• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Sin Become a Joke?

QuestioningMind

The number of partners they have in serial monogamy or simultaneously? ;)

Do you want your daughter to have two partners before marriage or 202? Why?

Wow, I don't 'want' my daughters to have any specific number of sexual partners. As adults the number of people they choose to have sex with is completely up to them. As long as they are safe and consensual, it's really none of my business. Are you really so obsessed with your own daughter's sex lives? That's kind of creepy.

And how about answering the question asked?

"So a person could never lie or steal and dedicate their entire life towards helping out those less fortunate, but if they participate in consensual sex with one too many people then they are morally corrupt?"

Rather sad that you avoid the questions that you have no good answers for.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
It's unethical to call a human created legal contract silly? What a BIZARRE definition of ethics you have. Seems to me that it's YOU who is betraying your biases. What makes you think that you have the right to define what marriage is for everyone else? Mighty presumptuous of you.

Um, yes, it is unethical to call the SACRAMENT and statute (which is what I actually wrote but you didn't read, see prior post) of marriage "silly".

It's also disrespectful to most religious groups.

It's also disrespectful to homosexuals who've fought for decades for their recognition of their marriages.

So there! :)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Wow, I don't 'want' my daughters to have any specific number of sexual partners. As adults the number of people they choose to have sex with is completely up to them. As long as they are safe and consensual, it's really none of my business. Are you really so obsessed with your own daughter's sex lives? That's kind of creepy.

And how about answering the question asked?

"So a person could never lie or steal and dedicate their entire life towards helping out those less fortunate, but if they participate in consensual sex with one too many people then they are morally corrupt?"

Rather sad that you avoid the questions that you have no good answers for.

I see! You feel that if your daughters ask, you would respond, "I don't care how many sexual partners you have! You're an adult! Make your own ethical decisions and build your own compass! Just because I heard since grade school that each person you sleep with is like sleeping with all of their partners . . . "

Is your response creepy or my parental concern for my children's physical, emotional and mental health? :)

PS. At what age do you give them the above remarks if they ask? 12? 11? 27? Not that I want to tell you about how to be ethical . . .

As for the question asked, who do you know who has never lied or stolen (!) besides the Lord Jesus Christ?

And do you not understand Ethics 101, that to be sacrosanct, even holy, in several areas and debased in others is moral corruption? Is Hitler morally incorrupt because he loved his underlings and dogs, just not his spouse or the German people or any Jews or Gypsies?

How can we talk about the riches of Heaven when you don't understand child-rearing, STDs and how they work, and basic morals?

At least your avatar is "questioning" because your comments raise a lot of questions in my mind!!!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I literally do not understand why someone would do something if it offends their conscious. Stealing would bother me because it is wrongfully depriving another of what is rightfully theirs. Killing wrongfully ends the life of another. Lying just creates too many stories to keep track of, and can make you look like a fool when you're lying for someone else.
Is this just something Christians do? If I know something is wrong, I'm not going to do it. If I wanted to offend and violate my conscious, I probably would have taken a job at a slaughterhouse/meat processing plant, but the sounds I heard as I walked away from my interview set off my conscious in a way that pretty much made impossible for me to work there and be able to live with myself.

So you assume. 10 years ago when I didn't care about really anything, I was, but I've grown by leaps and bounds as a person since then, and I don't do stuff like that anymore.
And, of course, it begs the question of what happens when a certain behavior no longer violates one's conscious? Was it "sin" only when I first started shoplifting, only while it was bothering me and I hesitated and got so anxious as I walked out the store and then "not sin" once I could pick something up and walk out the store without giving it a second thought? Or what about things that didn't bother us at the time, but we look back and realize how dumb, foolish, and reckless we were in a previous time? And also what of the truly dangerous psychopaths who can kill and don't feel the conscious hesitation, remorse, or regret over killing someone? What if it's a soldier who kills an enemy soldier in the heat of battle, but is haunted by it later on?

How did you redefine what I wrote, "hurting someone when you know it's wrong because it feels good" with murder and theft?

If you have a lover or friend and are just in a ticked-off mood, and they are having a great day, so you feel like being a little aggressive or *****y just because . . . and you know you shouldn't, you are violating/going against conscience.

THAT is sin. ALL people go against conscience OFTEN except Jesus Christ. Thus, you need to be transformed, I need to be transformed, to go to a real utopia!

You keep saying Christians ('cause you've been burnt by some poor examples) are no one you want to associate with if they're hypocrites--GOOD--and you associate with me, and I'm not a stealing, murdering hypocrite. HOWEVER, I sin against conscience in little ways often, JUST . . . like . . . u.

I can't get into Heaven either, even though I'm a Christian, the way I am now. ON THAT DAY, because I trust in Christ, I will be transformed!

Paul wrote in Romans 7:

I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

If you take murder out of the above and put in "selfish, self-willed, vile, hoarding, unkind, etc." ALL of us fit in.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The current trend underscores how our sin nature--the propensity to sin that is more important than any individual sin--causes us to harm ourselves and others. All the "try before you buy" concepts of cohabitation and sex are wrong. People who have premarital sex reap a lifetime of varying pains and guilt.
Sounds like another false prophecy to me.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I see.

So, you are saying that all atheists share the same morality on abortion, adultery, homosexuality, theft -
It is fairly plain to see that 'the moral basis' is no foundation of morality at all. Each has his own idea what is right and wrong - though most think that murder is wrong most of the time.

While most share the somewhat common conscience - many, my self included, modify this conscience as time goes by, as they grow up, or old. I sure have. What some may think wrong, is no necessarily what I think wrong, and vice versa. I recently came to a cliffhanger of a change of opinion on one subject. So, to some who object to a particular action, I say 'screw you.' (not referring to you. I am talking about moral equality and agreement - it simply does not exist among free individuals.)
I think the OP is a pretty good example of the apparent fact that we choose our own morality.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I see!

You are the ONLY person I've met apart from Jesus who never sins against conscience. You NEVER do something you know to be harmful to yourself or another simply because it feels good or you cannot help it.

I've asked MANY people about their sins against conscience, as in hundreds . . . ?

You are truly unique.

PS. And not telling the truth. ;)
I don't act against my conscience either. There, now you've met 2 people who don't do it.

QuestioningMind

Um, yes, it is unethical to call the SACRAMENT and statute (which is what I actually wrote but you didn't read, see prior post) of marriage "silly".

It's also disrespectful to most religious groups.

It's also disrespectful to homosexuals who've fought for decades for their recognition of their marriages.

So there! :)

Well, I's say that it's unethical to claim that marriage is a sacrament without any actual evidence that it is. And I suppose it could be considered disrespectful to tell people who believe that the world is flat that they're silly, but in my opinion it's simply acknowledging reality. And you foolishly claiming that a legally recognized marriage is a 'sacrament' is truly silly. Finally, gay people haven't fought for decades to have their marriages recognized as a 'sacrament' by any religious group. They fought for their right to have their marriages recognized by secular society, not by your or anyone else's church. .

QuestioningMind

I see! You feel that if your daughters ask, you would respond, "I don't care how many sexual partners you have! You're an adult! Make your own ethical decisions and build your own compass! Just because I heard since grade school that each person you sleep with is like sleeping with all of their partners . . . "

Is your response creepy or my parental concern for my children's physical, emotional and mental health? :)

PS. At what age do you give them the above remarks if they ask? 12? 11? 27? Not that I want to tell you about how to be ethical . . .

As for the question asked, who do you know who has never lied or stolen (!) besides the Lord Jesus Christ?

And do you not understand Ethics 101, that to be sacrosanct, even holy, in several areas and debased in others is moral corruption? Is Hitler morally incorrupt because he loved his underlings and dogs, just not his spouse or the German people or any Jews or Gypsies?

How can we talk about the riches of Heaven when you don't understand child-rearing, STDs and how they work, and basic morals?

At least your avatar is "questioning" because your comments raise a lot of questions in my mind!!!

"You feel that if your daughters ask, you would respond, "I don't care how many sexual partners you have! You're an adult! Make your own ethical decisions and build your own compass! "

Precisely! Because my daughter is an ADULT who was raised to think for herself and make her own decisions. She shouldn't make decisions based on what OTHER people think is moral or ethical, but based on her OWN ethical compass.

"I heard since grade school that each person you sleep with is like sleeping with all of their partners . . "

What don't you comprehend about the words safe and consensual?

"As for the question asked, who do you know who has never lied or stolen (!) besides the Lord Jesus Christ?"

Way to avoid answering the question AGAIN! It's called a hypothetical question. You don't have to actually know someone who never lied or stole in order to answer it. IF a person never lied and never stole and dedicated his/her life to helping those less fortunate, are you saying that they would be an IMMORAL individual if they happened to have one more sexual partner than YOU deem appropriate?

"when you don't understand child-rearing, STDs and how they work, and basic morals?"

Could you possibly be more full of yourself? As if YOU have a monopoly on proper child rearing and morals. I happen to have three healthy happy and well adjusted adult children, which suggests that you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about. Rather sad and pathetic in my opinion.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You clearly did not understand what I said previously. It is her body, she can have sex with as many men as she wants before she weds. My preference for what she does is a non-issue.

The parent whose preference for what their child does is a non-issue is not a parent, IMHO. And I'm a parent of three children--one of each kind! :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you have a lover or friend and are just in a ticked-off mood, and they are having a great day, so you feel like being a little aggressive or *****y just because . . . and you know you shouldn't, you are violating/going against conscience.
If I'm having a crappy day, why is that going to put me in a fowl mood if a friend is have a good day? Emotionally, I wouldn't even really share in their joy (or sorrows) that much anyways.
And if I am in a ****ty mood, so what? I do my best to not take it out and others, and apologize if I do. It's not such a big deal that I would label it as some such massively offensive transgression against god. It wasn't even about him, he wasn't even involved at all, but rather it's between me and the person I treated poorly and unfairly. God needs to learn how to mind his own damn business.

King Phenomenon

i think the bibles a unique book as it trys to discern right from wrong. I think it has some imperfections or maybe God intended it to be updated. i know it says something like those who take or add to this book will be doing wrong or whatever, so maybe God intended that to be updated too. who knows.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I don't act against my conscience either. There, now you've met 2 people who don't do it.

You NEVER do ANYTHING like remain ticked off during a conversation when you know you're in the wrong? You never look at someone lustfully when your partner has said "stop staring!" and you therefore NEVER offend your partner.

I call a word that begins with B and ends with Y.

The scriptures get a lot of "press" for the Exodus 20 decalogue. But you never covet or else your conscience is so dead that envy and covetousness and lust "don't register" in your conscience?

Bu-bu-buh-loney.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Well, I's say that it's unethical to claim that marriage is a sacrament without any actual evidence that it is. And I suppose it could be considered disrespectful to tell people who believe that the world is flat that they're silly, but in my opinion it's simply acknowledging reality. And you foolishly claiming that a legally recognized marriage is a 'sacrament' is truly silly. Finally, gay people haven't fought for decades to have their marriages recognized as a 'sacrament' by any religious group. They fought for their right to have their marriages recognized by secular society, not by your or anyone else's church. .

How does any of that change the insult of calling secular marriage or church marriage silly? How does your continued line of argument truck with the insult to millions of carefully married persons?