• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey bigots, I am a bigot too! #bigoty

Alceste

Vagabond
Haha, thanks. :) My mom gets scared around young black men at times because she has been robbed at gunpoint multiple times by black guys and I try to reassure her that not all black people are like that. (I think she has a form of PTSD.)

Well that sucks. I'm sorry for your mom's bad luck, or bad neighbourhood, or whatever it is.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well that sucks. I'm sorry for your mom's bad luck, or bad neighbourhood, or whatever it is.

Probably a bit of both. Being an older white women living in what was pretty much the ghetto doesn't help things. We both struggle with racist feelings at times because of our experiences. It's easy to fall into.

MD

qualiaphile
I got slightly prefer dark skinned people over light skinned

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
They do fry up well.

LOL! Even though I'm more on the lighter skinned side, I do enjoy the fact that I never get burned after a tan and have the perfect olive tone.

I feel bad for white people who get red after a tan :p

Wirey

Fartist
LOL! Even though I'm more on the lighter skinned side, I do enjoy the fact that I never get burned after a tan and have the perfect olive tone.

I feel bad for white people who get red after a tan :p

The funny thing is it said I liked whitey, but all my friends growing up were black. I almost married a black girl (she died). I actually find this upsetting. Did I change or something? Did my surgery cross some wires?

MD

qualiaphile
The funny thing is it said I liked whitey, but all my friends growing up were black. I almost married a black girl (she died). I actually find this upsetting. Did I change or something? Did my surgery cross some wires?

It's not a very good test, I wouldn't take it seriously.

Speaking of white people, I'm in the mood for some Swiss Chalet this weekend.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well you're half white. Maybe your melanocytes don't create melanin as quickly as mine. Middle Eastern people have adapted to the desert sun for millennia.

That's why a racist term for us is Sand N------

Yup. My white heritage is all Celtic and Germanic. It just kicks up in my *** when I'm out in the sun for too long. XD

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Here are my results:
Your Result
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

The religion one was fairly scattered, but I kept trying to associate Abraham with Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. I think the study was quite flawed in that regard since Abraham is rightfully associated with all three. I also have no preference towards gay or straight, young or old, but I did fit it's norm for females and liberal arts.

Alceste

Vagabond

I wouldn't underestimate the influence of media and culture. If you don't currently hang out with many people of various skin tones, the things you see on TV and hear around you are perpetually training your brain to make certain associations more easily than others.

At least, this is how I account for my own result. I had a few black friends and dated a couple of black guys in the past, but I have no dealings with any now and haven't for many years, simply due to where I live and work.

So despite my sincere and heartfelt lack of automatic distaste for people of African descent, my stupid monkey brain has created a category called "black people" (probably to save space for fiddle tunes) and accepted the prevailing bias of my culture to some extent.

Alceste

Vagabond
Here are my results:
Your Result
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

The religion one was fairly scattered, but I kept trying to associate Abraham with Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. I think the study was quite flawed in that regard since Abraham is rightfully associated with all three. I also have no preference towards gay or straight, young or old, but I did fit it's norm for females and liberal arts.

Yeah, Abraham kept tripping me up as well. But a few mistakes shouldn't skew the result too badly.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Just took the race one. It said I have a slight automatic preference for Europeans.

I'd like to be able to take a look under the hood of the test to be able to better determine its potential validity - particularly concerning the specific test order, as well as what timing and ordering criteria they're using within the test.

Regardless, I suspect that most people would score at least a slight automatic preference considering that studies have shown that infants pick up a racial preference for their parents race within the first few months, and it's likely that this preference becomes somewhat hardwired.

All this aside, I don't think scoring a preference necessarily makes one either racist or bigot, as a slight, subconscious preference wouldn't necessarily be an indicator of larger or deeper conscious attitudes or behaviors.

Alceste

Vagabond
I just learned I also have a slight tendency to associate weapons with black people more easily than with white people. That one's REALLY bizarre, since I know for a fact that more white people than black are gun owners in the US, by a huge margin.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I got a little time on a fast computer, so I took a test.

I took the gay/straight one, since I can discuss the results more freely. I am a card carrying member of the politically correct protected persons group "gay". So I can talk about us and my results more freely and frankly than skin tone or religion.
First, the data:
I have a strong automatic preference for straight people.
From strong straight preference to strong gay preference
This is more accurate than I would have guessed. I don't like gay people as a group. I find them irritating. It is not because I have a problem with the "tab A goes into slot A and nowhere else" thing. My tab A hasn't gone in any slot A in decades. No, the reason I don't like gay people as a group is because they're damaged by homophobia. I don't want to deal with the promiscuity and the culture of victimhood and such that homophobic culture has vreated. It isn't my fault, there isn't much I can do about it, so I choose to live my life with straight people as friends. I have more in common with black people who also happen to be middle aged married folk living in small town USA than I do with a gay pride float featuring almost naked gymrats.

Tom

Alceste

Vagabond
I got a little time on a fast computer, so I took a test.

I took the gay/straight one, since I can discuss the results more freely. I am a card carrying member of the politically correct protected persons group "gay". So I can talk about us and my results more freely and frankly than skin tone or religion.
First, the data:
I have a strong automatic preference for straight people.
From strong straight preference to strong gay preference
This is more accurate than I would have guessed. I don't like gay people as a group. I find them irritating. It is not because I have a problem with the "tab A goes into slot A and nowhere else" thing. My tab A hasn't gone in any slot A in decades. No, the reason I don't like gay people as a group is because they're damaged by homophobia. I don't want to deal with the promiscuity and the culture of victimhood and such that homophobic culture has vreated. It isn't my fault, there isn't much I can do about it, so I choose to live my life with straight people as friends. I have more in common with black people who also happen to be middle aged married folk living in small town USA than I do with a gay pride float featuring almost naked gymrats.

Tom

Hi, Tom, appreciate you sharing your results.

It is a fact that there are quite a lot of happily married middle aged gay folks who don't bother going to gay pride events and share your distaste for them. My father-in-law for example. He's indistinguishable from any other baby boomer, happiest in his own home with his life partner.

I think the test makes us consider how we tend to lump large groups of individuals into simplistic categories, leading to highly inaccurate assumptions about what it means to be "gay" or "black".

Just my two bits. :)