• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and heaven and hell in the After Life: if it turns to be true of false?

Which case scenario do you think is better?

• Believing in God and the after life, but it turns to be not real.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Not believing in God and the after life, but it turns to be real.

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hey guys, I'm just wondering which case scenario do you think is better, and why?

I personally believe that believing in God and the after life then having it turned to be not real is better, which is the first case scenario. At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it.

Your thoughts?

Note:
There are other possible case scenarios too, but the thread is about these two only.

Of course the first choice, nothing to lose, i don't oppress anyone, i don't kill, i don't commit adultery, i don't steal and i'm trying my best to live the moral way of life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I suspect the lack of belief cuts you off.
Why bestow a greater life unto those not preparing for it?

And with no One in charge the next life would be chaos.

We have hierarchy in this world.
I suspect the same and more for the next.

averageJOE

zombie
Hey guys, I'm just wondering which case scenario do you think is better, and why?

I personally believe that believing in God and the after life then having it turned to be not real is better, which is the first case scenario. At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it.

Your thoughts?

Note:
There are other possible case scenarios too, but the thread is about these two only.
I have yet to hear of a version of an afterlife that sounds appealing.

To me, both questions in the poll could have the exact same result. Everyone pretty much has the same chances. If one believes in God and there is and afterlife...how do you know you are worshiping the right god??? A muslim and a jehovah's witness both have the same level of faith in their god's and afterlifes; however both are very different. Thus, both have the same chances as an atheist. Also, whichever god that actually exists, are its followers suggesting that their god is so gullible that he can't tell that he is just being used as a mere insurance card?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

Note:

I strongly believe that if God exists, then He will send believers in Him to Hell and not believers in Him to Heaven. Belief in the contrary is a plot orchestrated by Satan and his demons in order to doom as many people as possible to eternal damnation.

So. You are much better off by not believing.

Ciao

- viole

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I strongly believe that if God exists, then He will send believers in Him to Hell and not believers in Him to Heaven. Belief in the contrary is a plot orchestrated by Satan and his demons in order to doom as many people as possible to eternal damnation.

So. You are much better off by not believing.

Ciao

- viole

So if religion says don't commit adultery then it's the Satan and his demons asking us not to commit adultery.

Marisa

Ah, Pascals Wager. What if there is a deity and after life, but you picked the wrong one?

What's with the assumption that just the fact that a god exits means we must worship it? Should we be at all concerned with the character of the deity? Where the Abrahamic god is concerned, the answer seems to be "no". As for myself, I generally admire those who posses qualities I don't have, but would like to have. If the Abrahamic god is what passes for morality, I'm better.

I have yet to hear of a version of an afterlife that sounds appealing.

But if the Christian or Muslim God is real then you would find it appealing cos He designed it so everybody is happy there. It's probably like the party you get forced to attend even though you don't want to and end up having a great time.

In Valhalla, you just get to get drunk and feast every day on some tip-top booze made by Gods which sounds alright too.

As regards the OP, better to believe and be wrong as there is no downside. If you don't believe and are wrong, then you might die and then find out you were in for an eternity of excruciating torment on the same day which would probably be a bit irritating :grimacing:

Kirran

Premium Member
Out of these two choices, better to believe and be wrong. But I don't think it works, because there are so many religious groups promising hell for all non-adherents that it stops making a difference.

I don't believe in any afterlife myself. The ego dies with the body. But I'm very open to finding out that is not the case.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

Your thoughts?

Note:
I think I'd rather believe and have it not be true. Think of someone religious and whose life affected millions for good. Let that person be a type of role model. Religion can be used for good.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It certainly does depend on the belief system one follows. Is there any afterlife version in a religion you know of that does not have both paradise and hell?
I picked #2.

To answer your question: it depends on what you mean by paradise and hell. From my belief system, once one dies, one reviews the life just lived. Paradise and hell are subjective pleasure and pain one feels about the life one lived. They're not permanent states. The Hindu Gita and Buddhist teachings are about the states of heaven and hell as places where one exhausts the impressions (karma) from the life just lived. From a Christian perspective, C.S. Lewis' book "The Great Divorce" while not being theological, portrays hell as a place where one voluntarily cuts oneself off from God because one is unwilling to give up one's ego to be purified.

To me, believing in a just, honest and loving God is incompatible with believing in permanent punishment for one's mistakes. And to me, an honorable atheist who lives according to his or her best understanding of the truth is a million times better than a hypocritical believer. And that honorable atheist will wind up in a much better place after he or she dies.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I picked #2.
To answer your question: it depends on what you mean by paradise and hell. From my belief system, once one dies, one reviews the life just lived. Paradise and hell are subjective pleasure and pain one feels about the life one lived. They're not permanent states. The Hindu Gita and Buddhist teachings are about the states of heaven and hell as places where one exhausts the impressions (karma) from the life just lived. From a Christian perspective, C.S. Lewis' book "The Great Divorce" while not being theological, portrays hell as a place where one voluntarily cuts oneself off from God because one is unwilling to give up one's ego to be purified.
To me, believing in a just, honest and loving God is incompatible with believing in permanent punishment for one's mistakes. And to me, an honorable atheist who lives according to his or her best understanding of the truth is a million times better than a hypocritical believer.

Please keep in mind there is the teaching of a biblical hell, and a separate teaching of a non-biblical hell just taught as being Scripture.
Jesus and the old Hebrew Scriptures teach a temporary biblical hell where the dead sleep knowing nothing.
Reference verses - John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5;13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13; Ecclesiastes 9:5

Especially when the Jews began mixing with the Greeks then non-biblical philosophies and theories became popular and began to be taught as Scripture.

It is the religious-myth hell teaching that is a permanent place, whereas the Bible's hell (grave for the sleeping dead ) is temporary.
If biblical hell was permanent then Jesus would still be in hell.- Acts 2:27
According to Revelation 20:13,14 after everyone in the Bible's hell is ' delivered up' ( resurrected out of hell ) then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into a symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.
Some people resurrected to heaven - Rev. 20:6, but the majority of mankind will be resurrected or restored back to healthy physical life on earth starting with Jesus' coming 1000-year governmental rule over earth.- Psalm 72:8,12-14

Adam and Eve lived in the paradise Garden of Eden on Earth.
God's original purpose for earth was that Adam and Eve along with their descendants (us) should expand that sample Garden until it covered the whole earth with paradisaical beauty.

If you were out working in your garden and there was in interruption would you say you would never go back to your garden, or rather once the interruption was over you would go back to your garden? Satan threw a monkey wrench into God's purpose, Jesus will undo all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon mankind. Once Jesus abysses Satan - Revelation chapter 20 - then mankind will return to God's original purpose to have the whole earth become a beautiful blooming globe filled with happy and healthy people.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Out of these two choices, better to believe and be wrong. But I don't think it works, because there are so many religious groups promising hell for all non-adherents that it stops making a difference.
I don't believe in any afterlife myself. The ego dies with the body. But I'm very open to finding out that is not the case.

The teachings of Jesus agrees with you in that the ego,etc. dies with the body because Jesus taught only sleep in death -John 11:11-14
That sleeping condition is taught in the old Hebrew Scriptures - such as at Ecclesiastes 9:5 that the dead know nothing.
So, instead of ' afterlife ' ( still being alive at death ) Jesus taught about a future resurrection or restoration back to life.
Some called to heaven to have a first or earlier resurrection- Revelation 20:6, but most of mankind to be resurrected out of the Bible's hell or grave for the sleeping dead, and be restored back to healthy physical life on earth when Jesus takes over governing the earth.
Only the wicked will be destroyed forever - Psalm 92:7 - including wicked Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I chose "not believing in God and the afterlife and then it turns out to be real" being the better option because if those things don't exist, then life is a scam and a cruel joke. There has to be something better than this plane of existence, which is much closer to hell than anything else.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Your thoughts?

Note:

Its better to live with hope then without hope.

:)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I chose "not believing in God and the afterlife and then it turns out to be real" being the better option because if those things don't exist, then life is a scam and a cruel joke. There has to be something better than this plane of existence, which is much closer to hell than anything else.

hell is death. So I dont think 'life' is more like 'death' lol ;)