• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls and boys and what are we doing wrong?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Boys tend to spend more time outdoors than girls during leisure time. It is possible that part of it is social, but I think there is also overall biological variation at play here. I suspect (though this requires study) that boys feel more stressed indoors and more comfortable outdoors than girls... especially if they are within a group of similar age.
Context-Specific Outdoor Time and Physical Activity among School-Children Across Gender and Age: Using Accelerometers and GPS to Advance Methods
Nevetheless, this does not explain their actions.

For example, the girls cooked regularly. The boys had one cooked meal, and mostly subsisted on junk food. What we basically saw was boys acting infantile, unable to really take care of themselves. I don't think that has any relationship to how much time boys spend outside.

Did you watch the two videos of the results?

Little Dragon

What we basically saw was boys acting infantile, unable to really take care of themselves.
Which is why I spend most of my school years in my late teens, hanging out with the girls and not the boys. The boys, at my school, were very chimp like in nature. Always up to some sort of devilry. Pranks fights and playing truant. Only two or three of them and myself formed a Gaming club, for after school. That was about the sum of my interaction with those of my own gender at school. The rest seemed only to care about the brand of footwear they were wearing, and who was best at soccer/football or who was the toughest. Jock heavy, my school.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Which is why I spend most of my school years in my late teens, hanging out with the girls and not the boys. The boys, at my school, were very chimp like in nature. Always up to some sort of devilry. Pranks fights and playing truant. Only two or three of them and myself formed a Gaming club, for after school. That was about the sum of my interaction with those of my own gender at school. The rest seemed only to care about the brand of footwear they were wearing, and who was best at soccer/football or who was the toughest. Jock heavy, my school.
Jocks and cheerleaders seem to rule the roost. Those that are smart may get second banana role, as long as they're not nerds. Never understood that.

Little Dragon

Jocks and cheerleaders seem to rule the roost. Those that are smart may get second banana role, as long as they're not nerds. Never understood that.
Came as shock to me, how weird boys were, I'd been home schooled and privately tutored until I was 16.
The boys never bothered me though, for one, I always stood up for myself, and two, the group of girls I was friends with, would have mauled them.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I remember being surprised as a teen that the majority of my male friends were quite neat and tidy, though they never talked about it. My female friends usually weren't, though they complained about others being messy.
Exactly, it's all a conspiracy! I'm ultra neat and tidy. If everything isn't just so it perturbs me!

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think one of the few correct things the German government did in the 1930's was implement summer camps for kids, boys and girls. They learned discipline and physical fitness. This helped the kids behave more rationally since they had strict guidance and uniform standards. Of course these boys later were turned into soldiers, so quite a nefarious motive. But how Germany succeded in both war and industry shows how effective this was. Kids today face a near 33% diabetes rate, and obesity is about the same. This isn't a failure of kids, but of adults. My generation growing up in the 70's werre rather free range, but we still had fairly intact rules and expectations.

My question as a follow up to the study in the op is at what point do young boys start maturing and realizing they need to be clean and organized to get along in life. It would be interesting to see the same study at different age ranges and see if there is a "catch up" phase that boys hit at some point.

Let's note that the human brain does not reach full dvelopment until about 27.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think one of the few correct things the German government did in the 1930's was implement summer camps for kids, boys and girls. They learned discipline and physical fitness. This helped the kids behave more rationally since they had strict guidance and uniform standards. Of course these boys later were turned into soldiers, so quite a nefarious motive. But how Germany succeded in both war and industry shows how effective this was. Kids today face a near 33% diabetes rate, and obesity is about the same. This isn't a failure of kids, but of adults. My generation growing up in the 70's werre rather free range, but we still had fairly intact rules and expectations.

My question as a follow up to the study in the op is at what point do young boys start maturing and realizing they need to be clean and organized to get along in life. It would be interesting to see the same study at different age ranges and see if there is a "catch up" phase that boys hit at some point.

Let's note that the human brain does not reach full dvelopment until about 27.
I do wonder why so much is assumed about a person based off of their tidiness... Of my two tidiest friends in my young years, both wound up in detention centers for awhile. But their rooms were immaculate!

I also find it interesting that while one was also extremely mindful of his personal hygiene, the other tended to neglect his.

My mom and her sister are both untidy. My mom's is just general clutter, and her life is generally cluttered. My aunt boarders on hoarding, and has always had a fairly messy house. However, she's a high income earner, and has managed to run successful businesses. Thrive in some areas, but not in all, I figure.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I remember being surprised as a teen that the majority of my male friends were quite neat and tidy, though they never talked about it. My female friends usually weren't, though they complained about others being messy.
All of my room was clean, except for a chair that I put all of my previously worn clothes on. I accumulated quite the pile until laundry day.