• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl talk

Booko

Deviled Hen
dawny0826 said:
This may sound like a goofy question...but can anyone recommend a really good foot lotion? We're having cooler weather and my footsies look atrocious.
Here's a tip I got from a massage therapist. This will sound goofy, but it really works.

Before you go to bed rub your feet with olive oil. Wear your socks to bed. The next morning if you can, shower or just soak your feet for a few minutes, then use a brush or pumice stone. I promise you that you will NOT smell like a Greek salad when you are done. :)

Also, for you ladies with dry skin problems, here's what the Swedes do: Pour oil (olive oil is good) into a tablespoon. Drink it. Now please drink something else quick. :)

Swedish women I know think Americans are strange for not doing this. If you put a good oil into your system, it will find its way into your skin and help keep it from getting dry.

I do the olive oil thing not for dry skin, but as part of a liver detox tonic. After the olive oil (Bertollis extra light is good if you don't want something strong) I have half a juice of lemon, followed by a scant tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. It sounds gawdawful, but you really do get used to it. If you want, you can always just use it for salad dressing. It works just as well that way, but I can't manage to eat salad for breakfast somehow.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
Hehee, I love that shirt! (I like math when I learn it a certain way. I sometimes wonder if I should go back to school to finish up my AA.)

*brings in a pot of the only tea she's found that she likes so far, blueberry, and offers it up to the group*

I almost over looked you, Feathers..........shame on me! :flower:

I'd love some blueberry tea, thanks. :)

I saw that shirt, too, and the way I balance the checkbook sometimes makes me wonder about my own math skills........ :EEK!:

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
dawny0826 said:
Target rocks. My girls and I LOVE Target.
I live for Target...my favorite French boutique. :)

Where does everyone like to shop for clothes?

The past few years I've had an awful time shopping for clothes. I find lingerie in the street clothes department and street clothes in the lingerie department. I'm so confused!

I found a great pair of purple striped capris in Target's lingerie department last year. They're very light, which is great in the South's heat. I thought I was weird wearing them in public, and then I noticed someone else doing the same thing in a grocery store, and we had a good laugh over that. I've seen one of Ellen's girlfriends wearing a "Toadily Cool" pj top as a shirt too. If you didn't know they sold those as pjs, who would know?

Ellen and I have every bit of Toadily Cool wear that Target has put out. :)

Can anyone suggest someplace to shop that doesn't make a women in her 40s look ridiculous? I don't want to look dowdy either, but sheesh, it's kinda silly looking if I wear the stuff they sell most places. It makes me look like I'm desperately trying to pretend I'm not getting older. :(

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Booko said:
Here's a tip I got from a massage therapist. This will sound goofy, but it really works.

Before you go to bed rub your feet with olive oil. Wear your socks to bed. The next morning if you can, shower or just soak your feet for a few minutes, then use a brush or pumice stone. I promise you that you will NOT smell like a Greek salad when you are done. :)
I've never heard of doing that with oil, I do it with a thick lotion (I think it's called body butter, but it's not butter, it's lotion), about once a week. Of course the socks come off about halfway thru the night because I can't stand to wear socks to bed, but it does work!

I like the tablespoon of olive oil a day too, but I'm sure I eat that much of the stuff everyday. I use it lot in my cooking and on salads.

Ok, I have a question: what is a good exercise to tone up my back? I workout at the gym everyday, but my back still has these embarrassing rolls of fat right under below my shoulder blades. Obviously the strength training machines I've been using are not targeting this area, so there is something else I need to be doing, but I don't know what! And I keep forgetting to ask the trainers who circle the gym looking for people to help. Any ideas?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Booko said:
I have very long hair too...I put something in a post that was ostensibly a reply to Sunstone. Maybe his Acme Latex Love Doll can try it out.

I've done a brief search on the web, and there is darned little on very long hair styles that doesn't involve cutting it in some way or doing silly things with curling irons.

I found this though, which is a nice combo of techniques...it could be adapted in several different ways.

http://gallery.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ID=3939

This has some possibilities too:

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip167.htm

Must wait until frubals are refreshed before gifting some to you, Booko. :hug: Those links are fantabulous. I saved "hairboutique" to my favorites. :)

I love the profile of Portia de Rossi. She has such beautiful hair - it's so healthy looking and shiny!

*sets cup of decaf in front of Booko* :flower:

I love your suggestion with the olive oil. I used to do a treatment like that for my hair when it was just a tad bit shorter, and after sleeping with it rubbed in my hair and scalp and a bag on my head, I'd rinse it out, and my hair was so shiny and soft........Hmmmmm.........methinks I'm going to try that again maybe tomorrow night!

Dawny0826 said:
You dance? Dancing rocks. What type of dancing do you do?

Ballet and modern, mostly. :) But I've also done a few variety shows in my lifetime, too. At this moment, though, I'm mostly focused on broadway-styled jazz. I hope to get back to modern this year since it's my strength.

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
Maize said:
I've never heard of doing that with oil, I do it with a thick lotion (I think it's called body butter, but it's not butter, it's lotion), about once a week. Of course the socks come off about halfway thru the night because I can't stand to wear socks to bed, but it does work!

My Mom has used Bag Balm also (it's mostly lanolin) and it does work, but it feels like having thick Vaseline on your feet. Yuck!

I like the tablespoon of olive oil a day too, but I'm sure I eat that much of the stuff everyday. I use it lot in my cooking and on salads.

Oh, so do I. But there's something about taking it first thing in the morning on its own that makes it work differently in the body. I do that, then go take a shower. Then coffee and breakfast.

Ok, I have a question: what is a good exercise to tone up my back? I workout at the gym everyday, but my back still has these embarrassing rolls of fat right under below my shoulder blades. Obviously the strength training machines I've been using are not targeting this area, so there is something else I need to be doing, but I don't know what! And I keep forgetting to ask the trainers who circle the gym looking for people to help. Any ideas?

I wish! I'm just looking forward to sometime this year (hopefully!) when my doc tells me I can go back to exercising again. In the meantime, it's just the gardening and usual stuff, though I do a LOT of gardening.

Speaking of which...when do we take a stroll in the garden?

Booko

Deviled Hen
EnhancedSpirit said:
I love shopping at thrift stores.

Isn't it just as exciting as hunting is for men?

I love that too... and flea markets are great fun.

I don't care too much for garage sales, though. It's too much getting in and out of the car, and not enough shopping. :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Booko said:
I live for Target...my favorite French boutique. :)

Where does everyone like to shop for clothes?

The past few years I've had an awful time shopping for clothes. I find lingerie in the street clothes department and street clothes in the lingerie department. I'm so confused!

I found a great pair of purple striped capris in Target's lingerie department last year. They're very light, which is great in the South's heat. I thought I was weird wearing them in public, and then I noticed someone else doing the same thing in a grocery store, and we had a good laugh over that. I've seen one of Ellen's girlfriends wearing a "Toadily Cool" pj top as a shirt too. If you didn't know they sold those as pjs, who would know?

Ellen and I have every bit of Toadily Cool wear that Target has put out. :)

Can anyone suggest someplace to shop that doesn't make a women in her 40s look ridiculous? I don't want to look dowdy either, but sheesh, it's kinda silly looking if I wear the stuff they sell most places. It makes me look like I'm desperately trying to pretend I'm not getting older. :([/quote]

If I think of a place, Booko, I'll let you know. I'm still a young whipper-snapper in my '30s, so I hope I'll find any good suggestions for you - there has got to be places out there.

Come to think of it........

My mother receives catalogs with REALLY gorgeous styles that she'll order from (she's turning 60 in less than a year), and they look great on her. They don't make her look stuffy, yet they're beautiful, feminine, and affordable. I'll go check it out for you.

Remind me if I forget, too. :hug:

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
MysticSang'ha said:
Must wait until frubals are refreshed before gifting some to you, Booko. :hug: Those links are fantabulous. I saved "hairboutique" to my favorites.
I did as well. I think I'll try some of those out on my daughter.

I love the profile of Portia de Rossi. She has such beautiful hair - it's so healthy looking and shiny!
Mine always has been too. I don't do anything special. But then I don't get dry skin either, so I'm probably just lucky or something.

I did start dying my hair a few years ago. I'm getting white hair, which is ok, except it's coming in so strangly it looks like I walked under a ladder where someone was painting the house white. At least this blonde color makes the white look evener, even if it doesn't take the color very well. One of the nice side effects is I look decent in colors I could never wear before.

*sets cup of decaf in front of Booko* :flower:
o

Thanks! :flower2:

I love your suggestion with the olive oil. I used to do a treatment like that for my hair when it was just a tad bit shorter, and after sleeping with it rubbed in my hair and scalp and a bag on my head, I'd rinse it out, and my hair was so shiny and soft........Hmmmmm.........methinks I'm going to try that again maybe tomorrow night!
On the advice of African-American freinds of ours, we used Queen Helene on my daughter that way a few times. They tell us that price doesn't make it any better, and Queen Helene is the cheapest out there. Doesn't smell bad either.

Since I started dying my hair, I now have to use a conditioner on it. There's the stuff that comes in a tube with the Loreal hair dye, but sometimes I use it more than once a week. I get it for free from my Mom's beautician, because she always has leftovers from dye jobs on her elderly clients that have very little hair.

Ballet and modern, mostly. But I've also done a few variety shows in my lifetime, too. At this moment, though, I'm mostly focused on broadway-styled jazz. I hope to get back to modern this year since it's my strength.

Remind me to talk with you about dance careers sometime. My daughter's a dance freak and would like to be professional. I know zip about how to guide her into that, though. I uploaded a couple of pics of her.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Maize said:

Ever try ballet? :D

Off the top of my head, I know that Pilates has some great back exercises on their machine work. They're tough, but they're quite effective.

Do you use the free weights, Maize? The "lat rows" are really good for the latissimus dorsi where those stupid rolls can show up, and the machines don't generally target that area as well as free weights can. I'm not a personal trainer, mind you, but I know what kind of weight training is really effective for me, and the rolls that you're talking about can be a stubborn spot for me, too.

I use 15-pound weights (since it's a large muscle group). If I want to work my right side, I prop my left foot up on a stool so my thigh is parallel to the floor, I prop my left elbow onto my thigh for support - since I'm bending over I need to support the lower back. I then lift the weight in my right hand up to my lats, making sure that I don't let my right shoulder rise up higher than my left shoulder. I don't do it often enough, but ideally I try to strive for 3 sets of 10 repititions each set on each side.

Then again, you could still try ballet. :D It's the BEST in bum and back workouts since the 16th century. lol

Peace,
Mystic

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
It's horrible, but I very rarely like to shop for clothes. While I'm not stylish enough to wear most of 'em, though, I love some of the shirts that they have at "Hot Topic". (They had a Merry and Pippin one! *jumps up and down*) It's sad that most of the clothing that they carry in their stores (at least here) is made for the... how to put this nicely... people that do not necessarily have bosoms.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
MysticSang'ha said:
Ever try ballet? :D
:biglaugh: No... I don't dance. :eek:
Do you use the free weights, Maize? The "lat rows" are really good for the latissimus dorsi where those stupid rolls can show up, and the machines don't generally target that area as well as free weights can. I'm not a personal trainer, mind you, but I know what kind of weight training is really effective for me, and the rolls that you're talking about can be a stubborn spot for me, too.

I use 15-pound weights (since it's a large muscle group). If I want to work my right side, I prop my left foot up on a stool so my thigh is parallel to the floor, I prop my left elbow onto my thigh for support - since I'm bending over I need to support the lower back. I then lift the weight in my right hand up to my lats, making sure that I don't let my right shoulder rise up higher than my left shoulder. I don't do it often enough, but ideally I try to strive for 3 sets of 10 repititions each set on each side.
I do the lat row machine, but not the free weights. Maybe I'm just impatient... well, I know I am. I don't generally use the free weights, but I'll give it a try! Thanks!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
:disco: Cheers to Booko's daughter!

Yep, it's a tough career. Anyone who thinks that dancing is for good money is out of their minds. Even the top dancers, choreographers, and directors don't get paid anywhere near other professionals who are the tops in their respective fields. But, there's always work out there, and that can be hard to see at first. So, I'll say it again, there is always work out there, there are always auditions being posted, and there are always empty spaces to submit a show to. :)

Talent is only part of the picture. Most of the time, it takes pure guts and determination. I know a great friend of mine who doesn't have half the talent with her technique as many other dancers I know, but she's always working in Chicago.

Teaching dance is a great way to make money, and if she wants to when she's a little older, she can open up a dance studio and make a living off strictly her business. I prefer not to right now because I'd never see my kids, but I'm thinking about opening a studio, perhaps, in ten years if I'm still on this dear Earth.

Most of the time, dancers have second or third jobs in order to find any type of financial stability, if they are single. I was a waitress for years (I was horrible at it), and it was great money I could make in a weekend so I could devote more time to 8 hour rehearsals that are normally unpaid. Then I'd ask off for weekends where I was performing, and I'd normally be paid based on the house receipts, or how many people paid to see the show. The more people in the audience, the more I'd be paid.

Contract work is the best, though, since at least you know how much you're getting paid and when you're getting paid, so you have that to go by. But I wouldn't wait until a company or show was posting auditions if they only do contract work. Otherwise, I'd rarely work. Every company has a different payroll system, so it's good to not be TOO picky.

Tax time usually is crazy, so she needs to be aware that she'll probably need to be organized with all the forms, documents, and records that she'll need - much like a construction worker who might have 20 jobs throughout the year. But a dancer might have some work where she's an independent contractor, and other work where she's claimed as an employee, so organization and knowledge of what is tax deductible is a great foundation for her.

Hmmmm, if I think of anything else, I'll let you know. PM me anytime, if you want. :flower:

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
FeathersinHair said:
It's horrible, but I very rarely like to shop for clothes. While I'm not stylish enough to wear most of 'em, though, I love some of the shirts that they have at "Hot Topic". (They had a Merry and Pippin one! *jumps up and down*) It's sad that most of the clothing that they carry in their stores (at least here) is made for the... how to put this nicely... people that do not necessarily have bosoms.

Oh sheesh, you have the same problem I do.

I am thankful for all those women getting breast enhancement surgery for one reason at least. Now you can find small sizes with DD cups in normal stores.

They're all still in black, white and beige, though. Why do retailers think that someone with a d+ cup size wouldn't be interested in PURPLE??? :149:

Circle_One

Bwahaha! So I've been sitting here, reading this thread and trying to find something to chime in on (as I am of the female persuasion), but it's so horrible. I love you all dearly, but it seems I've not much in common with any of you. I hate shopping for clothes, I don't workout, am not very into doing my hair, or what it looks like, except, of course, for dying it extreme colors, which I'm sure not many of you do, don't get pedicures or manicures, or use any sort of skin lotion (except on newly inked tattoos).

It's kind of sad. I'm not very ladylike in the least..

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ooo, ooo! Can I suggest belly dancing? It's an incredible way to not only exercise but to also get back in touch with your natural grace and connection to the earth!