• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free will?

Alone

Banned by request
The post that you agree on is definitely a very interesting thought, however it gives the assumption that I am supposed to tell God what he is going to do that is make me righteous or forgive me or whatever I'm not sure that's entirely accurate maybe I'm misunderstanding this theology. Can you clarify this a little more the other guy never wrote anything else back.?
oops I was mistaken he did right back I just forgot because it was an accusation that I was denying God because I'm not telling him to declare me righteous, could you please explain this further thanks, or anyone else that holds this position.?

shmogie

@Shmogie, I never thought I'd see the day when you and I would agree so fully on anything, but I guess miracles do happen after all! :) And to make it all the more miraculous, the other two posters who have liked your post so far are @Deeje and @InChrist, two posters with whom I almost never see eye-to-eye. So, kudos for a well-put response! (I would not have used the term "positional justification"; rather, I'd have said that while we can not be individually perfect, we can be "perfect in Christ," which is just another way of saying what you said.)
Thank you ! Only goes to show that four pennies thrown at the same time can all come up heads, once in a great while.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The post that you agree on is definitely a very interesting thought, however it gives the assumption that I am supposed to tell God what he is going to do that is make me righteous or forgive me or whatever I'm not sure that's entirely accurate maybe I'm misunderstanding this theology. Can you clarify this a little more the other guy never wrote anything else back.?
I'm not sure I can explain. I don't believe there is anything specific you must do in order for God to consider you "righteous." I don't see God as keeping a tally of your successes and weighing them against your failures. To me, it's more a matter of what's in your heart than anything else. If you truly love Jesus Christ, I believe you will genuinely try to keep His commandments. I don't think God expects any more from you than your best efforts, which include repenting whenever you realize that you have fallen short of the goal. It is by grace that we are not only “saved” but made better. While it is true that God's plan is designed to bring us home to Him, it is designed even more to bring us home to Him transformed into better sons and daughters than we started out. Grace is the divine assistance that makes it possible for us to handle things we can’t figure out, can’t do, can’t overcome and can’t manage on our own. Because of grace, not only can we "go home" someday to our Heavenly Father, but can “feel at home” in His presence. We will feel like we belong with Him because, though grace, we will have become what He wants us to become. When you are genuinely committed to Jesus Christ, that's enough to make you perfect in God's eyes.

Last edited:

Alone

Banned by request
I'm not sure I can explain. I don't believe there is anything specific you must do in order for God to consider you "righteous." I don't see God as keeping a tally of your successes and weighing them against your failures. To me, it's more a matter of what's in your heart than anything else. If you truly love Jesus Christ, I believe you will genuinely try to keep His commandments. I don't think God expects any more from you than your best efforts, which include repenting whenever you realize that you have fallen short of the goal. It is by grace that we are not only “saved” but made better. While it is true that God's plan is designed to bring us home to Him, it is designed even more to bring us home to Him transformed into better sons and daughters than we started out. Grace is the divine assistance that makes it possible for us to handle things we can’t figure out, can’t do, can’t overcome and can’t manage on our own. Because of grace, not only can we "go home" someday to our Heavenly Father, but we can “feel at home” in His presence. We will feel like we belong with him because, though grace, we have become what He wants us to become. When you are genuinely committed to Jesus Christ, that's enough, that's enough to make you perfect in God's eyes.
Hmmmm.... Does that mean I can receive Grace if I am committed to Christ? Or if God is the one that gives Grace how do you know that he has given it to you? John 3
27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hmmmm.... Does that mean I can receive Grace if I am committed to Christ? Or if God is the one that gives Grace how do you know that he has given it to you? John 3
27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven
You know if you're committed to Christ or not, and it is my belief that if you are, you can be the recipient of His grace. God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ are united in their desires for our happiness and spiritual growth, so whether the gift of grace specifically comes from "God" or "Christ" it's yours for the asking. I believe you'll be able to feel the difference it makes in your life, and that's how you'll know you've received it.

Alone

Banned by request
You know if you're committed to Christ or not, and it is my belief that if you are, you can be the recipient of His grace. God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ are united in their desires for our happiness and spiritual growth, so whether the gift of grace specifically comes from "God" or "Christ" it's yours for the asking. I believe you'll be able to feel the difference it makes in your life, and that's how you'll know you've received it.
Okay I can accept that answer I haven't felt it yet so I just have to keep plugging away thanks for your answers

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Okay I can accept that answer I haven't felt it yet so I just have to keep plugging away thanks for your answers
You know, it's probably not going to come as some kind of an epiphany. I believe it requires trust on your part. Only you can know if you're fully committed to Christ. If you are, you have to trust that He's not going to promise you something and then turn around and go back on His word. :)

Alone

Banned by request
You know, it's probably not going to come as some kind of an epiphany. I believe it requires trust on your part. Only you can know if you're fully committed to Christ. If you are, you have to trust that He's not going to promise you something and then turn around and go back on His word. :)
True that

InChrist

Free4ever
I have asked him 12 times I don't think he likes me very much I guess that's why I'm trying to do better? not to be saved but because it's the right thing to do
If you have sincerely asked Him , even once, then the problem lies with you not actually believing, not in Jesus or any lack on His ability to save or keep His word. He doesn't save people who "do better" and think they make a good impression. Jesus saves sinners.

Alone

Banned by request
what are you hoping for?
If you are referring to what I was hoping or thought that it was going to say when I read it, then I thought it was going to be some kind of peachy Rosie I'm going to feel better type of thing, but if you mean what am I hoping for now, then I would have to say..... Not being in the lake of fire.

Alone

Banned by request
If you have sincerely asked Him , even once, then the problem lies with you not actually believing, not in Jesus or any lack on His ability to save or keep His word. He doesn't save people who "do better" and think they make a good impression. Jesus saves sinners.
Yes, I totally agree with you on that, however I don't like being faced with the fact of not believing, especially when that means eternal fire.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and the Carpenter mentioned something about baptism
from Him it is not by water
it is of fire

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I have just gone through your thread on here and if I may, I'd like to comment on these points....sorry its so long but I wanted to condense your thoughts into one post.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
1st Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
So.... If I have free will I wonder why I cannot follow these two verses or rather choose to follow these two verses?

So it appears that you need a better definition of "perfect" and "holy", if an imperfect human is to imitate God.
The Greek words rendered “holy” (haʹgi·os) and “holiness” (ha·gi·a·smosʹ ha·gi·oʹtes; ha·gi·o·syʹne) denote separation to God; they also are used to refer to holiness as a quality of God and to purity or perfection in one’s personal conduct, as in abiding by God's moral laws.

I continue to try and dry and try yet for some reason I continue to fail and fail and fail, almost to the point that I would rather die than continue to sin, as if I'm possessed or something I want to do what is right in my head but my body doesn't follow it's as if I have no control, of course I know that may sound like a cop out however I have tried everything from intentionally being homeless 2 walking around the country trying to clean up the sin out of my life with absolutely no results,

This is telling me something about your ability to control yourself and your actions. Its as if your mind and body are under separate commanders. This, to all intents and purposes, may very well be an OCD issue. Your mind simply cannot control your actions. Has anyone ever suggested this to you? Do you have compulsions at times that are impossible for you to avoid happening?

That makes sense, so I guess my circumstance would be temptation, do you think that if I said I can be perfect then tomorrow I would just wake up and be perfect? Just because I said I "can" instead of "cannot"?

Affirmation, both positive and negative, can influence our actions.
If you tell yourself you "can't" do something then you probably won't.

How do you know that is what perfect means

Jesus was perfect. There is an example. Imitate him and you can't go wrong....but none of us can do so perfectly.

I think I recall a scripture verse that says he stands at the door and knocks obviously that has to be a theoretical door? (Theoretical might not be the exact word I'm looking for here but the word is eluding me at the moment)

Jesus taught us to "keep asking...keep seeking...keep knocking" and the door will be opened to us. (Luke 11:9)
Our behavior determines whether that door will open.

@dybmh asked...."Does your lack of belief in free-will effect your behavior? Are you less likely to take responsibility for hurting peoples feelings or do you lack impulse control?

Though not addressed to you personally, I believe that this is pertinent. Do you think you lack impulse control?
That is a medically recognized condition. Understanding it could help you deal with it in a more effective way than just being constantly disappointed in yourself.....how frustrating!

Well to be quite honest with you I'm not sure, I know that the Bible talks a lot about predestination, and I can't find the word free will in the Bible however there are verses that talk about choosing this and choosing that so I guess I'm actually trying to figure out what I believe here on this subject.

Without free will, the command in the Garden of Eden concerning the eating of the forbidden fruit would have been meaningless....the penalty also would have been meaningless....it was about choices and consequences....it still is. God predestines very little. He is more concerned with reacting to our use of free will.

all I know is that I try and fail and repeat and wonder why I am not able to find a way to change?

The Bible gives us the incentive.....hate what God hates. If you don't hate it, you will be more inclined to do it.
But OCD does not allow you that choice.....you will do what you hate and lament the fact that you did it. It means a constant beating up on yourself.....that is what your life sounds like. I have a dear friend who suffers with this and its a daily struggle. I think I understand what you mean.

Things are becoming so cloudy in my head that it seems like the only choice I have anymore is which sin will I do next, almost as if I don't see the right anymore, I do not like feeling this way and somehow it's not changing, I've tried Church, praying the quote-unquote prayer 12 *, baptism 5 + x and even some silly things I'd rather not mention I tried to change this state that I'm in almost to the point of just giving up and accepting a fate in a fiery furnace which is not very comforting at all a man can only try so long with repeated failures before he gives up?

To ease your mind...there is no fiery furnace. "Hellfire" was an invention of the Catholic Church to scare their flocks into submission. It is not taught in the Bible at all....but you will find it in many pagan religions.

So the general consensus seems to be that falling short is what we will all do. If that is the case then why should we even worry about God at all as far as I can tell from reading the Bible sinners do not make it to heaven, unless I guess God decides to forgive them, seeing how I do not have the mind of God I do not know that he will forgive me so that is very depressing!

You seem to be very misinformed about sin and sinners. God wants to forgive, not condemn....but we have to give him something to bless. Failure is what we all face at times....we all sin, but we have the assurance of God's forgiveness. When a person suffers with OCD, the obsessive compulsions make no sense to anyone, not even to the person experiencing them. God knows the difference between wickedness and the weaknesses cause by our imperfections. He is not an ogre, but a loving God who does not want to condemn anyone.

I have asked him 12 times I don't think he likes me very much I guess that's why I'm trying to do better? not to be saved but because it's the right thing to do

If you are trying your best, then what more can God ask of anyone? My best may not be your best....your best may not be someone else's. We are all judged individually.

now I wonder if I just am not trying hard enough, hmmm, as of this moment trying harder would entail doing things against all thought or reason, which could possibly have the end result of going to the nut hut?

That is an interesting admission....."doing things against all thought or reason, which could possibly have the end result of going to the nut hut?"
Why does obeying the laws of God require you to do things against your reason?

Well I must admit the book definitely talks about surrender, what do you suppose I am supposed to surrender

You are supposed to surrender your will to God's. People of good moral character can do that with very little effort....but those who cannot control their own will, would find it almost impossible. That is what makes me think you have OCD. You aren't wicked...you are at the mercy of a medical condition if that's the case.

as you can see by my name title alone, I do not have interaction with very many people however when I do interact I am very reserved and do anything within my capability to not offend if possible of course in this life anything said can be turned and twisted so that is very difficult to do which is why I keep to myself most of the time.

Solitude is good sometimes, but too much allows one to become too absorbed in one's own thoughts.
The fact that you feel a responsibility not to offend anyone shows you at least have good intentions.

it's kind of weird I didn't grow up in church and stuff although I've been around people that go to church or whatever and people that have talked about God and so on just never really thought about it much, so when I started reading I kind of had this preconceived notion of what I was going to hear, however it didn't say what I thought it was going to say.

I believe that the majority of people who are educated by those in Christendom, have a complete misconception of God.

I must admit at this point I'm stumped. I don't really have any desire to live any longer however I don't have the desire to kill myself either and if there is no God then life seems meaningless maybe that's what I'm trying to find purpose maybe there is no purpose I think I'm going to start a new post LOL

And its a good one...we all need to find purpose to our being in order to satisfy that need in us...the one that wants to make our life count for something...even if its just being a good friend or a wise parent, passing along accumulated knowledge to our children. We don't have to be rich or famous to make our lives count for something.

I don't like being faced with the fact of not believing, especially when that means eternal fire.

There is no eternal fire.....God has no intention of roasting people alive...why would he?

What are your thoughts after reading this? Again, sorry its so long....

Alone

Banned by request
I have just gone through your thread on here and if I may, I'd like to comment on these points....sorry its so long but I wanted to condense your thoughts into one post.

So it appears that you need a better definition of "perfect" and "holy", if an imperfect human is to imitate God.
The Greek words rendered “holy” (haʹgi·os) and “holiness” (ha·gi·a·smosʹ ha·gi·oʹtes; ha·gi·o·syʹne) denote separation to God; they also are used to refer to holiness as a quality of God and to purity or perfection in one’s personal conduct, as in abiding by God's moral laws.

This is telling me something about your ability to control yourself and your actions. Its as if your mind and body are under separate commanders. This, to all intents and purposes, may very well be an OCD issue. Your mind simply cannot control your actions. Has anyone ever suggested this to you? Do you have compulsions at times that are impossible for you to avoid happening?

Affirmation, both positive and negative, can influence our actions.
If you tell yourself you "can't" do something then you probably won't.

Jesus was perfect. There is an example. Imitate him and you can't go wrong....but none of us can do so perfectly.

Jesus taught us to "keep asking...keep seeking...keep knocking" and the door will be opened to us. (Luke 11:9)
Our behavior determines whether that door will open.

@dybmh asked...."Does your lack of belief in free-will effect your behavior? Are you less likely to take responsibility for hurting peoples feelings or do you lack impulse control?

Though not addressed to you personally, I believe that this is pertinent. Do you think you lack impulse control?
That is a medically recognized condition. Understanding it could help you deal with it in a more effective way than just being constantly disappointed in yourself.....how frustrating!

Without free will, the command in the Garden of Eden concerning the eating of the forbidden fruit would have been meaningless....the penalty also would have been meaningless....it was about choices and consequences....it still is. God predestines very little. He is more concerned with reacting to our use of free will.

The Bible gives us the incentive.....hate what God hates. If you don't hate it, you will be more inclined to do it.
But OCD does not allow you that choice.....you will do what you hate and lament the fact that you did it. It means a constant beating up on yourself.....that is what your life sounds like. I have a dear friend who suffers with this and its a daily struggle. I think I understand what you mean.

To ease your mind...there is no fiery furnace. "Hellfire" was an invention of the Catholic Church to scare their flocks into submission. It is not taught in the Bible at all....but you will find it in many pagan religions.

You seem to be very misinformed about sin and sinners. God wants to forgive, not condemn....but we have to give him something to bless. Failure is what we all face at times....we all sin, but we have the assurance of God's forgiveness. When a person suffers with OCD, the obsessive compulsions make no sense to anyone, not even to the person experiencing them. God knows the difference between wickedness and the weaknesses cause by our imperfections. He is not an ogre, but a loving God who does not want to condemn anyone.

If you are trying your best, then what more can God ask of anyone? My best may not be your best....your best may not be someone else's. We are all judged individually.

That is an interesting admission....."doing things against all thought or reason, which could possibly have the end result of going to the nut hut?"
Why does obeying the laws of God require you to do things against your reason?

You are supposed to surrender your will to God's. People of good moral character can do that with very little effort....but those who cannot control their own will, would find it almost impossible. That is what makes me think you have OCD. You aren't wicked...you are at the mercy of a medical condition if that's the case.

Solitude is good sometimes, but too much allows one to become too absorbed in one's own thoughts.
The fact that you feel a responsibility not to offend anyone shows you at least have good intentions.

I believe that the majority of people who are educated by those in Christendom, have a complete misconception of God.

And its a good one...we all need to find purpose to our being in order to satisfy that need in us...the one that wants to make our life count for something...even if its just being a good friend or a wise parent, passing along accumulated knowledge to our children. We don't have to be rich or famous to make our lives count for something.

There is no eternal fire.....God has no intention of roasting people alive...why would he?

What are your thoughts after reading this? Again, sorry its so long....
Well..... If you are accurate and I have a medical problem so to speak, if it cannot be fixed without taking drugs then I really wouldn't know what to say?
Other than that your comments seem to have insight and some hints of encouragement which is appreciated. I would like 2 no also why you think there is no hell, the Bible that I read clearly says that there is?

Alone

Banned by request
LOL, it's starting to appear as though my purpose may be that I am supposed to be disappointed in myself? Wow this is really a crazy conversation!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Well..... If you are accurate and I have a medical problem so to speak, if it cannot be fixed without taking drugs then I really wouldn't know what to say?

Have you never considered the possibility that your problem could have a medical explanation? When you see others in control of their lives, but it is something you cannot do....you have to know that you are not wicked. OCD is a serious condition for many because it controls their whole life. It comes in many manifestations, from obsession with germs, a dread of stepping on cracks in the pavement, to strong impulses to kill yourself.

Learning about it can at least explain why you have no self-control. It will allow you to stop beating up on yourself.

Other than that your comments seem to have insight and some hints of encouragement which is appreciated.

I was hoping to help you lighten up on yourself.

I would like 2 no also why you think there is no hell, the Bible that I read clearly says that there is?

Jesus spoke of “Gehenna” which is s translated “hell” in many Bible translations. To his Jewish audience, he was referring to the Valley of Hinnom just outside the city of Jerusalem. It was the city’s garbage dump where the carcasses of dead animals and often the bodies of executed criminals were thrown for disposal. Fires were kept burning day and night to consume the refuse by adding brimstone (sulfur). What the flames missed, the maggots finished off. Jesus was referring to Isaiah 66:24. Jews have no hellfire.

In Jewish thought, if a person had no memorial tomb with name and family lineage inscribed on it, then these ones were thought to have no hope for a resurrection. It was tantamount to God forgetting that they had ever lived. It was a symbol of everlasting death. No one in Gehenna would ever live again.....that is where Jesus consigned the Pharisees.

Nothing alive was ever cast there.

Matthew 10:28...
“And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Ge·henʹna.”

You see....the soul (the person) is destroyed in Gehenna.....not tortured.

Gehenna — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Alone

Banned by request
So I'm not sure I understand you 100% here, if you are saying that there is no hell, then what do I need to be saved for? Or from?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
So I'm not sure I understand you 100% here, if you are saying that there is no hell, then what do I need to be saved for? Or from?

The most important question is...”what are you being saved from?”

When the judgment comes, Jesus separates people into only two categories.....”sheep and goats”.
The sheep inherit “everlasting life”....the goats inherit “everlasting punishment” which is everlasting death.....not eternal torture.

There is no part of man that goes on living after death. The doctrine of an ‘immortal soul’ was adopted from Greek paganism...it is not taught in scripture. The ancient Jews believed that when you died, you slept in your grave in an unconscious state awaiting a promised resurrection, which is not going to heaven for the majority of humankind, but a restoration of life right here on a cleansed Earth returned to paradise conditions, as God purposed in the beginning. (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10; John 5:28-29)

We are saved from God’s anger when he finally judges the world by the one he appointed...Jesus Christ.

Jesus will the take his ‘chosen ones’ to heaven to assist him in the administration of his Kingdom, and once God has removed all causes of wickedness, we can return to the life that he meant for us in the beginning. (Revelation 20:6; Revelation 21:2-4)

The Kingdom that Jesus taught us to pray for is a government of God that will rule over earthly subjects, bringing them back to paradise. The life we live in this world is getting worse by the day.....this is not what God intended for humankind.....we thought that we could rule ourselves without him....God has allowed us to prove that we can’t.

God’s Kingdom will come...but not the way those in Christendom imagine...(Daniel 2:44) The world is about to be held to account along with its evil ruler. (1 John 5:19) The Bible tells us what to expect.....

Last edited: