• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding excuses to hate Muslims?

The thing I don't get is when a Muslim poster here explains a positive interpretation of Islamic doctrine and lots of anti-Muslims immediately start to tell them they are wrong and should be interpreting it violently or oppressively.

There seems to be some tacit belief that violent Muslims follow 'true' Islam and the moderates are somehow 'less Muslim' for interpreting verses positively.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
It's okay, Top Hat. This is a limitation of us humans. We sometimes think what we know is the ultimate judge and we impose it on others sometimes. We sometimes think what we know is every thing out there and we are perfect that what we think is the only. This is due to our nature and faculties really. All we have to do is have some understanding and not get ahead of ourselves, and this is something we humans have different factors to stand in its way and we subconsciously allow it.

Give them a break. It is not their fault that all they see is what they only want to see, or because it is what's available around them. I know this is not smart by definition, but again it's not entirely their (and generally our) fault. Just yesterday someone asked me if Islam forbids cutting hair, as they read in an article, and it would be a problem to those with hair problems. I was there to be asked about it. What if I wasn't? Maybe then no one would have given the right answer to fix it. There was another Muslim around, but you get my point. Same thing with lying. Many wrongfully think lying in Islam is okay to spread Islam or for similar motives.

It's okay man. Give them a break :)

I frequently "bash" Islam.

Isn't this against the rules?

;)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
The thing I don't get is when a Muslim poster here explains a positive interpretation of Islamic doctrine and lots of anti-Muslims immediately start to tell them they are wrong and should be interpreting it violently or oppressively.

There seems to be some tacit belief that violent Muslims follow 'true' Islam and the moderates are somehow 'less Muslim' for interpreting verses positively.

For some reason this gives me the impression those anti-Muslims hold bigoted understandings. They should at least expect the possibility of the other way around instead of completely negating it, let alone them imposing it on others.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not a Muslim and I disagree with some things. It's true, it is not justification for despising over a billion people and it is especially ignorant to think all Muslims believe in the exact same thing all of them follow the Quran exactly the way it was written.
I guess I shouldn't assume too much about what you mean by "despising", but it is really all but impossible to avoid disapproving of the ideologies of billions of people with the current population levels.

As for ignorance... you are aware that Islam specifically teaches of the importance of following the Quran faithfully and of how God himself assures them that it is inerrant and unchanging, right?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That does happen. But it is also at least conceivable that sometimes what appears superficially to be a positive interpretation will be perceived (fairly or otherwise) as grasping at straws to attempt to deny a doctrinary flaw.

I guess we all have to make our own minds about which is which.

Theweirdtophat

I guess I shouldn't assume too much about what you mean by "despising", but it is really all but impossible to avoid disapproving of the ideologies of billions of people with the current population levels.

As for ignorance... you are aware that Islam specifically teaches of the importance of following the Quran faithfully and of how God himself assures them that it is inerrant and unchanging, right?

How is that any different than the New or Old testament where God's laws are supposed to be followed through the letter? And if it really was unchanging, why are there different branches of Islam? Shouldn't there just be Islam? Like with the Baha'i Faith which doesn't have branches.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
As I understand it, there are at least two things upon which all Muslims agree:

- The Quran is the perfect, timeless, unalterable word of Allah.
- Muhammad was Allah's messenger, and he should be considered the perfect role model.

Does anyone disagree with those two ideas?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How is that any different than the New or Old testament where God's laws are supposed to be followed through the letter?

For one thing, there are currently whole nations claiming to aim to use the letter of the Quran as its infallible guide to virtue, while similar Christian examples basically do not exist.

And if it really was unchanging, why are there different branches of Islam?

Because interpretation is unavoidable, and every group has found ways of convincing itself that it has got it right.

But that is not as significant as that they often (usually?) feel strongly enough about those differences of interpretation to actually avoid looking each other eye to eye, to the point of establishing separate countries and even engaging in armed internal conflict due to those differences.

Shouldn't there just be Islam? Like with the Baha'i Faith which doesn't have branches.

That is not as safe an assumption as you might think, either. The Bahai Faith has had internal subdivisions and it is something of a worry that those do not have more of a voice.

GoodbyeDave

As I understand it, there are at least two things upon which all Muslims agree:
- The Quran is the perfect, timeless, unalterable word of Allah.
- Muhammad was Allah's messenger, and he should be considered the perfect role model.
That seems fair enough. Since I see the Quran as a pack of lies and Muhammad as a deluded warlord, I can hardly fail to despise any one who holds those views. How many incidents like this does it take to persuade people that Islam is dangerous?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...sting-on-Facebook-of-love-for-Christians.html

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Of course Islam is dangerous.

Anything that promises certainty and expects bold action and/or sacrifice is by definition dangerous, at least if it is used without enough care and wisdom.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You must admit there are very clear reasons people react the way they do toward Muslims. It may not be entirely right, but it's understandable givin the reported carnage, destruction, and death made in the name of Islam these days.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems we can't go a generation without picking on some group to hate.

Islam and Muslims = the new Communism and Communists!

Sad.

Servant_of_the_One1

The bloody history of Europeans(genocides) is worrying. Anti-Muslim feelings are more greater than anti-jewish feelings in the 30's. Only one crazy guy is needed in Germany and the camps will be open soon, this time for Muslims. I doubt the 30.000 German Jews will be spared though

Theweirdtophat

That's the thing I noticed, whenever a good Muslim shows up the basher will claim they are not "true" Muslims because only true Muslims go out and hurt others, or they might say the Muslim is only pretending to be nice so they can backstab you later on.

Is there no pleasing these people? It's like they want Muslims to be violent so they can find a reason to hate them. I don't get it. And who are they to say which Muslims are "true" and which ones are not?

Lots of religions will do thatw where they claim they are true and all others are false, but who can say what makes a true Muslim? If a Sunni disagrees with a Sufi and says they are not true Muslims, that isn't accurate. Other branches aren't considered "false" they are just another way of looking at the Muslim faith. Or you get some of the dangerous fanatical Muslims that claim they are the true ones, but seriously is anyone going to listen to those lunatics?

Some people get this in their head that when they see a Muslim do violent things and say they are true, they come to the conclusion that a true Muslim is supposed to be violent and that the ones that aren't are secretive and supporting the bad guys and will backstab you later on. Even when you see Muslims not only go against terrorism but actually fight it, you STILL people insist that only a true Muslim is defined by being violent and converting every single person they see, even though Most Muslims in general don't do that anyway.

Theweirdtophat

That seems fair enough. Since I see the Quran as a pack of lies and Muhammad as a deluded warlord, I can hardly fail to despise any one who holds those views. How many incidents like this does it take to persuade people that Islam is dangerous?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...sting-on-Facebook-of-love-for-Christians.html

Is;am is an idea and fanatics are dangerous anyways no matter what faith they practice.

It also helps to read the history behind the Quran as opposed to just reading the Quran. You see horrible Muslims over and over and just assume everyone must believe in the exact same thing which is beyond ignorant. If what you said was even remotely true, how come the Muslims I have been around never once tried to convert me?

You cannot destroy Islam because Islam is an idea. It's out there and it's up to the individual. To either embrace peaceful ideas or to become fanatical and constantly justify horrible things. I guess all those Muslims fighting and dying trying to defeat the terrorists never happened right? Or did you miss that part?

I guess you also happen to miss all the good parts in the Quran and that both the quran and bible have said good and bad things

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I don't generally do that, but I have no issue with pointing out that a given interpretation is a minority view.

idav

Being
Premium Member

There may be some truth to that. I tend to think a ruthless, not humorous Calvinistic type God makes sense when reading the God of the quaran or Old Testament.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Anything that promises certainty and expects bold action and/or sacrifice is by definition dangerous,
What about love? That entails sacrifice and promises certainty. As a matter of fact the more willing you are to sacrifice for love the more love is certain. What if you were watching a romantic comedy and the guy in the movie just said, "I can't ask her out, it's too dangerous." Well that movie would suck.