• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite cheese?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It all depends on what we are having it with...

Goats cheese
Roquefort blue
Brie
Comté
Emmenthal
Mozzarella
Ricotta
Parmesan

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So this might be a bit random lol
But recently I’ve been exploring some cheese options. The Bega (a popular brand here) cheddar was getting boring.
I’m interested in your favourite types of cheese and favoured ways to eat them.
Swiss, I dunno Italian? Whatever. Have them on crackers or in a burrito or anything you like

Like I’m currently really into Gouda and Monterey Jack for a good grilled cheese sandwich.
My Aunty in New Zealand introduced me to Havarti on biscuits/crackers. Ours isn’t as good as theirs, unfortunately but it’s still a current fave.
Double Brie for a soft melty cheesy cheese has been another recent fave.

What about you guys?

I usually stick with cheddar because it is more available and cheaper but yes boring.
I do prefer an Irish cheese called Dubliner though.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Medium cheddar
  • Monterey jack
  • Colby
  • Mozzarella

I love cheese. One of my favorite bare-bones meals is a block of cheese and a bottle of vegetable juice.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'll have to try some. I like strong cheeses.

Depends how old it is, it changes as it ages. I prefer it fresh, outside soft but set inside runny. As it gets older it sets to become the same consistency throughout.

It's tangy and tart, even gamey compared to cows cheese it gets more tangy as it ages.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Side note. Just outside our village is a guy with half a dozen goats. He hangs a blue towel on his gate when he's made a batch of cheese and it's ready to eat... You can't get fresher goats cheese

exchemist

Veteran Member
So this might be a bit random lol
But recently I’ve been exploring some cheese options. The Bega (a popular brand here) cheddar was getting boring.
I’m interested in your favourite types of cheese and favoured ways to eat them.
Swiss, I dunno Italian? Whatever. Have them on crackers or in a burrito or anything you like

Like I’m currently really into Gouda and Monterey Jack for a good grilled cheese sandwich.
My Aunty in New Zealand introduced me to Havarti on biscuits/crackers. Ours isn’t as good as theirs, unfortunately but it’s still a current fave.
Double Brie for a soft melty cheesy cheese has been another recent fave.

What about you guys?
Probably Gorgonzola Dolce. But a ripe Langres runs it close, as does Roquefort, or even Stilton.....in fact it's very hard to choose......

exchemist

Veteran Member
It seems to be an English invention. I am in the US, and I have only seen it at Trader Joe's here, but Amazon has four different versions. None of them were the brand that Trader Joe's carries:

View attachment 78794

The five year Gouda was from another store. If you can find a higher end cheese shop they should have some cheese that has been aged a long time. There are online sources for it. From fifteen bucks a pound and up. I saw that the crystals are salt crystals. Which seems reasonable.
There are also Oud Amsterdam and Mimolette, if you like well-aged "pate cuite*" cheeses. They can get quite granular.

* My wife taught me that cheese in France is classified into 2 basic styles, pate molle (the soft ones with an edible rind - Camembert and Brie being classic examples) and pate cuite (hard with a rind you cut off, often suitable for grating, cooking etc ). But blue cheeses seem to lie outside these classifications and I'm not sure where one puts the goat cheeses.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I suggest in a salad with walnut and fig
Forget the fig, but add spinach [uncooked], tomatoes, garbanzo beans, olive oil, and a good healthy dash of balsamic vinegar. :yum:

And btw, the goat cheese I buy is from France, and you may know where that is. ;)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Forget the fig, but add spinach [uncooked], tomatoes, garbanzo beans, olive oil, and a good healthy dash of balsamic vinegar. :yum:

And btw, the goat cheese I buy is from France, and you may know where that is. ;)

If you want, and I'll try it but i do like goats cheese with fig, the sweet and tart make a great combination.

I'd use a balsamic dressing of equal parts balsamic and honey and 1/2 part if mustard