• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Make Mistakes?

Dogknox20

So free will is only a problem if you actually use it?
Nakosis free will is choosing to love or not to love! Yes, many CHOSE "FREELY" not to love!
God "Is Love" we are made in God' image, we are made with the ability to love... To Love you must have "Free Will"!

Dogknox20

Some say that the proof that God does indeed make mistakes is me. :emojconfused:

metis don't be too hard on yourself...Because of "Adam" we are all born imperfect! Adam the perfect man corrupted God' perfect creation! Because Adam sinned, he because imperfect, we are ALL born his children!

Dogknox20

I have an opinion, but it will be naturalistic. No, God doesn't make mistakes. That God doesn't exist for me, and so can't.

The flood story was invented to account for the finding of marine fossils on mountaintops. Think about it. Suppose you found them. How did they get there? Wouldn't that be so great a mystery that it would occupy much of your thinking until you came up with a plausible answer? What would that be in the days before seafloor uplift was a thing. The mountaintops must have been submerged by the mother of all floods, much bigger than the ones they had seen, which don't cover mountains higher than hills. Only God could have done that, so why would he? What's the answer for every one of these riddles, such as why do we labor for our food and die rather than live in paradise forever? Why were Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed? Why were the Jews exiled into captivity? It's always the same answer: God was man at man, who needed to be smacked. So why was the whole world drowned save one family and a few animals? God was mad at man for being a sinner.

The problem here is that this story depicts the deity as a failure as an engineer twice, first when he made man, an error he regretted, and then when he repopulated the earth using the same breeding stock. Guess what? More sinners. This story is very demeaning to the deity, and not just for these two intellectual errors, but the moral error of indiscriminately destroying terrestrial life whatever the species. I don't think you include a story like that in your mythos unless you think you need to. I don't have another hypothesis for why they would write or include a story like that in a holy book. It's part of the argument that this perfect deity that makes errors and regrets them cannot exist for the same reason that married bachelors don't exist.

In Christianity it is. It's the highway to hell. This religion has a love-hate relationship with free will. On the one hand, it describes it as a gift from god because he loves us and doesn't want "robots," the exercise of which pleases him if one guesses right and wills to believe, and then goes on to try every trick to get one not to exercise it if what one wills isn't what God wills.
It Aint Necessarily So I think you are a little mixed up!
All are born corrupted because our father "Adam" is corrupted! All men sin because we are imperfect! ONLY....

It Aint Necessarily So
only one man has been born that is not imperfect, not corrupted that is Jesus! Only God is perfect; Jesus is the God/Man! What we have to do is get our sorry ssa IMMERSED into the risen can't die a second time body of Jesus! God came to save us he loves us!

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Personal human experience.

Not a scientific liars evil minded human theists question human then answer.

Like an example we must accept homosexuals as humans rights...yet are not accepted as natural human law. Yet are family so love them anyway.

To a human aware who says no I won't love them as it's not natural law.

Personal feelings in personal experience. Express personal felt reality only.

Living bio attacked in a flood the human aware...life was being saved .....writings only said by themed the wooden ark. As the theist scientist was the writer. You lied.

Flood never any ark was saving life...mind was affected. Because scientists theories trees in data terms when biology isn't wood correct advice.

A rational human says....did you human experience flooding?

Yes. We still do..the law to flood above mass evaporation is saving lives is still flooding today.

Okay...says a human..what scientific thesis did you storyteller use yourself?

Scientist just a man says life lives inside flooded earth mass origins of fresh and sea water by chemical underground eruptions.

That in law had lifted up huge sheets of water mass to evaporate cool burning gases...as below...so above.

Okay Mr know it all theist liar. What has that history got to do with your machine practice?

Errrummm he says knowing he is the liar in person.

Sun attacking earth by cold stone sun but burning mass caused the water flood. So you were told the truth about nuclear right then yourself?

Okay...what has it got to do with machine sciences?

Nothing at all.

You built the machine because you wanted to. You put whatever type gas or mass inside machine yourself.

Yes he says.

Okay what gases do you claim you put inside machine first?

Non alight gases.

Didn't you personally however apply light and heat to get the gas? From mass!

Yes.

So it's a direct mind lie.

Then you said I'll copy atmospheric history...attack of sun by mass body energy....flooding as you set alight gases above. As science an outcome.

As it's how you put your gases inside of machine.

You lied scientists.

Scientists con. As Mr egotist you are not he says allowed to ever tell him you are wrong...as machines Proved yes correct.

Yet in law no machine even exists.

Law as said by human first...position biological human living inside water mass heavens wasn't flooding first..no ark existed.

Reason....his stone ark suns star nuclear mass is stone ark. The body ark that came from out of space wasn't any ship.

Wood owned by trees in nature didn't build a wooden ark to save his human life not yet even existing.

Nor did a tree create your human bio existence. It's just wood the tree.

What human liars are who use data in chemistry when nature's laws aren't science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
mikkel_the_dane good to meet you...
1) God made Adam perfect... He was corrupted by his free choice to sin.
We are his descendants... CAN'T....

mikkel_the_dane
can't make perfection from using corrupted material! All peoples are born children of Adam all his children are thus NOT perfect all of us are born unperfect! Only God is perfect! All die because we are not perfect!

Jesus is the Man/God he was born perfect; he is the second Adam! All "ADDED" to the body of Jesus will rise from the grave!
1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.
1 Corinthians 15:45
So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.

2) I add... If you think God is a "She" then you have to accept Satan also as "SHE"!

I have a different faith than you.

RestlessSoul

Well it follows God makes mistakes because God is a product of the human mind that is prone for mistakes.

The mythological flood myth is soundly debunked.

You can’t debunk a myth. Mythology does not present the literal truth - universal truths are revealed through storytelling. Why is that so difficult to understand?

The flood story does appear infer that the God of Abraham was not happy with his handiwork. This makes the OPs question a reasonable line of enquiry.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
If not, what was the flood about?
Disasters like the flood are usually the result of people's karma rather than a deliberate act of God.

But I would say the gods do make mistakes sometimes - the creation of dinosaurs looks like a mistake to me.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Nakosis free will is choosing to love or not to love! Yes, many CHOSE "FREELY" not to love!
God "Is Love" we are made in God' image, we are made with the ability to love... To Love you must have "Free Will"!

But "free" will is the ability to choose to love or not to love.
Are you really free to choose if you will be punished if you make the wrong choice.

If I choose to steal from my neighbor and I am punished for my choice, there is a cost to my choice. If there is a cost, it is not free.
There is a cost to choosing not to love God. Since that choice is going to cost me, it is not free.

So back to the OP question,
If I write the code for an AI. I make it as autonomous as possible. It makes decisions base on the information it has available to it.
Although I designed it, I'm not telling it what actions to take. So I release the AI into the world to see what happens.
Lets say this AI for whatever reason decides to kill an innocent little girl.
Was it a mistake for me to released the AI into the world were it was capable of causing harm?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Disasters like the flood are usually the result of people's karma rather than a deliberate act of God.

But I would say the gods do make mistakes sometimes - the creation of dinosaurs looks like a mistake to me.

Isn't that sorta what happened in the flood? Some natural catastrophe wiped out most of the dinosaurs.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The flood removed men who rejected God!

I've carefully read to the end of the thread (as of now) to see if you address this question. As you haven't, I'll ask it.

I assume that by "men" you include women, but what about children too young to be capable of having the concept of God? Did they reject God? And what about all the other species that kind of got caught up in this? Did they reject God too?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The flood story was invented to account for the finding of marine fossils on mountaintops.

Do you have any evidence that people at the time when that scripture was written found bones on mountaintops, recognized them as being from marine animals, and went on to draw that conclusion? You are generally well informed, so that's a serious question. It just seems a little unlikely to me.

More likely to me is that a number of extensive, but still local, floods were exaggerated into a global flood story.

Alien826

No religious beliefs

In addition to excessive rainfall in places where the water can't run away quickly enough, hurricanes caused by heat build up in the sea and the rotation of the earth, and other perfectly natural causes?

Of course dinosaurs were around for about 170,000,000 years. Seems to me like a pretty successful mistake.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
mikkel_the_dane I hope all is well...
Yes, it is very clear you do have a different faith!
Your point is??

Is Satan a "She"? If not, why do you say God is a "She"! I say you can't have it both ways!

I am an absurdist when it comes to God in a sense. So maybe She is Satan to some, a God to me and I even accept that She is a Satan to others.

Dogknox20

But "free" will is the ability to choose to love or not to love.
Are you really free to choose if you will be punished if you make the wrong choice.

If I choose to steal from my neighbor and I am punished for my choice, there is a cost to my choice. If there is a cost, it is not free.
There is a cost to choosing not to love God. Since that choice is going to cost me, it is not free.

So back to the OP question,
If I write the code for an AI. I make it as autonomous as possible. It makes decisions base on the information it has available to it.
Although I designed it, I'm not telling it what actions to take. So I release the AI into the world to see what happens.
Lets say this AI for whatever reason decides to kill an innocent little girl.
Was it a mistake for me to released the AI into the world were it was capable of causing harm?
Nakosis I hope all is well...
I reply I think you are a little mixed up.. First: God is Love and only those who love can enter paradise! To get into heaven you need to have love! Adam was removed from Paradise because he did not love!
God did not punish Adam he simply removed Adam because he did not have love! Being placed outside of Paradise means death; Adam chose death over life! It was Adams own decision His Free Will Choice to Not Love!! Free Will is needed to love! Chickens Dogs, Cats, Snails, Pigs Rabbets etc are not made in God' image they cannot love!
Nakosis If you choose to steal from your neighbor and are punished for your choice, there is a cost to your FREE WILL choice. If there is a cost, it proves you are to only one to blame for your own trouble! You are the only one to blame it is not God who got you into your own predicament! WOULD....

Nakosis
would you rather be like a chicken? Chickens Dogs, Cats, Snails, Pigs Rabbets etc. cannot sin because they do NOT have Free Will!

You ask...Would it a mistake for me to release the AI into the world where it was capable of causing harm?
I reply: If you did it to cause harm then YES! IF...

Nakosis
if the AI did it without your help if it harmed the girl on its own then NO you would be innocent! But you forget "God is Perfect" if God was not perfect, he would not be God!
Adam was created "Perfect" it was Adam NOT God that decided not to love!

Colt

If not, what was the flood about?
That would be a good question!

The flood was an invention of the Israelites who were trying to trace their blood lines back to Adam in order to create an authoritative line of decent. Finding great difficulty in doing so they decided to solve the problem by drowning the whole world in its own wickedness.

So no, God didnt make a mistake and start over, the Israelites made a mistake in claiming that God wrote their scripture books!