• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greek/Roman Mythology and the pre-Biblical Flood

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
This will be short and sweet.

Some truth is found in almost every story, and I think it’s the same with these mythologies. And others, like Norse. There are many similarities between them.

A lot of it deals with interaction among their gods, and these gods cohabiting with women, having offspring that are half-god, half-human. Like Hercules.

I think the events described in Genesis 6:1-4 is the foundation for these myths: sons of God (angels) materializing into the male human form, taking wives (“all whom they chose”), and then having offspring (the “Nephilim”): bullies, called “fellers”, ie., “causing others to fall”. Check out Wikipedia.

To the ancient humans, these angels would be like gods!

Whaddaya think?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Some truth is found in almost every story, and I think it’s the same with these mythologies. And others, like Norse. There are many similarities between them.

A lot of it deals with interaction among their gods, and these gods cohabiting with women, having offspring that are half-god, half-human. Like Hercules.

I think the events described in Genesis 6:1-4 is the foundation for these myths: sons of God (angels) materializing into the male human form, taking wives (“all whom they chose”), and then having offspring (the “Nephilim”): bullies, called “fellers”, ie., “causing others to fall”. Check out Wikipedia.

Whaddaya think?

Yep, their gods and demi-gods fit the pre-flood story perfectly. I believe all mythology has a kernel of truth at the base of it. Humans are good at embellishing things.

Father

Devourer of Truth
sure floods happened. however the flood described in the bible then is over exaggerated

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
sure floods happened. however the flood described in the bible then is over exaggerated

You think so? You aren't alone, most agree with you.

That'll be my next topic on this site. And I'll present evidence for it. There's quite a bit, you know.

You may not believe it, but the fact behind these Greek/Roman/Norse mythologies, ie., god-like creatures interacting with humans and having powerful kids called 'fellers', is the main reason there was a global flood.

Father

Devourer of Truth
You think so? You aren't alone, most agree with you.

That'll be my next topic on this site. And I'll present evidence for it. There's quite a bit, you know.

You may not believe it, but the fact behind these Greek/Roman/Norse mythologies, ie., god-like creatures interacting with humans and having powerful kids called 'fellers', is the main reason there was a global flood.
well, aside from the fact there is not enough water on earth to cover every mountain. or for all animals to be gathered in one boat. or a boat by the parameters the Bible gives. with no windows. and at a high altitude. not to mention keeping the animals from killing each other. it spells death and impossibility any way you cut it.

now a reasonably small flood that maybe covers hills and killed all except someone who made a reasonably sized boat and filled it with a few sheep. cows. and people. sounds more possible

Jumi

well, aside from the fact there is not enough water on earth to cover every mountain. or for all animals to be gathered in one boat. or a boat by the parameters the Bible gives. with no windows. and at a high altitude. not to mention keeping the animals from killing each other. it spells death and impossibility any way you cut it.

now a reasonably small flood that maybe covers hills and killed all except someone who made a reasonably sized boat and filled it with a few sheep. cows. and people. sounds more possible
If there is a God that's all powerful he could create water out of nothing, bend laws of physics or biology to let people live in otherwise impossible environment and destroy the created water once it was used and even erase the evidence for it.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Whaddaya think?

I disagree - the fact that multiple cultures have 'global' flood myths doesn't indicate that a) Jewish scripture is the basis for other religions; or b) that there has to be even a kernel of truth to the global flood claim. It indicates two far more obvious realities:
  1. that early sedentary humans had a tendency to build their settlements in flood plains;
  2. that humans tend to embellish stories with each retelling.
To the ancestors of the Chinese, for instance, it would be understandable that the flooding of mighty waterways like the Han and Yellow Rivers would seem apocalyptic and to cover the entire world. that doesn't mean it's true. There's no evidence for a global flood.

Grandliseur

Whaddaya think?
Believers in the Bible have no trouble seeing these truths.

Even now, it seems that some fallen angels are missing this physical aspect - intimacy with humans - desperately as there are some reports about spirits having accosted some with this feeling of being kind of attacked in a sexual fashion. (don't know how to say it better)

Did you know that there are two groups of fallen angels? Some may not be damned!

David1967

Premium Member

Whaddaya think?

I agree. This has been my opinion for many years.

David1967

Premium Member
Believers in the Bible have no trouble seeing these truths.

Even now, it seems that some fallen angels are missing this physical aspect - intimacy with humans - desperately as there are some reports about spirits having accosted some with this feeling of being kind of attacked in a sexual fashion. (don't know how to say it better)

Did you know that there are two groups of fallen angels? Some may not be damned!

Please give more information about these two groups.

Grandliseur

Please give more information about these two groups.
It is somewhat funny that it seems that many don't know this since many have read their Bibles for decades.

But, in the interest of giving away what seems to be my proprietary knowledge though it is readily available in scripture, I will share some details.

Let's see if we can agree on things:
Revelation 12: ASV
9 And the great dragon was cast down, the old serpent, he that is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world; he was cast down to the earth, and his angels were cast down with him.​
Here we have a clear group definition, let's call it group one. Satan and his angels were cast down, when is not exactly known, except that the events are after chapter 12 shows that the kingdom child is born. Here denominational dogma may interfere with agreement on the when part.

I hope though that group one as defined may be understood to be "satan and his angels who were in heaven with him until they were thrown out." Is this agreed on?!

Next, we have another group in scripture, this one is obviously group 2. Let us see who they are:
they are not with satan and are not his, and they are not in heaven with him to be cast out of heaven.
Here is a copy paste of this study of mine:
What is the second group?

Does it exists at all?
What is taught by the apostle Peter?

II Pet 2:4:For if God didn’t spare angels when they sinned, but cast them down to Tartarus, and committed them to pits of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;

1 Pet 3:19: in which also going he preached to the spirits which are in prison . . .

II Pet 2:4 – below
4 KJV: For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell <5020>, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
_______
4 WEB: For if God didn’t spare angels when they sinned, but cast them down to Tartarus, and committed them to pits of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;
_______
4 UMGreek: Διοτι εαν ο Θεος δεν εφεισθη αγγελους αμαρτησαντας, αλλα ριψας αυτους εις τον ταρταρον δεδεμενους με αλυσεις σκοτους, παρεδωκε δια να φυλαττωνται εις κρισιν,

Transliterated into the Latin alphabet:
4 UMGreek: Dioti ean o Theos den epheisthē angelous amartēsantas, alla ripsas autous eis tontartaron dedemenous me alyseis skotous, paredōke dia na phylattōntai eis krisin,

Strongs Dictionary: 05020: tartaroo tar-tar-o'-o from Tartaros

Many Bibles translators give us their idea of what Tartarus is supposed to be in a variety of translationssuch as hell, infernal region, lower hell, the abyss, etc., however, such translations depend entirely on the translator’s beliefs and idea. This is why it is better left untranslated and left up to the Bible to determine, define, what it is and means. On this page, the Bible is given the chance to define its own terminology.

In the above scriptures, we are told that Jesus after he was resurrected went to preach to the spirits in prison, in Tartarus. The question then begs as to where this Tatarus is?

Also, why did Jesus preach to the angels in prison but not to those in heaven who are with Satan? Well, we know that Satan is damned and so are those angels who actively follow him. This means that all the fallen angels that are (or were) in heaven with Satan are damned–already judged. These shall be destroyed together with their master after Satan is let out at the end of the thousand year reign.

Are the angels who are in prison, in Tartarus, also damned? What did 2 Peter 2:4 say above?

For if God didn’t spare angels when they sinned, but cast them down to Tartarus, and committed them to pits of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;
. . . to be kept for judgment. . . (Darby)

Here the inspired scripture says that the ones in prison are to be kept for judgment; in other words, they have not been judged yet !

In 1 Cor 6:2, 3 - this is said:
2 Do ye not then know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world is judged by you, are ye unworthy of the smallest judgments?
3 Do ye not know that we shall judge angels? and not then matters of this life?

Here then we see that these angels in prison in Tartarus are going to be judged by the saints. This means that some may receive the death penalty and that others may not. This can be explained if wanted, but that is the basic teaching found here.

Realize this: the reason the Saints are the ones given the duty to judge these imprisoned angels is because these 'sinned' against mankind. What each deserves for punishment, God leaves up to the priest-kings glorified, Christ's brothers and joint-heirs., former humans, to judge.

Again, where is Tartarus?

Phil 2:10 DRC: That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth:

Now we can see where Tartarus is. It is in underground places, in dense darkness. It is not the hell that churches teach about in which humans supposedly are found; rather, it is Tartarus, underground dark places in which the angels that ‘sinned’ are kept.

Well, this ends my study on this. Feel free to tell me what you think.
You may find the full page here without any deletions:
Link: >Truth Seeker - Fallen Angles<

Last edited:

Jumi

In Greek pagan mythology, Tartarus is the name of a god and a place of judgment where he is the ruler. There were titans that were imprisoned there. Greeks at the time would know what was meant by the word. Similarly Hel is a goddess and ruler of Hel for Germanic tribes, they would have known what Hell meant...

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Whaddaya think?

Just a side note, every since I was a boy this passage bothered me. First I wondered, was there no sex in Heaven, and secondly were the female angels so ugly that male angels were willing to take a chance on human women that could even lead to their damnation?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Just a side note, every since I was a boy this passage bothered me. First I wondered, was there no sex in Heaven, and secondly were the female angels so ugly that male angels were willing to take a chance on human women that could even lead to their damnation?
Whenever the Bible mentions spirits, as in invisible creatures, the noun is neuter. They are neither male nor female.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Similarly Hel is a goddess and ruler of Hel for Germanic tribes, they would have known what Hell meant...

Doubtful as Helheim wasn't necessarily a place of suffering like Tartarus or the Christo-Islamic Hell. It was just the place where the souls of those who died went if they didn't manage to make it to Valhalla. Actually from the way it's described, Helheim sounds much more analogous to Hades - or at least some peoples' interpretation of Hades: a dull, dark, miserable realm.

Jumi

Doubtful as Helheim wasn't necessarily a place of suffering like Tartarus or the Christo-Islamic Hell. It was just the place where the souls of those who died went if they didn't manage to make it to Valhalla. Actually from the way it's described, Helheim sounds much more analogous to Hades - or at least some peoples' interpretation of Hades: a dull, dark, miserable realm.
My ancestors also believed in a dark realm of forgetfulness, more like a shadow realm where there was no joy as the end destination for most folk.