• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Have a Gas Stove or an Electric One?

Do you have a gas stove or an electric stove?

• Gas. I live in the US.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Electric. I live in the US.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Gas. I live in Europe.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Electric. I live in Europe.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Gas. I live in Australia/New Zealand.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electric. I live in Australia/New Zealand.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gas. I live elsewhere.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Electric. I live elsewhere.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Audie

Veteran Member
Ronald WokDonald cooks bad "Chinese" food with it just fine!

One of my friends at Uni is from Shanghai.
Her apartment did not have a fume hood.

I honestly would understand if landlord refused to ever rent to Chunese again.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Likewise. I live in a natural gas rich area myself.

I know. Any stir fry sucks doing on electric.
Some of the modern stoves have very hot burners. One does have to adjust a bit. And I am surprised that some very well respected restaurants that have woks have induction heating. I do have a spare induction burner. I am a fan of stupid gadgets at times. And it is amazing how fast it gets hot. I have not tired stir frying on it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
kt

Electric with Teflon.

You can't cook Chinese food with such.
In these here parts, of all the Chinese immigrants
& ABCs I've seen, nobody uses a wok. Flat bottomed
skillets (big'ns) do the job on electric or gas burners.

For the unfamiliar....
ABC = Ameristanian Born Chinese.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Likewise. I live in a natural gas rich area myself.

I know. Any stir fry sucks doing on electric.
Try one of these:

31z3wX9USfL._AC_.jpg

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As long as you understand that
CHINESE food cannot be made so,
no more than could an American
T bone steak can be BBQ in a microwave.
Well I do have great respect for good food from anywhere, and I particularly like Chinese, so it's fortunate that here in the UK we often have ready stir-fry vegetables available along with all the other ingredients to make a pleasing simulation of a nice Chinese meal. Haven't been to a restaurant for ages unfortunately. :oops:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And the above is a carbon steel wok. It merely fits the induction unit. It might not work with just any carbon steel wok. The curvature would have to match that of the cooker.

I can barely get my wok to trigger my induction unit. But I have not tried it for heating. You need a pan in very close proximity to the hob or it will not even turn one. I think that with a standard flat induction hob you would have one massive hot spot in the center of your wok.

https://www.amazon.com/Induction-14...argid=pla-535785773470&psc=1&region_id=373786

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Choose what applies!

The poll is anonymous.

I have both living in the US.
On the West coast I have gas. On the East coast I have electric.
Either works fine for what I cook.
Though things seem to char quicker on the electric stove. The heat seems more evenly distributed on the electric stove so there are no cooler spots in the pan to push the food off to.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have both living in the US.
On the West coast I have gas. On the East coast I have electric.
Either works fine for what I cook.
Though things seem to char quicker on the electric stove. The heat seems more evenly distributed on the electric stove so there are no cooler spots in the pan to push the food off to.

Do some states have more gas stoves because they have more (and therefore cheaper) gas?

exchemist

Veteran Member
That illustrates the principle of the Bunsen burner, actually. What you have here is 4 large but low temperature, yellow flames, because there is no premixing of air with the gas. The yellow is from incandescent particles of soot, as combustion is inefficient and incomplete. With the burners in place, air is premixed with the gas just upstream of the flame. This gives a far hotter, blue flame and very little soot. Bunsen burners have almost died out now in chemistry labs, but we used to control of the proportion of air entering the base of the barrel to alter the temperature of the flame.

Here endeth the chemical nerdery.

For now. :D

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That illustrates the principle of the Bunsen burner, actually. What you have here is 4 large but low temperature, yellow flames, because there is no premixing of air with the gas. They yellow is from incandescent particles of soot, as combustion is inefficient and incomplete. With the burners in place, air is premixed with the gas just upstream of the flame. This gives a far hotter, blue flame and very little soot. Bunsen burners have almost died out now in chemistry labs, but we used to control of the proportion of air entering the base of the barrel to alter the temperature of the flame.

It's sad to hear they're dying out. It's one of the first things we learned to use.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Choose what applies!

We have an (electric) convection oven, but don't use it much unless something is being cooked in or on a large container. We're more likely to use the air fryer, which is also electric. We also have a microwave, but don't cook with it and rarely use it to reheat food (it's mostly for warming liquids like hot tea or canned soup), and use a crockpot at times. We also have a propane stovetop, which I've always called a range, but apparently that's incorrect. I wasn't really sure just what an oven, stove and range were :

"If you have a cooking chamber without attached external burners, you should call it an oven. If you have a cooking surface with no oven, you should call it a cooktop (or hob). And if you have both in one device, you should call it a range—though you could certainly be forgiven for calling it a stove."

So, I'm still not clear on exactly what a stove is even after looking at this: Kitchen stove - Wikipedia Is it a synonym for oven - just the baking chamber? For a range, which appears to be an oven combined with a stovetop? Is it an inexact term that is used interchangeably for both?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Do some states have more gas stoves because they have more (and therefore cheaper) gas?

I don't know how it goes state to state, but I would say from what I notice, whether someone has gas:)D) or electric(that isn't renting and has had something already provided by a landlord) is those who are really enjoy cooking prefer gas. Those who's cooking is closer to "open box, pour contents in pan, add 2 cups water, and 2 tablespoons butter, simmer 10 minutes" prefer electric. They're not all that invested in their food, and electric glasstops are much, much easier to clean.

I am sure there are some exceptions to this, but its what I've noticed.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That illustrates the principle of the Bunsen burner, actually. What you have here is 4 large but low temperature, yellow flames, because there is no premixing of air with the gas. They yellow is from incandescent particles of soot, as combustion is inefficient and incomplete. With the burners in place, air is premixed with the gas just upstream of the flame. This gives a far hotter, blue flame and very little soot. Bunsen burners have almost died out now in chemistry labs, but we used to control of the proportion of air entering the base of the barrel to alter the temperature of the flame.

And all the chemistry teachers wept because there were no more Bunsens to burn.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
"Natural gas produces more energy than any of the fossil fuels. It has a 92% efficiency rate from wellhead to home, compared to electricity generated by coal, which operates at only a 32% efficiency rate.

Natural gas energy is also cost effective; as a fossil fuel abundant in the U.S., natural gas is one of our greatest domestic energy sources. National Fuel reports that around 90% of the natural gas consumed in the U.S. comes from within the country, and nearly 100% of it comes from North America.

90% of natural gas consumed in America is produced in the U.S., and 100% is produced in North America"

natural-gas-alternative-energy.jpg

However, I don't think they included facts about LP gas. It burns 2x as efficient as natural gas. I can grab the research if you want it. But I know that you can have a propane unvented heater within your house. Because it burns completely clean. You cannot do that with natural gas. It would cause carbon monoxide poisoning.