1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Egyptian and Jewish exodus what proof?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Riders, May 10, 2017.

1. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    There is NO evidence for Sodom and Gomorrah … There is speculation that it could be Tel el Hammam, but that was destroyed hundreds of years before Abraham.

The region was occupied by humans for at least 2,500 years until around 1,700 BCE, when its farming settlements and cities were suddenly abandoned and people did not return to the region for 600 to 700 years.

Tell el-Hammam was apparently destroyed, as the remains of mud-brick walls suggest. Pieces of pottery recovered and dated to the same time of the destruction of the city show evidence of intense heat.

The outer layers of the vessels and other objects made from clay partially melted, forming a glassy coat.

Is The Biblical Destruction Of Sodom And Gomorrah Based On A Real-Life Impact Event?

2. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Bunch of religious and apologetic claims and rationalisations that aren't in evidence at all and many of which, such as @sooda pointed out, are just plain wrong.

3. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    Connecting stuff regardless of the timeline just creates more confusion. Amateur connect the dots is NOT helpful.

Best guess is that the cities of the plain did not exist in the historical record .. as in never existed or existed long before Abraham.

Arguments Against Locating Sodom at Tall el-Hammam ...
    https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-sites-places/...

The proposal that Tall el-Hammam is Sodom fails on at least two counts, and these are helpfully summarized by two experts in their respective subjects.

Geography Fail: Bill Schlegel, professor in Israel for 25 years and author of the Satellite Bible Atlas, explains why the biblical text does not fit the geography of Tall el-Hammam.

(Chronology Fail: Eugene Merrill, Distinguished Professor of Old Testament Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary and author of Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel, shows in a recent Artifax article that for Tall el-Hammam to be Sodom one must deny all of the biblical dates before the time of the judges. )

4. TagliatelliMonster

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Another problem here, is that EVEN if we would find ruins of cities with those exact names in those exact locations.... that would in no way be evidence that some angels came down to earth and destroyed them with fire and brimstone :rolleyes:

5. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    LOL.. I know.. Its like saying Batman was real because NYC is real.

But, what a great inspiration for a morality tale.

6. TagliatelliMonster

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I fear I'll lead it into off topic ranting now....

But the sodom and gomorra tale? ANYTHING but a greatly inspiring morality tale to me!
    In fact the opposite: truelly horrible in every sensible way, from all sides.

From whichever angle one wishes to approach this story, to me it reads like a horror tale without any good side.
    I don't find any morals in there at all. Not one.

7. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    Actually I agree with you.. However, the reason given for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is that the cities were affluent but treated travelers badly. Reading sexual perversion into the story may have titillated some people. But considering that Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt (made barren) and he beds his daughters I don't think sexual morality is the theme of the story.

8. TagliatelliMonster

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Considering it borderlines genocide and completely out of proportion punishment, I'ld say that justice, mercy, love, etc aren't the morality themes either.

That's my point exactly: there are no morality themes to be found in it. Only horror, injustice and just plain despicable practices from all sides.

9. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    Maybe God had nothing to do with it...

10. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Active Member

Ratings:
    +365
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Where are the 2.5 million Jewish bodies who supposedly died in the wilderness?

Camps large enough for that many people also need latrines and forage for their animals.

11. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yep.. and there would be massive tells of garbage.

12. 1213

1213 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Religion:
    Disciple of Jesus
    How do you know that? I think we can’t know it surely. But by what it tells, I think it is about the same matter.

13. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    Simple.. Look at the dates.

14. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    I have not found any proof on this thread yet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Religion:

Well I saw a tv special claiming also that there were some uh natural desasters which could have caused some of the plagues in the bible including frogs and river drying up and water turning red, infact theres a sickness in Egypt now that can still cause that river to turn red and spurn deseases in it .But just because a few natural desasters could have explained some of the plagues does not mean God is behind it nor Moses, nor the Exodus of Israelites who had become slaves and escaped the Egyptians so on and so forth.....

16. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    Red Algae bloom will turn water red and suffocate the fish. The Santorini eruption was hundreds of years too early for Exodus and had been debunked as bad science.

They want to claim a volcanic eruption in the Med could cause the parting of the Red Sea.

Silly and stupid.. They should start with a map.

17. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Religion:
    Yea right that could not have caused the parting of the red sea. Ive heard some say the red sea was really shallow sea of reeds........

18. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Religion:

The deseases that get into the red river can cause frogs sickness and the bugs come locusts they can still get some of that today .

19. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Religion:
    Christian
    Its a myth.. never happened. The Red Sea is 7,000 feet deep.

[​IMG]

20. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Religion:
    WOW thanks for the info!