• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drugsdealers meet justice: 8 executed

dust1n

Zindīq
Hmmm... certainly cocaine (though if only Coca-cola wasn't one of the few allowed to legally import coca leaves, I'd support legalization of coca), heroin (and pretty much any opioid) and meth, amongst other drugs, are really terrible things and entail death. I see more rehabilitation potential in these sorts of crimes then I do rape and murder, and generally only reserve the death sentence for request or particularly heinous people.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I will admit it right here: I'm against the death penalty for ethical and practical reasons, but I consider drug-dealing to be an atrocious crime worthy of severe punishment. Drug dealers don't just harm themselves; they lead many people to addiction that quite often can be fatal. I have little sympathy for them.

If drugsdealers are tolerated. They become powerful Drugs Kingdoms(Cartels).
Have you two never met a dealer?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I don't agree with the death penalty. But a hit or heroin is 0.1grams. These idiots were caught with 8kg. Thats a lot of heroin. Indonesia's stance is clear.

These stupid, greedy people took a risk that didn't pay off. I have no sympathy for stupidity.

Shad

Veteran Member
I really have no issue with the ruling in these cases for drug dealers. When I was in high-school a group of my friends became involved in hard drugs and it ruined their lives. Beyond trying to talk them out of it I did one intervention for a friend that was given meth by bouncers from the local hotspot club. She went missing for 2 weeks. We found her at a dive apartment block of one of these bouncers. She was in such a drug induced state she was sitting on the floor completely incapable of standing or even talking coherently all while in a room with 4 30+ year old bouncers with stupid grins on their face. The police did nothing even when we told them exactly where she was. So we took action ourselves, busted down their door, restrained everyone in the room and took her home. She refused treatment, again the police did nothing and the government refused to get involved. She broke ties with every single family member and friend running away back to one of these dives. I have not seen her in 15 years nor have her parents.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Many, many more are killed by those fighting drugs than by drugs, their users or criminal activity associated with them.
That is something I hear often, but have a hard time even attempting to believe.

And that is before considering that most of drug's damage does not involve actual death. Misery is worse than death.

Quite frankly, it is just not in me to disapprove of the capital penalty for drug dealers. And I have considerable trouble disapproving of it for users.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
That is something I hear often, but have a hard time even attempting to believe.

And that is before considering that most of drug's damage does not involve actual death. Misery is worse than death.

Quite frankly, it is just not in me to disapprove of the capital penalty for drug dealers. And I have considerable trouble disapproving of it for users.
So, you'd kill me?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Yes I have, I used to be one in a small time way. I fell into the "subsidizing my own consumption" category.

I was young and ignorant in the 70s, and my customers were generally other middle class kids. We had pretty solid safety nets and weren't in much danger. But I do feel guilty about the small part I played in creating the Mexican and Columbian drug cartels that have caused so much damage.
The guys in Indonesia are light years beyond that. Eight kilos of heroin has huge destructive capabilities, and that is just what they got caught with.

I support legalization mainly to cut the financial legs out from under these people. In the meantime, I see drug dealing at that level more similar to murder for hire than filling a market niche.
Off with their heads.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Death for drugs is not justified. Drugs are not nearly as bad or as dangerous as most people think.
Why are doctors not executed or imprisoned? The drugs they prescribe and the pharmacist deal have ruined more lives and killed more people than all the "hard" illegal drugs have. If you're scared of a drug dealer for dealing drugs, then, logically, it should follow you are terrified of your pharmacist. But you aren't.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've known several of them. I know one who has schizophrenia bad enough he can't work and drugs supplement his welfare. I've known a bunch who do it to pay for their habit, or for gas and cigarette money, or to build up a cushion of money so they can get things fixed and some money saved up. Some of them look and act so clean cut and square you'd never guess they are drug users or dealers. I also have met a couple that I'd rather not encounter again. Dealers, like most other people, come in all shapes and sizes.
And it is the average person of average looks and average demeanor, looking upper middle class and family type who provides for the best drug dealer cover. People are so concerned with those like a rugged biker type who in reality would make a terrible dealer, especially if that person belongs to a drug-devouring biker gang, while they ignore that perfect high schooler kid next door who happens to deal pot, or worse, to the neighborhood.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
What about Punjab? What about Colombia? Iran? Pakistan?

What about the ghettos of every single inner city in the U.S. and Canada?

I think people who claim drugs are harmless either a) use a lot of drugs or b) are completely ignorant and unaware of the **** that goes on in drug communities
Your failing to see the cause isn't the drug but.the criminal status.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Your failing to see the cause isn't the drug but.the criminal status.
Drugs are probably the most demonized things in modern society. We have clear historical precedence that alcohol prohibition fueled crime, and made it very profitable. No more alcohol prohibition, no more alcohol-money fueled crime lords.
The average drug user has also been stereotyped into the worse of junkies. Caffeine is a widely abused drug, it is very addictive, and it does cause a number of health problems. But people aren't worried about it. Meth users are supposed to all have sunken in eyes, rotten teeth, and smell really bad, but people never think of the person who has ADD and gets meth from their doctor.

Kirran

Premium Member
I think it's mad. This in an inhuman punishment.

I am, in fact, against the death penalty in general. But for dealing drugs? Yes, heroine is a massively harmful substance. Cocaine can also be pretty harmful, when used regularly. But if there's a demand, there'll be a supply. People get into dealing drugs for some extra money, for a job, whatever, and for some it escalates - very few really realise the harm caused by peddling this stuff.

As for the idea that the production of drugs always involves violence exploitation - fair enough, it usually does, to the extent that it is unwise to buy drugs you don't know are ethically sourced because the chances are you are encouraging that side of the industry. But I have grown both marijuana and opium poppies myself for personal consumption, and there was no violence involved (aside from what I perpetrated on myself).

I am absolutely against the recreational use of any drugs, including alcohol, by anybody. But I am also in favour of the legalisation of all drugs, because that will drastically reduce violence and suffering.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's always nice when someone thinks you should die.
This is how I feel about it. We perhaps shouldn't be surprised that Indonesia is doing this but we should be sickened. The lack of compassion exhibited by people in this thread is disgusting.
It just goes to show how powerful years of lies can be. Without drugs, where would society be? Francis Crick discovered the double-helix of DNA while on LDS. Of course a ton of art has been made while high of many different things. The world would look completely different without the morning cup of coffee, and I don't even want to think of a world without chocolate, which, of course, comes from the same plant that cocaine does. Natural, hard, and lab-cooked drugs have been shown to work wonders in regards to mental health. And what about Freud? It's said that this is that coke head's paradigm, afterall.
And then there is tobacco. Legal, socially acceptable, not tested for, but, on the other hand, a bunch of smokers are also litterers and toss their butts wherever, smoking stinks, and tobacco on its own has kills more people each year than all other drugs combined, including alcohol. But people have no compassion for the person who uses drugs on the occasion they are offered. I gave up on one discussion once I realized the person I was debating just would not recognize that people sometimes just enjoy getting high, and will occasionally use drugs to enjoy the occasional high.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think punishment should fit the crime. It's dependent upon the nature of the dealers and the level of impact by which it's damaging to determine the severity of the sentence.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think punishment should fit the crime. It's dependent upon the nature of the dealers and the level of impact by which it's damaging to determine the severity of the sentence.
Then what do you think we should do to doctors, pharmacists, and tobacco and alcohol executives? What about the executives of corporations like Dole or Chiquita? Or Nestle's CEO Peter Brabeck?