• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding excuses to hate Muslims?

Theweirdtophat

This is what I seriously don't get. I feel like some people are trying to justify hating Muslims As if that makes sense because you can't justify hatred anyway. People do everything from looking at the news, to pointing out verses in the Quran or looking at history as what some terrible Muslims did

First off, those verses were written quite a long time ago, some are taken out of context or not followed the same way and were written by multiple people anyway and the news is not justification because those terrorists make up less than 1% of all Muslims and not all Muslims believe in the same thing.

Another thing is they keep thinking all Muslims are the same because they read the Quran. What sense does that make? That's like saying all Christians are the same because they read the Bible. There's different version and some Christian interpret verses differently. Otherwise there probably wouldn't be multiple branches within Islam

People will look at history but the terrible Muslims that did that are no longer around and that harming the descendants doesn't make sense. Don't punish the descendants for what the ancestors did

And I guess Muslims don't say anything bad about terrorists...except that they do and some are actually fighting against them overseas but I guess that doesn't count right? I mean, I feel like I entered into a topsy turvey dimension here. What happened here? Do people not see what's in front of them or realize there are good Muslims as well as bad?

Every time I do realize there are good Muslims, I'm labeled as a "pro Muslim supporter" and they act as if just because I know there are good Muslims, that must mean I love everything in the Quran and love every Muslim, even the bad ones. For one thing, even though I'm not a Muslim and I am a Druid, and even though there are some things in the Quran I disagree with, I can actually see good things in it and I can see the good Muslims, unlike the others who seem to just watch the news and read two pages of the Quran and come to the conclusion that every Muslim is bad and is a terrorist and that the good Muslims but not only say that the Muslim terrorists are bad, but I guess they want the good Muslims to do something about it, as if they expect every Muslim to drop what they are doing, leave their families and defeat the terrorists.

And these bashers will claim they don't hate Muslims and that they hate the idea of Islam, even though they show distrust and dislike of Muslims...and whenever one bad Muslim does something they just say "Well that's the Muslim way," even after saying that they didn't hate every Muslim. What kind logic is this? Anyone notice this?

I'm just sick and tired of all this bashing because these people choose to revel in their ignorance instead of actually getting some experience and getting to know good Muslims, like I have.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just sick and tired of all this bashing because these people choose to revel in their ignorance instead of actually getting some experience and getting to know good Muslims, like I have.

Regardless of my personal thoughts about Islam or any other religion, it's a strange conceit to think a group of literally billions can be reduced to a single stereotype.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have seen a report that included three men of faith ....stand to the podium and describe Islam.....

one fellow in black....."Islam is not a faith of peace." (opening line)

he was booed and jeered immediately.

the other two guys....not so bad.
stereo-types?
the first guy wore a white tunic.....disciplined and stoic
the guy in black tunic....radical
the guy in street jacket and pants......everyday dude

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is in the nature of people to seek justifications to categorize others into those who deserve trust and those who do not.

Honestly, it is a major conquest to avoid doing so at all often without being plagued by uncertainty.

That said, I feel that it is only fair to remember that Muslims do share a degree of beliefs and ideology, at least nominally. In that sense it is more like a nationality than a ethnic group or even Christianity. It is not a given that they will show diversity of stances comparable to that of other groups.

Theweirdtophat

I see that a lot. The ones that claim to bash the religion but not the adherents even though in reality, they don't like the adherents of the religion either. Or they act like it anyway.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that's an important distinction to make. Unfortunately, I think many people (not you, though) fail to make that distinction.

*shrugs*

The problem exists regardless. One of the problems we have with the discussion on Islam in the West (and I'm generalizing here) is that it lacks nuance. For example, we wouldn't criticize a JW for Trinitarianism, but we would for their unwillingness to use blood products. Even that simplistic level of sophistication is commonly missing when we deal with Islam.
Further, I'd readily bash Muslims where those Muslims hold a common belief. Muslims who believe in punitive punishment for apostasy, for example, deserve bashing (proverbially, I mean). Islam itself either does or doesn't support some punishments, depending on the school of thought being followed.

I just think the lack of nuance in most of our discussions on Islam is marked. Which doesn't mean there are substantial issues to discuss.

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
Lets smoke those A-rab terrorists out of their hidey holes...wait that didn't work. Well I guess a better option is Racial Profiling, spying, and harassing them. Wait that's treating them just like others in the US.

Thana

Lady
I think that's an important distinction to make. Unfortunately, I think many people (not you, though) fail to make that distinction.

Because in reality, there is rarely if ever an actual distinction.
And you can't really say 'killing people for apostasy is evil' without also inferring that the people who practice/believe it are evil.

There's really no need to sugar coat it, imo.

Sees

Dragonslayer
For people prone to hating other people, they usually create/identify enemies...if they are in the West, wouldn't Muslims make more sense than say Eskimos, Aborigines, the Zulu, etc.? All don't have to be seen as bad/evil/dangerous - just enough of them perceptibly more often than most other groups. They become the out-group that is strongly disliked.

With Muslims in particular it has been an on-going feud of sorts with Westerners (and others) since initial contact during Islamic expansion. I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I see that a lot. The ones that claim to bash the religion but not the adherents even though in reality, they don't like the adherents of the religion either. Or they act like it anyway.

Oh well then, you're not addressing me. ;)

(Because if you were, you'd be guilty of multiple strawmen arguments.)

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think you have to me quite ignorant if you cannot see why people are hating this belief system, I'm not saying they deserve it, but its easy to see why.

icehorse

Premium Member
Because in reality, there is rarely if ever an actual distinction.
And you can't really say 'killing people for apostasy is evil' without also inferring that the people who practice/believe it are evil.

There's really no need to sugar coat it, imo.

But as we know, the folks who do that sort of thing are a tiny, tiny minority.

Theweirdtophat

I think you have to me quite ignorant if you cannot see why people are hating this belief system, I'm not saying they deserve it, but its easy to see why.

I'm not a Muslim and I disagree with some things. It's true, it is not justification for despising over a billion people and it is especially ignorant to think all Muslims believe in the exact same thing all of them follow the Quran exactly the way it was written.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Y
I'm not a Muslim and I disagree with some things. It's true, it is not justification for despising over a billion people and it is especially ignorant to think all Muslims believe in the exact same thing all of them follow the Quran exactly the way it was written.
Yes I agree, I think though when any religion teaches the belief that their religion is the chosen by God, and all other religions are wrong, this can be a breeding ground for hate, and as dangerous as their culture and laws allows.

Yoshua

This is what I seriously don't get. I feel like some people are trying to justify hating Muslims As if that makes sense because you can't justify hatred anyway. People do everything from looking at the news, to pointing out verses in the Quran or looking at history as what some terrible Muslims did

First off, those verses were written quite a long time ago, some are taken out of context or not followed the same way and were written by multiple people anyway and the news is not justification because those terrorists make up less than 1% of all Muslims and not all Muslims believe in the same thing.

Another thing is they keep thinking all Muslims are the same because they read the Quran. What sense does that make? That's like saying all Christians are the same because they read the Bible. There's different version and some Christian interpret verses differently. Otherwise there probably wouldn't be multiple branches within Islam

People will look at history but the terrible Muslims that did that are no longer around and that harming the descendants doesn't make sense. Don't punish the descendants for what the ancestors did

And I guess Muslims don't say anything bad about terrorists...except that they do and some are actually fighting against them overseas but I guess that doesn't count right? I mean, I feel like I entered into a topsy turvey dimension here. What happened here? Do people not see what's in front of them or realize there are good Muslims as well as bad?

Every time I do realize there are good Muslims, I'm labeled as a "pro Muslim supporter" and they act as if just because I know there are good Muslims, that must mean I love everything in the Quran and love every Muslim, even the bad ones. For one thing, even though I'm not a Muslim and I am a Druid, and even though there are some things in the Quran I disagree with, I can actually see good things in it and I can see the good Muslims, unlike the others who seem to just watch the news and read two pages of the Quran and come to the conclusion that every Muslim is bad and is a terrorist and that the good Muslims but not only say that the Muslim terrorists are bad, but I guess they want the good Muslims to do something about it, as if they expect every Muslim to drop what they are doing, leave their families and defeat the terrorists.

And these bashers will claim they don't hate Muslims and that they hate the idea of Islam, even though they show distrust and dislike of Muslims...and whenever one bad Muslim does something they just say "Well that's the Muslim way," even after saying that they didn't hate every Muslim. What kind logic is this? Anyone notice this?

Hi Theweird,

Whether they are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish etc.. I don't think hating other beliefs is right but it should be hating the evil works for God also hates wickedness.

Thanks

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Theweird,

Whether they are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish etc.. I don't think hating other beliefs is right but it should be hating the evil works for God also hates wickedness.

Thanks

Substitute on : Christian
Substiture off : Muslim

:shrug:

icehorse

Premium Member

Your use of the word "despise" is interesting. Did you know that in the Quran, more than 500 times, non-believers are described as people who Muslims should despise? I applaud Muslims who can read that and do the cherry picking necessary to think well of their non-believing fellows. But the scripture sure doesn't make such open mindedness easy.