• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gravitational waves in Newton theory are 4-th order, in Einstein's are 2-nd!!!

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your definition of truth involves assuming that a flat Earth is implied. It isn't. Not once.
So you have no idea why the ancients would have a concept of modern cosmology, right? It's just some baseless notion that rattles around in your head?

And yet you have before you thirty examples of their world-view, which incidentally coincides with a fairly general view at that time, as you can check for yourself.

As for a flat earth (to take just two simple examples) both Daniel 4:8 and Matthew 4:10 speak of a height (tree, mountain) from which you can see all parts of the world. The earth can't get much flatter than that.

DavidFirth

So you have no idea why the ancients would have a concept of modern cosmology, right? It's just some baseless notion that rattles around in your head?

And yet you have before you thirty examples of their world-view, which incidentally coincides with a fairly general view at that time, as you can check for yourself.

As for a flat earth (to take just two simple examples) both Daniel 4:8 and Matthew 4:10 speak of a height (tree, mountain) from which you can see all parts of the world. The earth can't get much flatter than that.

Again, you see something that isn't there. Kind of like abiogenesis, macro-evolution and the Big Bang. You're real good at it. ;)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Circle is not equal to flat Earth. A spheroid has an infinite amount of rough circles going around it. When you look at the Earth you see a "circle." Not once does the Bible refer to a flat circle. Not once.
All circles are flat. There are no circles that are not flat. And, he said above the circle.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again, you see something that isn't there. Kind of like abiogenesis, macro-evolution and the Big Bang. You're real good at it. ;)
And still you can't answer the very simple question ─ why would you expect the writers of the bible to write about 21st century cosmology when all they knew was the cosmology of their respective ancient times and places?

On top of that, if the bible correctly states cosmology in the 21st century, then it incorrectly stated cosmology in every preceding century and it will state it incorrectly again in the future. Since it's going to be wrong nearly all the time, why not simply face up to the facts, and give away the let's-pretend games?

DavidFirth

And still you can't answer the very simple question ─ why would you expect the writers of the bible to write about 21st century cosmology when all they knew was the cosmology of their respective ancient times and places?

On top of that, if the bible correctly states cosmology in the 21st century, then it incorrectly stated cosmology in every preceding century and it will state it incorrectly again in the future. Since it's going to be wrong nearly all the time, why not simply face up to the facts, and give away the let's-pretend games?

It's not wrong. You assume it is.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's not wrong. You assume it is.
Not just assume ─ I gave you thirty nice clear demonstrations.

And yet again ─ that's to say, for the fourth time ─ you dodge the questions.

WHY would you expect Bronze Age authors to have a grasp of 21st century cosmology?

WHY would they not write of the cosmology they knew (which is exactly what they did, as I showed you).

WHY would you choose the cosmology of 2017 as the ultimate correct cosmology? As I said, if you're right then the bible has been wrong in every other century and very likely will be wrong again before the end of this one.

Answer those questions one by one, clearly and without prevarication, and we can at least discuss the matter.

Or don't you know the answers?

DavidFirth

Not just assume ─ I gave you thirty nice clear demonstrations.

And yet again ─ that's to say, for the fourth time ─ you dodge the questions.

WHY would you expect Bronze Age authors to have a grasp of 21st century cosmology?

WHY would they not write of the cosmology they knew (which is exactly what they did, as I showed you).

WHY would you choose the cosmology of 2017 as the ultimate correct cosmology? As I said, if you're right then the bible has been wrong in every other century and very likely will be wrong again before the end of this one.

Answer those questions one by one, clearly and without prevarication, and we can at least discuss the matter.

Or don't you know the answers?

There is nothing to discuss. It is because of your own personal bias that you feel this way about those 30 examples, it has nothing to do with reality.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I did read the words, several times. I never got the impression that he was talking about a flat Earth. Only the truly ignorant or biased would think that.

On pillars, a circle, corners

So you are the one interpreting... Ok

What about Pi, the talking snake etc.

The only way such glaring errors can be excused is with apologetics, which seems to be big business

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is nothing to discuss. It is because of your own personal bias that you feel this way about those 30 examples, it has nothing to do with reality.
There's nothing to discuss because you can't answer even the simplest questions about your own view.

That should be of far more serious concern to you than anything I say.

DavidFirth

On pillars, a circle, corners

So you are the one interpreting... Ok

What about Pi, the talking snake etc.

The only way such glaring errors can be excused is with apologetics, which seems to be big business

The talking snake is no biggie. There is also a talking donkey.

What are you referring to about pi?

DavidFirth

There's nothing to discuss because you can't answer even the simplest questions about your own view.

That should be of far more serious concern to you than anything I say.

I have no concerns at all, you're the one asking the questions, not me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The talking snake is no biggie. There is also a talking donkey.

What are you referring to about pi?

If you want to accept that talking snakes (and donkeys) is not a biggie then yes, your interpretation.

Kings 7:23

DavidFirth

If you want to accept that talking snakes (and donkeys) is not a biggie then yes, your interpretation.

Kings 7:23

23He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it.

It doesn't say how many cubits were around it, but that it took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it. The conclusion is that it was less than thirty cubits.