• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite cheese?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So this might be a bit random lol
But recently I’ve been exploring some cheese options. The Bega (a popular brand here) cheddar was getting boring.
I’m interested in your favourite types of cheese and favoured ways to eat them.
Swiss, I dunno Italian? Whatever. Have them on crackers or in a burrito or anything you like

Like I’m currently really into Gouda and Monterey Jack for a good grilled cheese sandwich.
My Aunty in New Zealand introduced me to Havarti on biscuits/crackers. Ours isn’t as good as theirs, unfortunately but it’s still a current fave.
Double Brie for a soft melty cheesy cheese has been another recent fave.

What about you guys?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My favorite all around cheese is a Tillamook cheddar. Tillamook is a local brand. It is better quality than the various big brands. It is a true workhorse. Otherwise it depends upon usage. For Italian food Parmigiano Reggiano is a must. but I can appreciate the cheeses that you mentioned. During the holidays I love a Huntsman cheese. It is a sandwiched cheese with altering layers of double Gloucester and Stilton. One year I found a five year aged Gouda that was simply amazing It was he first "crunchy cheese" that I ever ate. A cheese aged a long time begins to form crystals of some super concentrated cheese flavor. When they beak the release an explosion of cheese flavor in your mouth. One has to experience it to understand it.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My favorite all around cheese is a Tillamook cheddar. Tillamook is a local brand. It is better quality than the various big brands. It is a true workhorse. Otherwise it depends upon usage. For Italian food Parmigiano Reggiano is a must. but I can appreciate the cheeses that you mentioned. During the holidays I love a Huntsman cheese. It is a sandwiched cheese with altering layers of double Gloucester and Stilton. One year I found a five year aged Gouda that was simply amazing It was he first "crunchy cheese" that I ever ate. A cheese aged a long time begins to form crystals of some super concentrated cheese flavor. When they beak the release an explosion of cheese flavor in your mouth. One has to experience it to understand it.
Interesting

I’m super curious to try an aged cheese now. That sounds amazing!!!
I’ve always been hesitant just because the concept weirds me out a bit. But like I get it. Aged cheese would be similar to aged wine, right? As in the aging process just makes it taste better

The Huntsman cheese sounds interesting.
I don’t know if I’ve seen that here. I’ve seen a three layered cheese but it was called something different (regional difference maybe or just a different cheese idk??)
It’s probably sold in a more niche store, can’t say for sure though.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Like wines, I could never have a favourite, but I tend to buy these more than others I might be tempted with - Jarlsberg, Emmental, Gruyère, Stilton, Brie, Mature Cheddar, Cheshire, etc., and given we do seem to have such a variety to choose from - or did. :oops:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If you can find a gorgonzola piccante (or gorgonzola dolce for beginners and wimps), get yourself some nice pears and enjoy. A good British Stilton is also smashing with pears (I once made some caramelized port pears, and served them warm with a stilton cream -- fabulous fall dessert!)

Of course, you can't cook Italian without a Parmigiana Reggiano

(By the way, for Italian cheeses, always look that they were made in Italy and are marked "DOP" meaning Protected Designation of Origin).

A really good aged white cheddar will develop nice crunchy bits, which are calcium lactate crystals. These are perfectly safe, and add a real delight to an excellent cheese. Just some nice crackers, maybe apple slices and cheddar on top -- perfect snacking.

For those who like cheese on their burgers, I really recommend a hard-paste nutty cheese like Comte, or its cousin Beaufort. These will really raise your smash burger to a whole new level. (And smash burgers are already a whole new level above a boring old 5-6 ounce bunwich.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Interesting

I’m super curious to try an aged cheese now. That sounds amazing!!!
I’ve always been hesitant just because the concept weirds me out a bit. But like I get it. Aged cheese would be similar to aged wine, right? As in the aging process just makes it taste better

The Huntsman cheese sounds interesting.
I don’t know if I’ve seen that here. I’ve seen a three layered cheese but it was called something different (regional difference maybe or just a different cheese idk??)
It’s probably sold in a more niche store, can’t say for sure though.
It seems to be an English invention. I am in the US, and I have only seen it at Trader Joe's here, but Amazon has four different versions. None of them were the brand that Trader Joe's carries:

1687208438320.png

The five year Gouda was from another store. If you can find a higher end cheese shop they should have some cheese that has been aged a long time. There are online sources for it. From fifteen bucks a pound and up. I saw that the crystals are salt crystals. Which seems reasonable.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I like most cheeses, but I go through phases of which is my favorite. I'm currently on a muenster cheese kick, but I do like a good smoked provolone.

Paneer cheese is awesome. Not only because of the flavor, but you can cook it with hot dishes and it doesn't melt.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I like most cheeses, but I go through phases of which is my favorite. I'm currently on a muenster cheese kick, but I do like a good smoked provolone.

Paneer cheese is awesome. Not only because of the flavor, but you can cook it with hot dishes and it doesn't melt.
I made a truckload of mattar paneer for Father's Day for my husband yesterday. Paneer is pretty awesome.
I've never tried it. Is it similar to any other cheese?
Its a soft cheese; strong, but not pungent. In my opinion.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I made a truckload of mattar paneer for Father's Day for my husband yesterday. Paneer is pretty awesome.
Have you made or tried kadhai paneer? That's my favorite paneer dish. Paneer tikka masala and saag paneer are practically tied for second.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Does Tillamook still do the tours? I used to love those.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Irish white cheddar.
Aged Gouda (as opposed to smoked Gouda).
Triple cream Brie
Mt Tam cheese from Cowgirl Creamery

To name a few…