• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and heaven and hell in the After Life: if it turns to be true of false?

Which case scenario do you think is better?

• Believing in God and the after life, but it turns to be not real.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Not believing in God and the after life, but it turns to be real.

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Servant_of_the_One1

We've all experienced death millions of times.
If you want to know what happens after you die, just look at your own life. This is the hereafter. This is what happens after you die. It is the hereafter of the life you lived before you were born.
We are mankind, all of it. We built this world, all of it. We lived our own history and will continue to do so.
We weren't afraid of being born, we shouldn't be afraid of dying too. Same things. We should be afraid of dying if we live like an animal and spread lies and deceit.

Now that is what i call hogus bogus.

If that was the case, people wouldnt be afraid to die.

The reason ppl are afraid is because they dont know what to expect! Thats why religions exists. It gives them hope.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
"Believing in God and the after life, but it turns to be not real."

For me I don't have any detailed expectations... When you write "but it turns to be not real" that really raises a question mark (?). Real to whom... It would have to be in my view "real" to the person experiencing it...in their context of "real" ...outside their context of "real"? I don't have a detailed expectation of what the after life will be... It doesn't have to have trees and puppy dogs...or golden streets... or harps of gold. I believe that souls separated by physical death can still be close...if they were close in this life. I've also interviewed a few people who experienced what are called "near death experiences" and they convinced me that there is a life beyond the physical world.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yes, you follow the Pharisee's OT canon that they fixed after Christ's death. :p The early Christians used the Septuagint (it's the translation of the OT quoted in the NT), which included the books commonly called "apocryphal". In Protestant Bibles, they usually use the Masoretic Text as the basis of their Bible translations, despite the fact that the Masoretic Text is less than a millenia old and the Septuagint comes the time before Christ. Oops!

The Septuagint may have been a collection, but it wasnt a cannon. The books which were important in the worship of Jehovah were the ones put together by the priesthood.
Other writings available at the time (just as there are many religious books available to us today) were not viewed by the priests as Gods Word. Thats the difference.

Do you view the DaVinci Code as Gods Word? Obviously not. What about the many letters sent by the pope to the bishops....do you view them as Gods Word? Would you include them in the bible?

Because thats what is being done by including the Apocrypha writings in the bible cannon.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As a matter of fact... yes, I can and I do. I have seen a lot of harm done with the attempted justification of beliefs in afterlives.

I would be more inclined to point fingers at control freaks claiming authority and enforcement.

I think most believers are benign.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would be more inclined to point fingers at control freaks claiming authority and enforcement.

I think most believers are benign.

I wish I could give you my experience with "most believers" then. Were you in my place I doubt you would have much patience for talk of afterlives. Or much appreciation for how benign they may be in comparison for how harmful they can also be.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I wish I could give you my experience with "most believers" then. Were you in my place I doubt you would have much patience for talk of afterlives. Or much appreciation for how benign they may be in comparison for how harmful they can also be.

I grew up in a bad neighborhood.

I never heard the mention of God beyond.....God dammit!

That ...Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.....
was never in the forefront of approach.

That lack of faith was obvious.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I grew up in a bad neighborhood.

I never heard the mention of God beyond.....God dammit!

That ...Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.....
was never in the forefront of approach.

That lack of faith was obvious.

And yet you don't see how harmful empty belief may be?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why should I have intent or desire to believe in poorly-written fiction?

I don't believe in God because of a book.

I have the stars overhead....the earth beneath my feet.....
and I am not my own handiwork.

I really like science!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"I have the stars overhead....the earth beneath my feet.....
and I am not my own handiwork."
That is OK. Everyone is like that. Perhaps you might mention the reason which makes you believe in God. I can't think of any.

averageJOE

zombie
But if the Christian or Muslim God is real then you would find it appealing cos He designed it so everybody is happy there. It's probably like the party you get forced to attend even though you don't want to and end up having a great time.

In Valhalla, you just get to get drunk and feast every day on some tip-top booze made by Gods which sounds alright too.

As regards the OP, better to believe and be wrong as there is no downside. If you don't believe and are wrong, then you might die and then find out you were in for an eternity of excruciating torment on the same day which would probably be a bit irritating :grimacing:
How could I truly be eternally happy in an afterlife if, say, my children were not there with me?

Shad

Veteran Member
Hey guys, I'm just wondering which case scenario do you think is better, and why?

I personally believe that believing in God and the after life then having it turned to be not real is better, which is the first case scenario. At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it.

Your thoughts?

Note:
There are other possible case scenarios too, but the thread is about these two only.

I voted for the second option. First I must make it clear you put forward no parameter as to what the afterlife is, no concept of Heaven or Hell, no concept of judgement. Which means your statement "At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it." is religious projection of your views on to a question with no such parameter. Either rephrase the question or acknowledge this point. The only parameters implied is the time invested with a false belief as such will be the only one I will be addressing. Option one shows a level of development of a concept and how one should look at these concepts. If accepted as true but in reality is false then this is wasted time which could of been used for more productive activities. The afterlife and God is far more complex than my view of option two which is as follows. Option two can merely address the null position regarding God thus no time is wasted over either concept as the afterlife requires God, two birds one stone. Thus less time is invested and lost to a falsehood.

Again I remind you of the lack of parameters in your question thus why my answer only addresses what you have put forward not what you project after the fact.

Unification

Now that is what i call hogus bogus.

If that was the case, people wouldnt be afraid to die.

The reason ppl are afraid is because they dont know what to expect! Thats why religions exists. It gives them hope.

The hope, fear, and myth business or the truth, life, and reality business.

People shouldn't be afraid to die and be living in fear. That type of hope creates lies and expectations.

If believing makes it true, it means that all religions will come true for the people that believe in them. What Mormons believe will become reality, and it will be different than all the other religions. Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews and Christians all believe something different is going to happen. If what they call faith and belief is all you need, all those different things will have to become true. Where do you draw the line? Can fairytales come true? They would have to if all it takes is belief that a story is true. If a kid believing in Santa Claus dies, are Santa Claus and his elves real for them in the afterlife? The millions of different gods mindkind has imagined since thought, imagination and inspiration came to be expressed..Are they all with their particular god and gods now? Greeks are with Zeus now and on and on and on? Do we all have to believe in myths to reach paradise?

Having hope in something doesn't make it true. What's true would be for all of mankind, what we all have in common. Heaven and hope for all of mankind will be right here on Earth, years and years down the road after more and more reincarnations and likely extinction. I'd say that just about all religions are the ones doing the work of the devil/mind, ones who think they're closest to God are the farthest.

Are liars, creators of divide, creators of war, and partiality and suffering, and myth believers rewarded?

The reason people are afraid to die is because of lies and not knowing the truth of life, and they go against their better judgement by believing in fairy tales.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Update: dear All, please re-read the OP and the subject.

I voted for the second option. First I must make it clear you put forward no parameter as to what the afterlife is, no concept of Heaven or Hell, no concept of judgement. Which means your statement "At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it." is religious projection of your views on to a question with no such parameter. Either rephrase the question or acknowledge this point. The only parameters implied is the time invested with a false belief as such will be the only one I will be addressing. Option one shows a level of development of a concept and how one should look at these concepts. If accepted as true but in reality is false then this is wasted time which could of been used for more productive activities. The afterlife and God is far more complex than my view of option two which is as follows. Option two can merely address the null position regarding God thus no time is wasted over either concept as the afterlife requires God, two birds one stone. Thus less time is invested and lost to a falsehood.

Again I remind you of the lack of parameters in your question thus why my answer only addresses what you have put forward not what you project after the fact.

Yes, thank you for the heads up. I edited the titles and the poll. Now the vote can be changed.

Reading the responses I saw that they were based on believing in God leads to heaven and disbelieving in Him leads to hell. But with the said flow in the OP, I might have misunderstood them.

Please have a look at it again. Further feedback is highly appreciated.

Awoon

Hey guys, I'm just wondering which case scenario do you think is better, and why?

This is provided believing in God leads to heaven and disbelieving in Him leads to hell.

I personally believe that believing in God and heaven and hell in the after life then having it turned to be not real is better, which is the first case scenario. At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it.

Your thoughts?

Note:
There are other possible case scenarios too, but the thread is about these two only.

Update: please re-read the OP and the subject.

What is "Afterlife?" If you are experiencing anything after the death process then you are still living. So, No "Afterlife" can exist.