• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greek/Roman Mythology and the pre-Biblical Flood

This will be short and sweet.

Some truth is found in almost every story, and I think it’s the same with these mythologies. And others, like Norse. There are many similarities between them.

A lot of it deals with interaction among their gods, and these gods cohabiting with women, having offspring that are half-god, half-human. Like Hercules.

I think the events described in Genesis 6:1-4 is the foundation for these myths: sons of God (angels) materializing into the male human form, taking wives (“all whom they chose”), and then having offspring (the “Nephilim”): bullies, called “fellers”, ie., “causing others to fall”. Check out Wikipedia.

To the ancient humans, these angels would be like gods!

Whaddaya think?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Apparently I missed your response, sorry.
Please provide the neuter Hebrew noun(s) used for "spirits, as in invisible creatures".
I was referring to angels. Do you not think angels, as mentioned in Genesis 18, are (normally) invisible spirit creatures? Also called “sons of God” in Job 1?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Apparently I missed your response, sorry.

I was referring to angels. Do you not think angels, as mentioned in Genesis 18, are (normally) invisible spirit creatures? Also called “sons of God” in Job 1?

First and foremost, you were "referring to" Biblical Hebrew grammar, specifically ...

Whenever the Bible mentions spirits, as in invisible creatures, the noun is neuter. They are neither male nor female.[ [emphasis added - JS]

So, again, please provide the neuter Hebrew noun(s) used for "spirits, as in invisible creatures".

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
First and foremost, you were "referring to" Biblical Hebrew grammar, specifically ...

So, again, please provide the neuter Hebrew noun(s) used for "spirits, as in invisible creatures".
I apologise. In Hebrew the word for spirit, is "ruach", which is feminine.
I was wrong. Wasn't the first time. I'll try to be more accurate. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Must've been thinking of the Greek pneuma.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I apologise. In Hebrew the word for spirit, is "ruach", which is feminine.
I was wrong. Wasn't the first time. I'll try to be more accurate.
Then, in the spirit of being more accurate: what you wrote was:

Whenever the Bible mentions spirits, as in invisible creatures, the noun is neuter. They are neither male nor female.

Please provide a Torah verse where the Bible mentions spirits, as in invisible creatures. Thanks.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Philologist Biglino clearly says that in the passage it speaks of the "children of the Elohim" and it does not deal with Malakhim, that is, angels.

In the Septuagint, I can confirm it says " oi yioi tou Theoù" (= the male children of God).

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
(Not considered the Torah, but....) Psalms 104:4
The dance is disingenuous and the ignorance is palpable.

עֹשֶׂ֣ה מַלְאָכָ֣יו רוּח֑וֹת מְ֝שָׁרְתָ֗יו אֵ֣שׁ לֹהֵֽט׃

He makes the winds His messengers, fiery flames His servants.​