• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Make Mistakes?

Dogknox20

I am an absurdist when it comes to God in a sense. So maybe She is Satan to some, a God to me and I even accept that She is a Satan to others.
mikkel_the_dane it's all good... I think some men are ma
That would be a good question!

The flood was an invention of the Israelites who were trying to trace their blood lines back to Adam in order to create an authoritative line of decent. Finding great difficulty in doing so they decided to solve the problem by drowning the whole world in its own wickedness.

So no, God didnt make a mistake and start over, the Israelites made a mistake in claiming that God wrote their scripture books!

So, says you! It's all "Your" theory! Most people would disagree with you!

Dogknox20

I've carefully read to the end of the thread (as of now) to see if you address this question. As you haven't, I'll ask it.

I assume that by "men" you include women, but what about children too young to be capable of having the concept of God? Did they reject God? And what about all the other species that kind of got caught up in this? Did they reject God too?
Alien826 good to meet Good questions!
Genesis 6:22
Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
Clearly Noah loved God!

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Nakosis I hope all is well...
I reply I think you are a little mixed up.. First: God is Love and only those who love can enter paradise! To get into heaven you need to have love! Adam was removed from Paradise because he did not love!

I thought it was was because he disobeyed God ...

Chickens Dogs, Cats, Snails, Pigs Rabbets etc are not made in God' image they cannot love!

Without my being a mind reader, my dog does seem to exhibit love to me.

Nakosis would you rather be like a chicken? Chickens Dogs, Cats, Snails, Pigs Rabbets etc. cannot sin because they do NOT have Free Will!

I would say that these creatures are perfectly capable of making decisions and acting on them. Maybe you mean something else by "free will". They don't "sin" certainly, because sin is a human invention, flowing from religious belief. There is evidence that for example chimps do exhibit behavior that is contrary to the wishes of the group, and are punished for it by other chimps. The line between humans and other species is not as defined as you believe.

You ask...Would it a mistake for me to release the AI into the world where it was capable of causing harm?
I reply: If you did it to cause harm then YES! IF...

Nakosis
if the AI did it without your help if it harmed the girl on its own then NO you would be innocent! But you forget "God is Perfect" if God was not perfect, he would not be God!
Adam was created "Perfect" it was Adam NOT God that decided not to love!

If Nakosis created a potentially dangerous AI that he then released into the world, he would certainly be responsible for its actions. If it was a simple mistake he would be less culpable, but still ultimately responsible. And that was his point about God. If God created humans knowing perfectly well that they would "sin", then he definitely bears responsibility for all their actions, good and bad. It's like releasing a dangerous criminal, knowing full well that he will hurt people. It's still the criminal's doing and he will be punished if caught, but the jailer can't just wave away his part in it. And God, being all powerful and all knowing, is especially responsible for the results of his actions (creation), because he can't plead ignorance.

Colt

mikkel_the_dane it's all good... I think some men are ma

So, says you! It's all "Your" theory! Most people would disagree with you!
No actually no other culture remembers great, great......great grandpa Noah or his impossible flood myth. The Israelites were the only ones who remembered him.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Alien826 good to meet Good questions!
Genesis 6:22
Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
Clearly Noah loved God!

Well, he obeyed God. There are lots of reasons for obeying that don't involve love. Fear for example.

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways.

You've evaded the question. I'll try again. Did all the babies reject God? Did the animals deserve to be destroyed?

Just a general point, but important. When debating with those that don't share your beliefs, simply quoting the Bible as if it settled every question doesn't get you very far. In fact, part of the OP's point, I think, was to doubt the authenticity of those verses. What you are doing is preaching, which is supposed to be against the rules here, though I'm not personally calling you on that.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Ok, so there are things that God doesn't like about God's creation?

I believe I have a different vision of God than you, although I admit I don’t know what yours is. I don’t think of God as a personage, so I don’t think in terms of likes or dislikes.

In the autumn, leaves grow separation rings, lose their luster, and fall to the ground to be replaced in the spring. This process seems perfect. Maybe not from the standpoint of the leaf though.

Dogknox20

Well, he obeyed God. There are lots of reasons for obeying that don't involve love. Fear for example.

You've evaded the question. I'll try again. Did all the babies reject God? Did the animals deserve to be destroyed?

Just a general point, but important. When debating with those that don't share your beliefs, simply quoting the Bible as if it settled every question doesn't get you very far. In fact, part of the OP's point, I think, was to doubt the authenticity of those verses. What you are doing is preaching, which is supposed to be against the rules here, though I'm not personally calling you on that.
Alien826 Your words... Well, he obeyed God. There are lots of reasons for obeying that don't involve love. Fear for example.
The words of God...
1 John 2:4
Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.

1 John 5:3
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

Genesis 2:16
And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden.

Clearly Adam did not love God! this is love for God: to keep his commands

Alien826 Adam did NOT obey God! Adam did not love God... so you are wrong!

Dogknox20

You asked... Did all the babies reject God? Did the animals deserve to be destroyed?

I reply.... When a people are defeated, the Children always go the way of the adults!
Question Do you think a baby would survive without a mother!?

Think.. When the people of Moses crossed the Red Sea and were saved from Pharos army were they carrying babies as they crossed to safety?! Do you think they did not have any children with them?
Do you think they did not have any animals with them!?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Alien826 Your words... Well, he obeyed God. There are lots of reasons for obeying that don't involve love. Fear for example.
The words of God...
1 John 2:4
Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.

1 John 5:3
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

Genesis 2:16
And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden.

Clearly Adam did not love God! this is love for God: to keep his commands

Alien826 Adam did NOT obey God! Adam did not love God... so you are wrong!

Not Adam, Noah! Your words!

Dogknox20

I thought it was was because he disobeyed God ...

Without my being a mind reader, my dog does seem to exhibit love to me.

I would say that these creatures are perfectly capable of making decisions and acting on them. Maybe you mean something else by "free will". They don't "sin" certainly, because sin is a human invention, flowing from religious belief. There is evidence that for example chimps do exhibit behavior that is contrary to the wishes of the group, and are punished for it by other chimps. The line between humans and other species is not as defined as you believe.

If Nakosis created a potentially dangerous AI that he then released into the world, he would certainly be responsible for its actions. If it was a simple mistake he would be less culpable, but still ultimately responsible. And that was his point about God. If God created humans knowing perfectly well that they would "sin", then he definitely bears responsibility for all their actions, good and bad. It's like releasing a dangerous criminal, knowing full well that he will hurt people. It's still the criminal's doing and he will be punished if caught, but the jailer can't just wave away his part in it. And God, being all powerful and all knowing, is especially responsible for the results of his actions (creation), because he can't plead ignorance.
You said.. Without my being a mind reader, my dog does seem to exhibit love to me.
I reply.... Love is a human trait none other has it; to say a dog loves opens a door to saying all animals love... Chickens, snails, rats, grasshoppers, alligators etc cannot love thus your Dog cannot love!

Alien826 Is this it? If there is no God, then you cannot sin!? Very convenient: I can do anything I want to do because I say, "There is not a god!"
Your world would fall into chaos.
I point out: It was Christians and their beliefs that brought civilization up to where it is today! FACT: Care for the sick the downtrodden, Schools and Hospitals, Orphanages, law and order! The Christians were the Welfare for the peoples not the governments, people came to Church for help to obtain food and money! People had No rights they were treated as livestock!
Survival of the fittest! Babies included!
The reason your world is falling apart today is because people reject God!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you have any evidence that people at the time when that scripture was written found bones on mountaintops, recognized them as being from marine animals, and went on to draw that conclusion? You are generally well informed, so that's a serious question. It just seems a little unlikely to me.

When I say marine fossils, I mean shells or the impressions of bodies cast in stone. Do I have any evidence that people climbed mountains and found such things? How could they not if they can climb mountains, those things were present, and they could recognize what they were? I think I remember finding such things as a boy, but that may be a false memory.

How do you account for such a demeaning description of a god committing two intellectual and one moral error appearing in scripture? I'm assuming that there never was a global flood, since it would be impossible given the earth's water content and distribution. So why make up such a story or include it in canon? I could only come up with one answer, and found it a compelling one. What would we expect to happen following such a discovery in the ancient world?

Surely this was an act of God they would think, so, we'd expect an explanatory myth, and in the hands of the ancient Hebrews, who probably got the global flood idea from older Mesopotamian cultures, we're not surprised to read a myth written in terms of man's failure and God's wrathful judgment, like many other OT myths. I don't know if the Sumerians respected their gods or just feared them, so they might have decided that the flood was the act of am impetuous and unjust god like Zeus for the Greeks.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
You asked... Did all the babies reject God? Did the animals deserve to be destroyed?

I reply.... When a people are defeated, the Children always go the way of the adults!
Question Do you think a baby would survive without a mother!?

So, collateral damage?

Back a ways in this conversation you quoted this.

The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

The suggestion being that everyone apart from Noah was evil and deserved to be wiped out. I simply suggested that this didn't apply to babies and animals. In any case you still have God destroying innocents. I'd agree that in wartime some non-combatants get killed, but we're human. I don't see why God couldn't have saved the children in some way. He is supposed to be omnipotent after all.

Think.. When the people of Moses crossed the Red Sea and were saved from Pharos army were they carrying babies as they crossed to safety?! Do you think they did not have any children with them?
Do you think they did not have any animals with them!?

Yes I understand that people take children and animals with them when they travel.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
You said.. Without my being a mind reader, my dog does seem to exhibit love to me.
I reply.... Love is a human trait none other has it; to say a dog loves opens a door to saying all animals love... Chickens, snails, rats, grasshoppers, alligators etc cannot love thus your Dog cannot love!

You say ... [another unsupported assertion].

I reply ... Yes they can. (Might as well argue at your level). We're going to need some way to test for "love" to settle this. I'll start. Humans look after their children. So do alligators.

And, your logic is severely flawed. One species cannot love so all species cannot love? That's called the Fallacy of the Undistributed middle. https://academicinfluence.com/inflection/study-guides/logical-fallacies#undistributed-middle

Come to think of it that suggests that humans cannot love, as we too are animals.

Alien826 Is this it? If there is no God, then you cannot sin!? Very convenient: I can do anything I want to do because I say, "There is not a god!"
Your world would fall into chaos.
I point out: It was Christians and their beliefs that brought civilization up to where it is today! FACT: Care for the sick the downtrodden, Schools and Hospitals, Orphanages, law and order! The Christians were the Welfare for the peoples not the governments, people came to Church for help to obtain food and money! People had No rights they were treated as livestock!
Survival of the fittest! Babies included!
The reason your world is falling apart today is because people reject God!

Not really. I'm just saying that "sin" is a technical term used in Christianity that carries more meaning than simple "wrong doing". For example, sin is often defined as displeasing God. Remove God from the equation and your list of "bad" things changes, but wrong doing remains. That's not license to "do anything I want".

I reply to your pointing out: (Hey I'm getting to like this way debating!) I'll see your list of good stuff and raise you child abuse by priests, Spanish Inquisition, killing of Protestants by Catholics, killing of Catholics by Protestants, persecution of Jewish people .... It's highly debatable whether the world would have been a better or worse place if Christianity had never been.