• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does present exists ?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I see it the opposite way. It is the present that slides into the future like a fine wine glides down the throat

How does the past prevent the present from being altered?
The latter is not what I meant, but that the present is imprinted in the past. My parents for example had WWII as their present for much of the time but since I was born after this it could never be my present.

Essentially the present doesn't exist. Time is not mischievous and speeds up or slows down or hovers - apart from as to how humans perceive such. The present might appear to be some portion of time but it cannot be so since time simply flows at a constant rate - as far as we know - and the present must be an infinitesimally small amount of time (for any period of time we can think of a smaller one) - such that the future becomes instantaneously the past. Hence essentially no present.

So however we use the term it just doesn't match with reality. Hence the present (in the future) beckoning, and the present (now in the past) departing us.

PS. And all such was expressed in the OP. :oops:

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Present is a consequence of past. So it's from the past and moves to the future (possibilities).

What happened can't be undune because it doesn't exist anymore but consequences exist. Now you can change the course.
See my reply to TB above.

PureX

Veteran Member
Something that happened in the passed yoctosecond is said to be the — PAST

Something that will happen in the next coming yoctosecond is — FUTURE

What can happen in between this past — future ?

Does PRESENT exists ?
Always, but then never again.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Okay,

Outer is — past
Outer see image is — present, or future ?

And also answer:

Can future come before present ?

Outer sees image of outer very slightly after image was made. Speed of light is quick but not instant

The arrow of time can only go one way so mo future cannot be before present

chinu

chinu
Outer sees image of outer very slightly after image was made. Speed of light is quick but not instant

The arrow of time can only go one way so mo future cannot be before present
But, in your post #47 you said:
The past and future are in mind, the present is where one live though one may not see it or feel it or hear it until it is past.

ChristineM

Premium Member
But, in your post #47 you said:
The past and future are in mind, the present is where one live though one may not see it or feel it or hear it until it is past.

Correct, one cannot see the image in the present but can see the past

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The present might appear to be some portion of time but it cannot be so since time simply flows at a constant rate - as far as we know - and the present must be an infinitesimally small amount of time (for any period of time we can think of a smaller one) - such that the future becomes instantaneously the past. Hence essentially no present.
That's true. I never thought of it like that.
Time flows and the present moment becomes the past in the next moment in time, hence no present except for a moment.

Tomef

Does PRESENT exists ?
In exists in the same way reading these words exists.

ChristineM

Premium Member
because we are reading these words in the present but after we finish reading these words that reading becomes the past.

The light from the words travels to your eyes, the signal from your eyes takes maybe 100 micro seconds to reach your brain.

So.

Are you reading the words in the past or does the reading happen as the brain interpretets the words. I w. In the present.?

We Never Know

No Slack

Does PRESENT exists ?
There's this ..

"Mathematically, the present is a point in time with no duration: the present doesn't exist! Our minds create the feeling of duration so that we can attribute reality to “now.”