• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and heaven and hell in the After Life: if it turns to be true of false?

Which case scenario do you think is better?

• Believing in God and the after life, but it turns to be not real.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Not believing in God and the after life, but it turns to be real.

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I chose "not believing in God and the afterlife and then it turns out to be real" being the better option because if those things don't exist, then life is a scam and a cruel joke. There has to be something better than this plane of existence, which is much closer to hell than anything else.

Which hell are you posting about ?
The day righteous Jesus died Jesus went to the ' Bible's hell ' where the dead temporarily sleep in death - John 11 vs 11-14
Since we know we are alive on this plane of existence, and Satan is the ' god' of this plane of existence - 2nd Cor. 4:4 - then yes there is something better, and isn't that ' better ' the coming righteous new world or plane of existence on earth but under Jesus' coming 1000-year governmental rule over earth when only righteousness will dwell on earth ?_________ - 2nd Peter 3:13
In the 5th chapter of Matthew Jesus referred to Psalm 37 vs 11,29 that the meek would inherit the earth. Not the earth of the wicked society of today, but the righteous earth under Jesus' new governmental rulership - Psalm 72 vs 8,12-14

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Which hell are you posting about ?
The day righteous Jesus died Jesus went to the ' Bible's hell ' where the dead temporarily sleep in death - John 11 vs 11-14
Since we know we are alive on this plane of existence, and Satan is the ' god' of this plane of existence - 2nd Cor. 4:4 - then yes there is something better, and isn't that ' better ' the coming righteous new world or plane of existence on earth but under Jesus' coming 1000-year governmental rule over earth when only righteousness will dwell on earth ?_________ - 2nd Peter 3:13
In the 5th chapter of Matthew Jesus referred to Psalm 37 vs 11,29 that the meek would inherit the earth. Not the earth of the wicked society of today, but the righteous earth under Jesus' new governmental rulership - Psalm 72 vs 8,12-14
Don't start. This isn't the thread for that and it's rude to jump on my post just to start nit-picking and preaching.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Don't start. This isn't the thread for that and it's rude to jump on my post just to start nit-picking and preaching.

Please accept my apology, I was Not trying to take the liberty to post without your consent, but I did want answers to my questions rather then trying to nit-pick. Sincerely, may you have a nice day.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
The second scenario of afterlife, with hell, is only in certain religions. If there was an afterlife who knows what it would be like since no one's ever come back from there. If there was another life it might be good. Depending on what it was like. The God part I don't know, have no idea what that would be like if it existed. Would it be the loving father type, the wrathful tyrant or something else all together?

I picked the not believing and finding it true option... a little cynical of me as i Know there is ...
Being one who died, went to the afterlife, but sadly got sent back ...
Task to perform ... and no instructions for the task .... !!

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Please accept my apology, I was Not trying to take the liberty to post without your consent, but I did want answers to my questions rather then trying to nit-pick. Sincerely, may you have a nice day.
No need to apologize.

Judging from your posts, there's just not much you and I agree on when it comes to theology. For one, I do not believe in a literal 1,000 year long reign of Christ on the earth. That's not a Catholic teaching. We're amillenialist.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why should we assume such qualities exist in this assumed after life?

Not so much an assumption as expectation.
We do have hierarchy in this life.
As chaotic this world may seem, the scheme of things without authority would be worse.

So we humans don't self govern, very well.

I don't assume heaven is less.
I suspect greater disciplines are waiting.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have yet to hear of a version of an afterlife that sounds appealing.

To me, both questions in the poll could have the exact same result. Everyone pretty much has the same chances. If one believes in God and there is and afterlife...how do you know you are worshiping the right god??? A muslim and a jehovah's witness both have the same level of faith in their god's and afterlifes; however both are very different. Thus, both have the same chances as an atheist. Also, whichever god that actually exists, are its followers suggesting that their god is so gullible that he can't tell that he is just being used as a mere insurance card?

There is only One....Almighty.
The term is self explanatory.

You can pick and choose your belief as you see fit....or left someone threaten your objection.
(some dogmatics are aggressive)

But no matter how you lived here in this life....
I believe the peace of heaven is guarded.
They will be aggressive about that one law.
I believe...
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you....is code of behavior and fair warning.

The aggressive dogmatics of this life....are going to be surprised.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Hey guys, I'm just wondering which case scenario do you think is better, and why?

I personally believe that believing in God and the after life then having it turned to be not real is better, which is the first case scenario. At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it.

Your thoughts?

Note:
There are other possible case scenarios too, but the thread is about these two only.
I personally believe that believing in two adverse and equally unlikely scenarios is silly.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Hey guys, I'm just wondering which case scenario do you think is better, and why?

I personally believe that believing in God and the after life then having it turned to be not real is better, which is the first case scenario. At least then I wouldn't burn in hell because not believing in God and the after life, as the second case scenario suggests, normally lead to it.

Your thoughts?

Note:
There are other possible case scenarios too, but the thread is about these two only.
Any deity that would be fooled by or accepts Pascals Wager is not a deity I want anything to do with.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yes, the Catholic OT canon is different from the Protestant OT canon, which is the same canon as the one JWs use. The NWT has a lot of translation differences besides that.

We use the cannon as used by the Jewish priesthood which were in use in the 1st century. Josephus writings provides a list of the books of the jewish cannon in his day and they do not include any of the apochryphal writings.

Unification

It certainly does depend on the belief system one follows. Is there any afterlife version in a religion you know of that does not have both paradise and hell?

No matter who someone is, there is both paradise and hell. Opposite polarities of the spectrum of experience of balanced life. (peace and happiness in mind and also suffering and misery in mind). The idea is to overcome the mind and be at a conscious state of peace and happiness, fullfillment of life, and contentment with anything.
Can't escape physical death, but we are too busy trying to survive when we should be learning how to live and how to die, birth and death are the same things. Jumping ship from body to body.
I'm going to physically die and die in truth, die in love, peace, oneness, and with no partiality towards anyone, higher conscious/awareness... which body I end up in and where on Earth, will be in a state of conscious I left with. Enjoying the eternal ride of consciousness and experience of life.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
We use the cannon as used by the Jewish priesthood which were in use in the 1st century. Josephus writings provides a list of the books of the jewish cannon in his day and they do not include any of the apochryphal writings.
Yes, you follow the Pharisee's OT canon that they fixed after Christ's death. :p The early Christians used the Septuagint (it's the translation of the OT quoted in the NT), which included the books commonly called "apocryphal". In Protestant Bibles, they usually use the Masoretic Text as the basis of their Bible translations, despite the fact that the Masoretic Text is less than a millenia old and the Septuagint comes the time before Christ. Oops!

Unification

Can u blame us?
Did u experience death and come back :p

We've all experienced death millions of times.
If you want to know what happens after you die, just look at your own life. This is the hereafter. This is what happens after you die. It is the hereafter of the life you lived before you were born.
We are mankind, all of it. We built this world, all of it. We lived our own history and will continue to do so.
We weren't afraid of being born, we shouldn't be afraid of dying too. Same things. We should be afraid of dying if we live like an animal and spread lies and deceit.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Can u blame us?
Did u experience death and come back :p
Speaking about coming back, there is to me fascinating research on reincarnation including tracing birth defects of children back to past lives This Scientific American blog posting is to me a very good introduction Ian Stevenson’s Case for the Afterlife: Are We ‘Skeptics’ Really Just Cynics? | Bering in Mind, Scientific American Blog Network My only quibble is his comment about karma which is based on the assumption that a succeeding life is necessarily karmicly determined by a specific preceding one. But otherwise it's well worth reading.