• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dogs know...

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Dogs know (sometimes) when their master is returning home. Ten minutes beforehand they start hanging out near the front door awaiting that happy moment.

Perhaps it works like this: When the master gets near home, they think of their beloved doggies. Since their souls are entangled with those of their doggies, they feel the presence.

Audie

Veteran Member
Dogs know (sometimes) when their master is returning home. Ten minutes beforehand they start hanging out near the front door awaiting that happy moment.

Perhaps it works like this: When the master gets near home, they think of their beloved doggies. Since their souls are entangled with those of their doggies, they feel the presence.

Easy to test.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Good internal clocks?

Jumi

Not just dogs, other pets also seem to have good timing, they get anxious and start waiting near the door around the time the owner is coming home.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Then it would seem that they would know ahead of time to step out of the way of oncoming vehicles...just sayin'.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Uhhh. yeah.

"the likes of" is a very good way to put it.

your phrasing leaves something to be desired.

What he declares he has found is not the same as "found to be".
But I am inclined to think you would be quick to just accept any anti-paranormal author or claim.

I respect the gentleman I mentioned.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Rather than a psychic bond, which I don't fully discount, I believe that it is more likely that the critters are hungry and they know their feeding machine, err, master will soon attend to their needs.

Audie

Veteran Member
But I am inclined to think you would be quick to just accept any anti-paranormal author or claim.

I respect the gentleman I mentioned.

Dont try to make this something about me, an
imaginary deficiency on my part. Trying that only serves
to discrfedit any argument you wish to put forward.

The person whose claims you choose to accept
cannot be validated by anyone, and he has reputation
as a crank.

Now, the latter observation does not make him a crank,
and some several(tho a tiny percent of all) "cranks"
have proved to be right.

Show us where reputable researchers unaffiliated
with woo woocan repeat and otherwise validate his claims.

I do not think you can.

I apply the same standard for all research. Not, as
you rather insultingly said of me,that I apply
different standards according to some set of prejudices.

Perhaps that applies with more truth and less
calumny to you, but it is not true of me.

Nothing of a paranormal sort has ever been validated.

Audie

Veteran Member
Rather than a psychic bond, which I don't fully discount, I believe that it is more likely that the critters are hungry and they know their feeding machine, err, master will soon attend to their needs.

Sure, it could be. Who wants to "fully discount' anything?
(well, other than creationists who fully discount anything that
doesnt suit them) :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sure, it could be. Who wants to "fully discount' anything?
(well, other than creationists who fully discount anything that
doesnt suit them) :D
Hehe. As a former doggy owner I think that people are forgetting that dogs are quite intelligent and respond well to repetitive conditioning. My guess is Waldo waiting at the front door is simply learned behavior that some are mistaking for something more. Dogs do tend to react strangely before violent weather. I noticed that they got spooked easily or seemed on edge before a violent thunderstorm, for example. That said, they could just be reacting to changes in air pressure, temperature, etc.. that we are quite unaware of. I'm not even sure how one would test for this.

To show some kind of psychic link, you would HAVE to go outside what could be learned behavior. In many ways, dogs are like little kids and when trained in a certain way we should not be shocked when they manifest the trend in other ways.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's cute, I'll give you that. ;0)

However I would figure scent, rather than "soul" sense plays a larger role here.

Audie

Veteran Member
Hehe. As a former doggy owner I think that people are forgetting that dogs are quite intelligent and respond well to repetitive conditioning. My guess is Waldo waiting at the front door is simply learned behavior that some are mistaking for something more. Dogs do tend to react strangely before violent weather. I noticed that they got spooked easily or seemed on edge before a violent thunderstorm, for example. That said, they could just be reacting to changes in air pressure, temperature, etc.. that we are quite unaware of. I'm not even sure how one would test for this.

To show some kind of psychic link, you would HAVE to go outside what could be learned behavior. In many ways, dogs are like little kids and when trained in a certain way we should not be shocked when they manifest the trend in other ways.

It just would not be hard, at all.

Is it a "psychic soul-link"?

Put the dog in an unaccustomed place, and have
owner come at an unexpected time.

Or, come home early at regular place!

People have designed tests for a lot more
difficult things than this.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

However I would figure scent, rather than "soul" sense plays a larger role here.
Perhaps, but I still think it is based on hunger and through learned behavior they know they will soon be fed.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It just would not be hard, at all.

Is it a "psychic soul-link"?

Put the dog in an unaccustomed place, and have
owner come at an unexpected time.

Or, come home early at regular place!

People have designed tests for a lot more
difficult things than this.
Forgive me as I still have the flu and so am not firing on all cylanders just yet. I did think of that while writing but had forgotten to include it. My thinking was to test it you would have to put the dogs outside of the comfort zone and learned behavior. A good example of this is in videos or returning service people who are greeted by their beloved critters. In EVERY video I have seen the dog does not seem to have any foreknowledge about what is about to take place and goes nuts when they see their favorite human animal.

You know, I think that one example and there are hundreds of such video on YouTube to back it up, dispels the notion promoted in the OP. If the dogs didn't know, until they made eye contact, in such a situation as the returning vet, why would they be hyper aware in the home? Doesn't add up. If the OP were true, the dogs should be having conniptions BEFORE their human came into view but I have yet to see that happen. It's always upon eye contact/first sight.

Nous

Premium Member
Easy to test.

Good internal clocks?

Then it would seem that they would know ahead of time to step out of the way of oncoming vehicles...just sayin'.

Uhhh. yeah.

"the likes of" is a very good way to put it.

your phrasing leaves something to be desired.

What he declares he has found is not the same as "found to be".

Dont try to make this something about me, an
imaginary deficiency on my part. Trying that only serves
to discrfedit any argument you wish to put forward.

The person whose claims you choose to accept
cannot be validated by anyone, and he has reputation
as a crank.

Now, the latter observation does not make him a crank,
and some several(tho a tiny percent of all) "cranks"
have proved to be right.

Show us where reputable researchers unaffiliated
with woo woocan repeat and otherwise validate his claims.

I do not think you can.

I apply the same standard for all research. Not, as
you rather insultingly said of me,that I apply
different standards according to some set of prejudices.

Perhaps that applies with more truth and less
calumny to you, but it is not true of me.

Nothing of a paranormal sort has ever been validated.

It seems you guys have not read the peer-reviewed literature on this phenomenon. I don't know why one would believe one has worthwhile comments or beliefs on some issue while being ignorant of the facts.

Here is one of Sheldrake's papers on his studies, this one on the dog Jaytee: https://www.sheldrake.org/files/pdfs/papers/JSE_Vol14.pdf

One can find Sheldrake's other "scientific papers on animal powers" here: Scientific Papers on Animal Powers

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It seems you guys have not read the peer-reviewed literature on this phenomenon. I don't know why one would believe one has worthwhile comments or beliefs on some issue while being ignorant of the facts.

Here is one of Sheldrake's papers on his studies, this one on the dog Jaytee: https://www.sheldrake.org/files/pdfs/papers/JSE_Vol14.pdf

One can find Sheldrake's other "scientific papers on animal powers" here: Scientific Papers on Animal Powers

Because Sheldrake doesn't have that must standing in the scientific community?

Nous

Premium Member
Because Sheldrake doesn't have that must standing in the scientific community?
So does that mean you plan to remain ignorant of the evidence Sheldrake published in the peer-reviewed literature on dogs who seem to know when their owners are returning home?