• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite cheese?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
You need to get authentic Greek feta. There is a kind of ghastly tasteless version made in Denmark, which they are no longer allowed to call feta under EU regulations, and which I avoid like the plague. But you are in Oz, where EU appelation rules won't apply, so God knows where your "feta" comes from.

Now, the stuff I really do find tasteless is that Greek cheese that people barbecue, Halloumi. I refer to that as "diesel cheese" as, almost every time I've been given it, the firelighters used to light the barbecue give it a faint taste of diesel fuel, the smell of which I know well from my time working on an oil refinery. Not my favourite.

I've seen both Greek and Danish here but the wife (who loves feta) told me never to buy the Danish one again. Whether the Greek stuff we can buy here is authentic, I don't know. I'm going shopping this morning and I'll try and remember to find out the country of origin. Unfortunately I will never be able to get past the texture thing with feta.

I forgot about halloumi, I'm not a fan of it either, again it's the texture thing, it makes my teeth squeak when I bite it. Every now and then I get some to have one more go because my daughter is always telling me how good it is.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've seen both Greek and Danish here but the wife (who loves feta) told me never to buy the Danish one again. Whether the Greek stuff we can buy here is authentic, I don't know. I'm going shopping this morning and I'll try and remember to find out the country of origin. Unfortunately I will never be able to get past the texture thing with feta.

I forgot about halloumi, I'm not a fan of it either, again it's the texture thing, it makes my teeth squeak when I bite it. Every now and then I get some to have one more go because my daughter is always telling me how good it is.
YES! It does squeak on the teeth.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I also forgot cheese in a can, it rates worse than feta. It's an abomination.

That American favourite, spray on cherse

Euk

kraft-spray-easy-cheese-cheddar-044000045517-32124619817123.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
I also forgot cheese in a can, it rates worse than feta. It's an abomination.
Haha yes, what my brother and his friends, when they were in the cadet corps at school, used to call "possessed cheese", a corruption of "processed cheese". They used to put cans of it in the fire when they went on camping trips and wait for it to blow up, sending incandescently hot strings of melted, burnt, liquified cheese in all directions, like napalm.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Haha yes, what my brother and his friends, when they were in the cadet corps at school, used to call "possessed cheese", a corruption of "processed cheese". They used to put cans of it in the fire when they went on camping trips and wait for it to blow up, sending incandescently hot strings of melted, burnt, liquified cheese in all directions, like napalm.
Sounds like fun.