• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence of NOAH's FLOOD

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't know why rationally - people believe in a global flood on basis of scripture. The words in the Bible can be reference to the land Nuh (a) was sent to. Seems to be a translation issue and misunderstanding. For example, in Arabic, al-arth can be referring "the land" or sometimes "the earth" as in "all the land". It depends on context. Do people really believe Noah (a) went all around the earth to every part of the land and warned everyone all over the earth?

I would imagine he didn't have much time to travel after warning his people so that is why he built a ship. And to save the local species. That's another thing, if it was global flood, there is no way all species of plants and animals are going to fit.
The problem is that a local flood would not have killed everyone except for Noah and family. It sort of makes the Flood pointless. I can understand an all or nothing attitude by believers, but the problem with that is that one ends up with "nothing".

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The problem is that a local flood would not have killed everyone except for Noah and family. It sort of makes the Flood pointless. I can understand an all or nothing attitude by believers, but the problem with that is that one ends up with "nothing".

It might have been in a local place in Africa before the humans migrated all over. At one point, we were all in a single location in Africa at least that it was scientist believe today.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It might have been in a local place in Africa before the humans migrated all over.
Humans have probably for the length of their existence been well spread out. Definitely not in one small valley. Our ancestors, Homo erectus, Occupied much of Asia and Africa. I am not sure of Europe. but probably there as well

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Also, Quran differs on this. Noah (a) had followers aside from his family.
What was the Muslim purpose of the flood?

But again, even if he had other members besides his family that would have left a very observable population bottleneck in our genetics. Such an extreme bottleneck does not exist, so no flood, even if he invited the whole neighborhood.

F1fan

Veteran Member
But what the Smithsonian has to say is more scientific? Evidence for a Flood
That is not the flood you want it to be. BTW, floods happen all over the world, all through the ages. They aren't rare. That they damaged settlements over time is why there are so many flood stories, and God being behind them. You know, people are bad and God is good, so God kills the people he created.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Humans have probably for the length of their existence been well spread out. Definitely not in one small valley. Our ancestors, Homo erectus, Occupied much of Asia and Africa. I am not sure of Europe. but probably there as well

Eh, they taught me otherwise in my university. That the genetic evidence suggests we were all in a tight place in Africa at one point then we spread out later.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Eh, they taught me otherwise in my university. That the genetic evidence suggests we were all in a tight place in Africa at one point then we spread out later.
You may have learned incorrectly or your university may have been wrong. And once again, a lack of an extreme population bottleneck refutes that belief.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It was the first time, but Quran goes through many examples after. Flood is just one way God destroys unjust people who reject his Messengers and oppress believers. Usually both terms have to be met, believers must be in trouble of prosecution and a Messenger from God rejected.

There were earthquakes, storms, comets, all sorts of different ways.

The last event of such a nature was towards the Pharaoh who rejected Moses and kept children of Israel as slaves.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You may have learned incorrectly or your university may have been wrong. And once again, a lack of an extreme population bottleneck refutes that belief.

I don't know enough to comment. I'm just hearing what professor said what scientist believe. I don't know enough to support or argue against.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It was the first time, but Quran goes through many examples after. Flood is just one way God destroys unjust people who reject his Messengers and oppress believers. Usually both terms have to be met, believers must be in trouble of prosecution and a Messenger from God rejected.

There were earthquakes, storms, comets, all sorts of different ways.

The last event of such a nature was towards the Pharaoh who rejected Moses and kept children of Israel as slaves.
Except Moses is mythical as well. It is best not to abuse religious books by treating them as history.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't know enough to comment. I'm just hearing what professor said what scientist believe. I don't know enough to support or argue against.
You might want to look into the concept a bit. There is an example of a species of mammals getting down to almost the numbers of Noah and his family. The African cheetah has such a population bottleneck. They are so closely related that the degree genetic of relatedness between any two cheetahs will be greater than the degree of relatedness that you have to your sister. It also results in transplants being very easy to do with cheetahs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You were asking what is the purpose of Noah's (a) flood.
Okay, fair enough. But you did bring up another mythical being. What is interesting to find out that the tales of genocide ordered by God in the Old Testament do not appear to have happened. In other words if there is a God he is not as evil as the Bible portrays him to be.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

But again, even if he had other members besides his family that would have left a very observable population bottleneck in our genetics. Such an extreme bottleneck does not exist, so no flood, even if he invited the whole neighborhood.

If people rejected Mohammad (s) and Yathrib by the Messianic Jews living there did not invite Mohammad (s), the whole world would not be destroyed. Rather Mecca would be destroyed. Maybe another city, I don't know.

But what I'm saying per Quran, these are not global events. Lot (a) city was destroyed, but this doesn't mean the whole world.

So Nuh (a) was sent to his people. Was that the whole religion and all peoples in the world? I find no evidence for that.

ChieftheCef

What isnt?
The post you answered?
Genesis?
Your post?
All three?
Sorry, I thought you'd be smart enough to get that I was talking about the general conglomerant of texts, beliefs and actions by the followers of God was not true, but symbolism makes it useful to people.