates positive or negative traits with races or religions is a valid metric of their own inherent bias.

Also for myself, the results were uncomfortable, so I flailed about to find some flaw in the test or some other explanation of why I turned out to be anything other than perfectly rational and fair.

I can not help but be honest with myself, though. The more of these tests I take, the more obvious it is to me that the methodology is sound, and I am indeed prejudiced toward a certain skin tone and a certain philosophy.

There's no shame in it for me though. I have learned something about myself, and that is ALWAYS good. Prejudice has a bad rap, but we are all prejudiced. Imagining ourselves to be otherwise prevents us from adopting effective strategies to correct for our own inherent bias.

Phil25

According to the Religion test, I am more positive towards both Christianity and Judaism,
Hinduism came in the middle, and Islam came at bottom(more negative).
No surprise at all. Accurately told what I always knew.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
For myself, I think that the speed with which one associates positive or negative traits with races or religions is a valid metric of their own inherent bias.
I'm going to take it again. I want to see if a non virgin run results in a different outcome. :D

Alceste

Vagabond
According to the Religion test, I am more positive towards both Christianity and Judaism,
Hinduism came in the middle, and Islam came at bottom(more negative).
No surprise at all. Accurately told what I always knew.

I expect none of our results will be a surprise to ourselves or anyone else, but I think it still takes courage to take the test and share our results with one another. We (the debaters in particular) tend to spend a hell of a lot of time on RF pretending we're completely neutral and everybody else is prejudiced.

Phil25

My Race IAT test result

"Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Everything I do on this forum, internet, is from my smart phone.

I started the survey, but it isn't designed for zooming in and out to read items from a Galaxy 4 (I will be getting the Galaxy 5 soon), you need a PC. I have several PCs, a laptop and even a server, but I only use them for digital art, writing (a book) and such, but use the smart phone primarily for internet forums.

... anyway, I once did a similar survey where, once you are done your personality type is given a color. But my color would change between one hour to the next. So I decided I am a rainbow.

... so probably this survey will be the same. But in regards to racial attitudes, my personal common sense for each situation (meaning my personal "attitudes") in large part doesn't matter and is not necessarily dictating my presentation and balance. So it doesn't matter, the bottom line is how OTHERS think of me on a one on one and in physical presence. Sure some don't like me, but for whatever reason most everyone really like me. All races, all religions, all genders, no genders, even Gods and Goddeses like me too. I don't know why. I suppose even aliens can and would be button buddies. Elderly ladies always say, "You are my son!". But I have my favorites like anyone else. Doesn't mean I don't like everyone (to a limit) but I have my favorites.

And my favorite is Indians, without question. That is Indians from India.

Probably right up there are Eastern Euros and Russians, Cubans, and Moroccans. I would say Canadians but that is not a race and actually I also think they are "too nice". Rich Brits love me, and I guess I love them too. In fact, all rich people love me for some reason. I love Maharajas. Ever meet one? Personally I have. And I have to admit I go gaga over them. I love them.

I want to meet a Saudi King and his family, I think we would hit it off big.

UPDATE: For some reason, I love Rabbis.

So much of me.

Last edited:

Phil25

I expect none of our results will be a surprise to ourselves or anyone else, but I think it still takes courage to take the test and share our results with one another. We (the debaters in particular) tend to spend a hell of a lot of time on RF pretending we're completely neutral and everybody else is prejudiced.

True on both counts. I do wish to accept my faults and shortcomings but thats not always possible especially in this polarized world and now polarized RF.