• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence of NOAH's FLOOD

ChieftheCef

Weedian Magnus
I'da thunk you smart enough not to
write something ambiguous.

Those mutually denigratory commentaries aside, the usefulness of symbolic writings is a dubious affair, like any other free for all.

I think Bible study is a pointless bore
You're hurt, why? Enough to offend someone else. Don't you know the way to wellbeing is to be resilient and tested by Time?

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
You're hurt, why? Enough to offend someone else. Don't you know the way to wellbeing is to be resilient and tested by Time?
I know I've been tested far beyond
anything you are remotely likely to
have experienced

As for the rest of what you said -
a humorous put down or one
earned and deserved is all well
played.

Making something up though, that's just
pathetic.

gnostic

The Lost One
Sure. There is some evidence for the Black Sea flooding, though it is contested. Nobody says large scale floods never occur. In fact, the putative flooding of the Black Sea is one tentative hypothesis for where the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible both got their stories from. But that would be a localised, if large, flood event, not the global event absurdly proposed by some YECs.

This article shows both sides of the story: Black Sea deluge hypothesis - Wikipedia

Another hypothesis is that the Persian Gulf would have progressively flooded as the sea level rose after the last ice age, gradually displacing people from the river that we now call Shatt-Al-Arab, i.e. the merged river formed by the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates, and this traumatic event became embedded in folklore, leading to a Middle Eastern flood story.

except for one thing.

The hero of the deluge, Utnapishtim from the Epic of Gilgamesh, is based on the older Akkadian Atrahasis, and Atrahasis is based on the older Sumerian hero, Ziusudra.

There are strong link between Ziusudra to the Sumerian city, Shurrupak. And Ziusudra is the sources of all later incarnations of the deluge hero.

And there are some evidence of flood debris in Shurrupak, dated to around 2900 BCE, that may have been the source of legend.

now, while I could be persuaded that the Shurrupak Deluge could be the cause of oral tradition, before the story were written down by the time of the 3rd dynasty in the late 3rd millennium BCE.

I would highly doubt that the Black Sea Deluge hypothesis were the source of the Ziusudra story, because it would mean a couple of thousands of years between the proposed date of the Black Sea deluge and when Ziusudra story was composed.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
that would be over-estimation of their education level.
They do get some seriously mentally ill scientists at those places. Andrew Snelling earned a PhD in geology. He worked for mining companies and wrote papers dating some of the formations that he worked with to 1.8 billion years. But something happened to him and for a short while he wrote both standard scientific papers, and YEC papers. It would be interesting to have a psychiatrist that understood some science analyze him.

Audie

Veteran Member
except for one thing.

The hero of the deluge, Utnapishtim from the Epic of Gilgamesh, is based on the older Akkadian Atrahasis, and Atrahasis is based on the older Sumerian hero, Ziusudra.

There are strong link between Ziusudra to the Sumerian city, Shurrupak. And Ziusudra is the sources of all later incarnations of the deluge hero.

And there are some evidence of flood debris in Shurrupak, dated to around 2900 BCE, that may have been the source of legend.

now, while I could be persuaded that the Shurrupak Deluge could be the cause of oral tradition, before the story were written down by the time of the 3rd dynasty in the late 3rd millennium BCE.

I would highly doubt that the Black Sea Deluge hypothesis were the source of the Ziusudra story, because it would mean a couple of thousands of years between the proposed date of the Black Sea deluge and when Ziusudra story was composed.
There's also that it dried during glacial advancesand refilled during retreats.
Water rising so slowly wouldn't make a dramatic flood.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
except for one thing.

That is the flood that I also think is the most likely candidate for the Noah's Ark myth. In fact I have this paper on it book marked:

As to the Black Sea flood that appears to be too slow and of course it never retreated. When people read about the vast quantities of water that flowed into the Black Sea for around a year they get rather amazed. But they forget that the Black Sea already existed. This only made it larger and since it was already a large body of water the new water rushing in did not make the shoreline advance very rapidly. It was fast enough to inundate houses since they cannot be moved. but people would have been left homeless, but could have easily have walked away.

Audie

Veteran Member
That is the flood that I also think is the most likely candidate for the Noah's Ark myth. In fact I have this paper on it book marked:

As to the Black Sea flood that appears to be too slow and of course it never retreated. When people read about the vast quantities of water that flowed into the Black Sea for around a year they get rather amazed. But they forget that the Black Sea already existed. This only made it larger and since it was already a large body of water the new water rushing in did not make the shoreline advance very rapidly. It was fast enough to inundate houses since they cannot be moved. but people would have been left homeless, but could have easily have walked away.
I bet a pumpkin vine grows faster than the waterline moved.

But why try find a basis anyway ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I bet a pumpkin vine grows faster than the waterline moved.

But why try find a basis anyway ?
The myth has had a significant cultural impact so it is interesting to find its source. In my state eight to ten thousand years ago there were a series of truly immense glacial floods. If there were any early native tribes in the area those floods probably generated their own set of myths.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The flip side to Biblical literalism. God's the worst mass murderer in history, if true. When I was younger it's that idea that made me dystheistic, meaning I temporarily believed God was not only not good but quite the opposite.
So how do you feel about war?

YoursTrue

The flip side to Biblical literalism. God's the worst mass murderer in history, if true. When I was younger it's that idea that made me dystheistic, meaning I temporarily believed God was not only not good but quite the opposite.
Of course evolution and subsequent death is ok, right?

YoursTrue

The same way I feel about mass murder. It makes me feel nauseous. It makes me feel outrage and helplessness at the same time. Do you ever feel like that
So you are not only against war, although obviously millions upon millions justify it now... But you would not join or support any war effort, is that right?

Audie

Veteran Member
The myth has had a significant cultural impact so it is interesting to find its source. In my state eight to ten thousand years ago there were a series of truly immense glacial floods. If there were any early native tribes in the area those floods probably generated their own set of myths.
I've been to the grand Coulee dam, know the
Guthrie song, seen the dry falls and channeled
scablands.

But noahs ark seems to me beyond the
reach even of idle speculation.

Yet-
Sheep mountain in Wyoming looks a lot like
the syncline in turkey that is the basis for
Nohs ark park. Only bigger.

Much idle speculation there!! Two arks?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I've been to the grand Coulee dam, know the
Guthrie song, seen the dry falls and channeled
scablands.

But noahs ark seems to me beyond the
reach even of idle speculation.

Yet-
Sheep mountain in Wyoming looks a lot like
the syncline in turkey that is the basis for
Nohs ark park. Only bigger.

Much idle speculation there!! Two arks?
I'm waiting for them to find an ark on Mt. Everest. That would be impressive.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if he gets all the food and keeps everything alive until the water recedes there's the problem of stopping the carnivores wiping out the pairs of prey animals until they can breed enough to sustain the losses. One pair of preying mantis would have wiped out hundreds of bug species.
Not only that, but according to some accounts, lions were not going to make it as a species.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3...quality=75&width=990&crop=3:2,smart&auto=webp