• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egypt's President Mursi assumes sweeping powers

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
What media changes are there? The presedential mandate is just the limit of time for presedents to be maximum 2 four year terms right? what aout military? Do you have the inside scoop? I have been searching for this and I havn't found any legitamate updates yet....

Media: Article 48 states: "Media organisations cannot be suspended, closed or their assets be confiscated unless there is a judicial decree"; Article 49 adds: "Notification only is required to launch and own newspapers."

I guess its open to interpretation,as long as nobody criticises the Government they could be ok.

Lady B

noob
Media: Article 48 states: "Media organisations cannot be suspended, closed or their assets be confiscated unless there is a judicial decree"; Article 49 adds: "Notification only is required to launch and own newspapers."

I guess its open to interpretation,as long as nobody criticises the Government they could be ok.
Does it include your twist? That media cannot go against Government? Or is it a protection for free speech ?

Lady B

noob
I'm just fearing the worst,not long ago they closed a Newspaper and TV station down.
yes true, however shortly after this Morsi rebuked them for doing so, I guess we will see what his true intents are when the draft is made public, I do hear there are no amendments for women at all.:facepalm:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
yes true, however shortly after this Morsi rebuked them for doing so, I guess we will see what his true intents are when the draft is made public, I do hear there are no amendments for women at all.:facepalm:

Well heres a snippit:

Women: The new Article 10 says: "The state shall provide motherhood and childhood services for free. It shall also guarantee co-ordination between the duties of the woman and her public work. The state shall provide protection and care for the divorced and widowed woman".
Article 30 states that "citizens are equal before the law and equal in rights and obligations without discrimination", but there is no explicit guarantee of women's rights.

:sad4:

The other worrying thing is Al-Azhar University getting its fingers in the Pie:

Al-Azhar: "Al-Azhar is an independent and a comprehensive entity. It takes the task of preaching Islam in Egypt and in the whole world. Scholars of al-Azhar should be consulted in all matters related to Sharia."

:cover:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Secularism's last stand?

Maybe,it could also be Egypts last chance to put into place a constitution for all the people that recognises that they are Human,its a very rare opportunity to write a constitution and to write one that is in places no better or worse than the last is IMO a crime.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
This is quite sad :

'Must be consensus'
In a news conference broadcast earlier on state television, Mr Mekki said there was "real political will to pass the current period and respond to the demands of the public".
But he said there "must be consensus" on the constitution, and that "the door for dialogue is open for those who object to the draft".
"I am completely confident that if not in the coming hours, in the next few days we will reach a breakthrough in the crisis and consensus," he said.
He proposed that the opposition put their concerns about particular parts of the constitution into writing, but that this was "not a formal initiative but a personal idea".

BBC News - Egypt crisis: Clashes in Cairo amid constitution row

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The good about the referendum is that the veil is off of the Muslim Brotherhood "The Freedom and Justice Party",even changeing the name cannot change what kind of organisation it is,reading the News today i think the only thing they have managed to do is divide the country http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...resident-mursi-assumes-sweeping-powers-5.html.

Constitution at a glance

• Sharia remains the main source of legislation
  • Al-Azhar, Sunni Islam's leading authority, to be consulted on "matters related to Sharia"
  • Christianity and Judaism to be the main source of legislation for Christians and Jews
  • Religious freedom to be limited to Muslims, Christians and Jews
  • Limits president to two four-year terms of office
This reminds me of Kareem Amer Kareem Amer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the Egyptian Blogger who was jailed for 4 years for insulting Islam and Mubarak and nothing much has changed BBC News - Egypt court jails blogger Alber Saber for blasphemy Alber Saber another blogger jailed on the 12th December for blasphemy is one in an expected long line of victims of the old and new state.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The good about the referendum is that the veil is off of the Muslim Brotherhood "The Freedom and Justice Party",even changeing the name cannot change what kind of organisation it is,reading the News today i think the only thing they have managed to do is divide the country http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...resident-mursi-assumes-sweeping-powers-5.html.

Constitution at a glance

• Sharia remains the main source of legislation
  • Al-Azhar, Sunni Islam's leading authority, to be consulted on "matters related to Sharia"
  • Christianity and Judaism to be the main source of legislation for Christians and Jews
  • Religious freedom to be limited to Muslims, Christians and Jews
  • Limits president to two four-year terms of office
This reminds me of Kareem Amer Kareem Amer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the Egyptian Blogger who was jailed for 4 years for insulting Islam and Mubarak and nothing much has changed BBC News - Egypt court jails blogger Alber Saber for blasphemy Alber Saber another blogger jailed on the 12th December for blasphemy is one in an expected long line of victims of the old and new state.
When thinking of Egypt these days I am reminded of the old expression, "Be careful of what you wish for; you just might get it." Sometimes, change isn't what people think it might be.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
When thinking of Egypt these days I am reminded of the old expression, "Be careful of what you wish for; you just might get it." Sometimes, change isn't what people think it might be.

Sure,caught on the wave of the Arab Spring i'm sure the people weren't thinking change for the worse,it seems though that the Egyptian people are about to find out.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sure,caught on the wave of the Arab Spring i'm sure the people weren't thinking change for the worse,it seems though that the Egyptian people are about to find out.
The thing is, once you have succeeded in installing an Islamist regime, how, exactly, do you ever get rid of said regime? The prospects are not good.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The thing is, once you have succeeded in installing an Islamist regime, how, exactly, do you ever get rid of said regime? The prospects are not good.

Not easily,the inclusion of Al-Azhar University in the constitution should activate the alarm bells,its like a Factory with just one product.

Lady B

noob
Actually...The Egyptian people are comfortable with Al-Azhar being the leader for Islamic laws, They do not want power to be given to the Salifs or the muslim brotherhood or Wahabee or any other sect. They trust Al-Azhar and feel they are a fairminded group, even Christians prefer this then the many alternatives. problem is there is another clause That confuses The Al-Azhar clause, I believe it is article 219.That grants authority elswhere.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
They do not want power to be given to the Salifs or the muslim brotherhood or Wahabee or any other sect.
If that is the case then how do you square this with the fact that the Muslim Brotherhood and the Salfists trounced everyone else in the election?

They trust Al-Azhar and feel they are a fairminded group, even Christians prefer this then the many alternatives.
I'm thinking of it as the least threatening pit bull in the pack. Then again, perhaps it is just the most cunning pit bull.

problem is there is another clause That confuses The Al-Azhar clause, I believe it is article 219.That grants authority elswhere.
I doubt such a seeming oversight was inserted for the heck of it. It's an escape clause and little more lest the esteemed scholars residing at Al-Azhar fail to please.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Actually...The Egyptian people are comfortable with Al-Azhar being the leader for Islamic laws, They do not want power to be given to the Salifs or the muslim brotherhood or Wahabee or any other sect. They trust Al-Azhar and feel they are a fairminded group, even Christians prefer this then the many alternatives. problem is there is another clause That confuses The Al-Azhar clause, I believe it is article 219.That grants authority elswhere.

They don't appear to be very comfortable at the moment and i don't think a result either way in the referendum will be the end of it.