• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From A Philosophical Standpoint: How Do you See the World ?

our environments,backgrounds,schools,parents all have something to do with how we live our lives right now

how i see it depends on how i feel that day

how about you

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
All things are constantly changing. Our viewpoints, likes and dislikes, feelings, and everything else are always changing. That is why those things are not who we really are. Even the world, and the things in it, are always changing. So there's no use to becoming attached to them.

Onkara

I agree with you both. It is transient and changing. However there is a sense of permanence running through it which I can attribute to greater things, for example the sun will rise, my clothes on me are the same, the world will be there when I wake in the morning. However on closer inspection these too are subject to change, which implies that all generalisations are inherently wrong as facts in themselves. They are all inter-dependent it seems, as inter-dependence is the flesh around the phenomenon of "change". In other words for the recognition of change there has to be inter-dependence, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I agree with you both. It is transient and changing. However there is a sense of permanence running through it which I can attribute to greater things, for example the sun will rise, my clothes on me are the same, the world will be there when I wake in the morning. However on closer inspection these too are subject to change, which implies that all generalisations are inherently wrong as facts in themselves. They are all inter-dependent it seems, as inter-dependence is the flesh around the phenomenon of "change". In other words for the recognition of change there has to be inter-dependence, wouldn't you agree?

Absolutely. To take your three examples: the movement of the earth causing day and night, or the sun to rise and set, is itself change; the clothes we wear are slowly decaying, and the world, while still there, is a different place when we wake up than when we went to sleep.

Onkara

Absolutely. To take your three examples: the movement of the earth causing day and night, or the sun to rise and set, is itself change; the clothes we wear are slowly decaying, and the world, while still there, is a different place when we wake up than when we went to sleep.

Yes, sleep seems to be a critical experience in confirming that any idea of a permanent external world is a label too and could be subject to impermanence and change. We tend to convince ourself that the world or something material will be there because it was there when we last looked and it is there as we look now. However I think we might both agree that just become something hasn't changed for a long time doesn't mean it isn't subject to change.

I would like to consider what this means practically on the level of daily interaction, any ideas?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It too see it as change but just change. I am defining world broadly as meaning everything.

If you mean just the world we live on, I see it as home.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Yes, sleep seems to be a critical experience in confirming that any idea of a permanent external world is a label too and could be subject to impermanence and change. We tend to convince ourself that the world or something material will be there because it was there when we last looked and it is there as we look now. However I think we might both agree that just become something hasn't changed for a long time doesn't mean it isn't subject to change.

I would like to consider what this means practically on the level of daily interaction, any ideas?

To me, it has several, everyday functions, that help keep me level-headed. First comes with feelings. Since feelings come and go, there's no point in actually letting them come to fruition. This helps especially when I get angry. I know anger comes, and it will fade, so when it does come, I can just watch it fall away. The second comes with material possessions. I know that things change, they get old, they break, etc. So, if something happens to something I own, say, a book, or an electronic, I don't get upset at it, I just realize that this is a part of every day life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't seem that how I see the world changes on a day to day basis. I mean, I can't see it at all. It's a little too big for that. And while my vision is no doubt deteriorating as I age, it sure isn't noticeable. Blue still looks blue, trees still look like trees, and since I've never been into outer space, I've never seen the world.

:D (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It doesn't seem that how I see the world changes on a day to day basis. I mean, I can't see it at all. It's a little too big for that. And while my vision is no doubt deteriorating as I age, it sure isn't noticeable. Blue still looks blue, trees still look like trees, and since I've never been into outer space, I've never seen the world.

:D (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Because it changes so slow, and most of the changes are done in your subconscious mind rather than your conscious mind, so noticing it would be like noticing something sssssssllllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyy moving out of the furthest corner of your eye (where your pupil is not focused on)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
In terms of philosophical certainty: The entire realm of my experience of existence is limited by my capacity to perceive and to consider. I know some form of 'I' the philosopher 'exists' in some form. I perceive and consider things, though this by no means suggests those things exist independent of me and my experience. I also acknowledge my experience of existence can be effected by things I am (or was) not aware of.
I can for example trip over something I was not aware was behind me; I can unknowingly view a room purely through a lens in the air (which alters how I perceive the next room), it would be a vastly different experience of that other room through that lens as opposed to without (though the lens itself might be a component of 'I', subconsciously inserted into my experience of existence).​

I can recognise by implication that the conscious 'knowledge' currently available to 'I', might be imperfect; to be able to recognise incongruence between my experiences and my perceived 'knowledge'. It is therefore possible for me to 'learn', to gain altered or additional access to information, 'I' can come to believe something I did not before, or to understand it in a different way. This suggests two things: firstly that the scope of 'I' can change to incorporate new understandings and secondly that all else that can be perceived or considered must at the absolute least be available to 'I' for it to be processed, thus it must exist at least as some component of 'I' (though it still does not imply 'not I' exists in a similar manner as 'I').

An imperfect I exists in a state of change; anything I perceive or conceive exists - at least as part of I. Of this I am philosophically 'certain'.

In terms of pragmatic acceptance: The only thing I pragmatically accept is the natural scope of existence; things I can and cannot perceive yet are subject to a system of laws and constraints, the (imperfectly understood) laws of existence, be it logic, mathematics etc; things that can be reasoned to fit these laws and to be predicted and repeatedly demonstrated to show the imperfect knowledge we have is 'reasonable' in it's ability to predict reality even if not perfect - all of it I pragmatically accept as 'real' components of existence. All the while acknowledging 'I' and other cognizant entities exist with relation to being housed in natural containers, that each cognizant entity might be similar to me in that it has imperfect knowledge and does it's best to understand reality. Because of this some people attempt to learn things and to refine understanding of reality, while others attempt to assert things and to redefine reality to fit.

Last edited:

apophenia

From A Philosophical Standpoint: How Do you See the World ?

I don't generally look at the world "From A Philosophical Standpoint".

Philosophy may be engaged in on a needs basis, such as when conversing with others, or when there is a need to make a difficult choice, or deal with a crisis or disappointment.

"How Do you See the World ?"

Sometimes I see everything at once, other times I look at things.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
our environments,backgrounds,schools,parents all have something to do with how we live our lives right now

how about you
In that sense, I have an odd view of the world that echoes outwards from the core of my being. My day to day experience is for the most part, a giggle and a laugh away from the next giggle and laugh. Because of how my brain is wired, physical reality almost continually strike my funny bone and I can almost always find something amusing in my surroundings. Due to this foible of my nature, I can take some getting used to. People often ask if I am ever serious - which makes me laugh even harder.

But what is my philosophy? That's hard to say as I'm too busy doing research about the physical experience to worry too much about it.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Well, I'm from a conservative Christian background; Southern Baptist to be precise. Where we are all simply waiting for the end of the world so that Gods plan for the saved will be fulfilled. We will live in paradise and this world is not permanent. We all have a purpose in life that God himself planned out.

The only thing I retained is the idea of impermanence. Everything in life is only temporary. Love, living, anger, hatred, me typing this sentence; all eventually will end.That's what makes it all the more precious. Also, unlike my Christian family who believes God has a plan for all, I take a more existentialist route. That life, and by extension the universe, has no intrinsic value. Nor is it pointless. It just simply is. So any and all value and meaning we create for ourselves.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It all boils down to two primary perspectives on my part: pragmatism and humor. Everything else is just an extension of these.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

how about you
Me too, but it doesn't affect my philosophy much.

Edit: Oh, I suppose we're supposed to say what influences our philosophy. If there is one consistent cord in my adult life, I'd say it is, "Don't rock the boat." If you don't fall out you won't get wet; and if you fall out and find you don't get wet, you haven't really rocked the boat.

Last edited: