• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dream Job?

Laika

Premium Member
I'm trying to get past the malaise of thinking about jobs and careers to think of something exciting or meaningful I could do. I find It hard to be enthusiatic about starting a job search. Thats probably not an uncommon feeling or experience.

But just for fun and the sake of day dreaming a little bit, I can think of three ideas off the top of my head for a job or career I'd like to do (semi-seriously): something in politics, something related to the environment, and then my inner child starts jumping up and down on the bed saying "astronaut" and "martian"! :D

If you could chose anything, What would be your ideal job? Is the job your doing now your dream job? Or do you have plans for something in the future?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
If you could chose anything, What would be your ideal job? Is the job your doing now your dream job? Or do you have plans for something in the future?
Either entrepreneur, philosopher, or electrician. Maybe even all three.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Either entrepreneur, philosopher, or electrician. Maybe even all three.

Why not all three? You could start your own electrical contracting business and make deep philosophical observations about the ampacity of various wire choices while on the job.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Got mine .. the narrow path led me to it.
Collected clocks age 10, became instrument tech, ended up Biomed Engineer at
local hospital

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I would like to write great stories and essays that everyone would read and talk about...

That hasn't worked out so well, mainly because I don't think my writing and ideas a good enough most of the time to submit to the public, and I've seen enough truly talented people get totally ignored when THEY tried...

So, I did enjoy what I had been doing since 2004: preparing for and becoming a university faculty member. That was going on swimmingly until the problems with memory, attention span, thinking, etc., and then the headaches started...

I'd really like it if those things got better and I could go back to work...

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Obviously my dream job is to seize control of a country as dictator and by force institute some kind of diabolical theocracy.

One can dream

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm looking more and more at being a tattoo artist. Not overall my "true" dream job, but being related to art is still a good thing.
I'm terrible at interviews and have poor social skills and understanding. I'm being told I'm pretty good at portraits. Portraits are where the money is at in tattooing.
What I find funny is, realistically I never planned on art being any possible career path, and while to most people the real job is encase the art career doesn't pan out, the art career is if my "real job" plans (psychology) don't happen. Or it may just happen anyways because I would get such a super huge ego stroke from putting my art on someone's skin. And not just that it's my art, but the honor of them having chose me to do it for them. :D And after I polish my portrait skills and get a portfolio of several of them, I'll find myself in an advantaged position for once in terms of the job search (apprenticeship, actually, but I'll have something to speak loudly for me).
I'd share the one's I've done so far, but I don't have permission to share.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I had my dream job for a while, & foolishly left it.
I was a lowly employee....an engineer paid to play all day & invent things.
The things were beautiful, functional, & cool.
No management responsibility....just fun, fun, fun.
Next time around, maybe I'll know better.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There are some obvious problem areas, and it's newsprint and the paper was starting to rip and did tear in a couple places, but for only the sixth portrait I've ever done I'm not overly disappointed. And since I may have found a way to get a fresh supply of faces once a month to get some good practice with, I probably will be going to eventually take a more dream job route and tattoo. Tattooing is also often a decent way to get musical exposure, so there's potential for more.
[GALLERY=media, 7829]me-self by Shadow Wolf posted Dec 3, 2016 at 7:00 PM[/GALLERY]
(it's now occurred to me that my camera isn't as good as I thought it was, lol! So it's all the camera's fault and it's actually a flawless self portrait when you can see it with your own eyes! :p)

Animore

Response to OP.

Honest to God, I don't have a dream job. I have multiple possible choices that I would like to consider before making any decisions. That, and I switch job choices around every month and I want to be sure now. What I'm going for right now is astronomer. I haven't picked any sub-specialty yet.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I am a Computer Analyst and have been for 40 years.

Not a bad job, but it is high stress, and your "education" never ends because your University degree won't be enough, as technology, computer languages, software, hardware, networking, storage, PURPOSE - changes, constant change. So you are also constantly getting certified, going to "confrences" and forums, constantly taking course, on and on.

It does pay well - though I mske more money on my investments than I do on salary - and now I am going to retire. BUT I would NOT recommendna CS degree or going into IT these days - there are constant downsizing, reorgs, too much. I have been through six of them and survived them all.

It is no longer "my dream job".

But if I had to do it all over, my dream jobs now would include (and notice I just don't limit my "dream" TO WORKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE, I include MY OWN BUSINESS):

* Owning my own Taxi company

* A career in Epidemiology

* Professional artist - oil painting

* A Financial or Investor Analyst

* An owner of fruit tree orchards

* Owner of a winery, both growing grapes and fermenting red wine

* Producing and selling metal Hindu idols across the globe via the internet

* Owning and running my own Dharma Bookstore (Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, etc., and even a bit of New Age and Magic), and which also sells incense

* Owning a company that designs, prints and sells Tarot Cards

* Owning a company that builds and sells compressed air vehicles and carts - or electric if compressed air is as stupid as some say on this forum

* A cult leader

* My own cigarette company

* I would like my own retail chain that sells expensive high quality womens purses, but I am a Hindu so I can't as many purses are leather

* I would like my own store that sells perfume (parfume)

* Own a gold mine

EmperorSwordMan

A Fantasy turned Real
My dream job is to work somewhere in the gaming industry either as a developer or designer, and do music and writing on the side. Thing is though the music and writing things would have to be hobbies to me since I getting money out if it isn't hat easy, especially all the time working for the gaming industry takes away. But still.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My dream job is to work somewhere in the gaming industry either as a developer or designer, and do music and writing on the side. Thing is though the music and writing things would have to be hobbies to me since I getting money out if it isn't hat easy, especially all the time working for the gaming industry takes away. But still.
I'd say with the electronic stores like Steam or PSN, there may have never been a better time for indy-game developers (at least, it's a worlds difference and civil towards each other unlike the early days).

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I trained for ten years under a herpetologist and helped build educational exhibits for reptiles and helped foster and rescue reptiles. It's a very niche position and most of the money we made was donation based. But it was a fascinating life. And how many gals do you know who've worked with a half dozen alligators, monitor lizards, pythons, boas, colubrids, lizards, geckos and so on?

I also have an aptitude for doing digital art, as the name suggests, but never committed to the scary and unsure jump to making it my 'day job.'

...I also make Harry Potter style wands with a foot powered treadle lathe.

I have eclectic hobbies. (Read: I'm a weirdo.)

Anou

I'm trying to get past the malaise of thinking about jobs and careers to think of something exciting or meaningful I could do. I find It hard to be enthusiatic about starting a job search. Thats probably not an uncommon feeling or experience.

But just for fun and the sake of day dreaming a little bit, I can think of three ideas off the top of my head for a job or career I'd like to do (semi-seriously): something in politics, something related to the environment, and then my inner child starts jumping up and down on the bed saying "astronaut" and "martian"! :D

its depend , for me Programmer or developer

Electra

Group artistic/social/synchronistic/spiritual/sensual experience conductor . . . lol . . . *walks away slowly*