• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls and boys and what are we doing wrong?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I was reading about some scientific research. They took 10 girls and ten boys and put each group in a separate house without supervision for 5 days. Adults filmed the whole thing, and were there in case an emergency happened, but did not interfere with anything the kids did.

How the girls acted was enormously different from how the boys acted.

The first thing the boys did was trash the house and write all over the walls. Although they had taken a cooking course they did not cook or have meals together. They simply scrounged for easy snacks in the cupboards. They divided themselves into two antagonistic gangs. One boy was singled out for bullying.

The girls cooked, cleaned, and organized a fashion show for entertainment purposes. They did not divide into cliques. When a cat was found, they all wanted to take care of the cat.

So, folks... What the HECK are we doing wrong?

This study can be found on numerous sites: here are two

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading about some scientific research. They took 10 girls and ten boys and put each group in a separate house without supervision for 5 days. Adults filmed the whole thing, and were there in case an emergency happened, but did not interfere with anything the kids did.

The first thing the boys did was trash the house and write all over the walls. Although they had taken a cooking course they did not cook or have meals together. They simply scrounged for easy snacks in the cupboards. They divided themselves into two antagonistic gangs. One boy was singled out for bullying.

The girls cooked, cleaned, and organized a fashion show for entertainment purposes. They did not divide into cliques. When a cat was found, they all wanted to take care of the cat.

It said the children were about 11 or 12. Boys are absolute terrors at that age, so it's no surprise from that standpoint. I think girls mature faster than boys.

IndigoChild5559

Nothing, girls and boys have different brains/psychologies and boys need more help than girls at these ages.
So you are blaming the woeful behavior of the boys on their biology? Tell me I'm misunderstanding you.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Reminds me of Lord Of The Flies

"kill the pig, cut her throat, spill the blood!"

Watchmen

Premium Member

Why do you assume the outcome was “wrong”? What’s wrong about it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, you understood me. Male and female brains are different and we learned this in my Teaching Assistant training. Boys develop slower than girls and need more help. I don't see an issue here, it's just the way we grow.
Perusing the link, I didn't see how these kids were chosen.
I'd expect variation by country, class, race, education level,
etc. In my experience managing houses with all males, &
all females, the variation in behavior was enormous.
The experiment lacks breadth & detail to have any meaning.

The worst tenants were males on violent sports teams, eg,
football, hockey, wrestling. They had a culture of brutality
& privilege, which was rough on houses & fellow students,
eg, much damage, many assaults. Hockey players once
did over $70,000 in damage to a house. But a group of
all girls set the record at $250,000+ of damage. And they
wanted their security deposit back.

IndigoChild5559

No, you understood me. Male and female brains are different and we learned this in my Teaching Assistant training. Boys develop slower than girls and need more help. I don't see an issue here, it's just the way we grow.
So you are saying that older boys should have been used for the boys group?

I think that if the difference really is maturity, and the difference is that great, then it is wrong to have school classroom that put girls and boys of the same age together.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So you are saying that older boys should have been used for the boys group?

I think that if the difference really is maturity, and the difference is that great, then it is wrong to have school classroom that put girls and boys of the same age together.
Yes, and there have been and are moves to do just this in the teaching/school profession because boys are falling drastically behind in school systems.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
By way of comparison.....when I was at uni I was told (on good authority - by the head of residential security) that ****-tips were most likely to be female flats. The 8 female flat above mine was indeed a good example. (whereas we had drawn up a cleaning rota :blush: )

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, and there have been and are moves to do just this in the teaching/school profession because boys are falling drastically behind in school systems.
Intellectually or socially? There's often a difference between the capacity to learn course material versus developing emotional and social skills.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Intellectually or socially? There's often a difference between the capacity to learn course material versus developing emotional and social skills.
Psychobiologically, such as with handwriting and the ability to communicate effectively, which girls do better at on nearly all metrics from nursery age.