• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Expect Everyone to Like You?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Most people do tend to like me. It's usually a bit of a shock, to be honest, when they don't. But the reverse is also true: I tend to like everyone, and it's a bit of shock when now and then, I find that I don't.

And yes, I love sending out holiday cards. :D

(But to the OP, I don't think it's reasonable to expect that everyone should like you. I do, however, think that you should expect to be treated fairly and with respect regardless who you are.)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I hate to break this to you, but it is those who don't expect anyone to like them who actually have the most people who do like them. No one likes someone who is presumptious. ;) :D

Aw crap! I better start sucking up to people and being a toadie.

Seriously, I never really gave it any thought if people like me or not. I don't expect anyone to like me, just if it's your job to deal with me, suck it up. If someone seems condescending or rude to me, I've never really considered it's because they don't like me. I think either they're having a bad day or they're a douche. But for the most part, and much to my chagrin, people tend to buzz around me like flies to dog ****. It's really annoying... go away and leave me alone! :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well, I can't imagine life without friends, so yes I definitely expect people do like me.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't much care if I am well liked or not. In general, I like people but I don't expect the feelings to be reciprocated. That is a tad unrealistic.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
For me i don't expect everyone to like me, something I've learnt from almost 2 decades of trying to get people to do so. I'm happy as long as there is tolerance between us and I am allowed to live peacefully, and I wlll give the same.

arhys

I'm a bit of an introvert and quite shy as a result. I tend to not say much in close quarters until I've warmed to people. More often than not I am quickly branded with an undeserved reputation for arrogance and stand-offishness, just for being quiet and pensive. I've come to expect to be disliked by most, at least from the start, and perhaps even immediately loathed by the alpha types. However, I've made good friends with those who who are less hasty to dismiss.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I no longer expect people to like me...but I secretly hope they will lol. As a kid I was always trying to get people to like me.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Do You Expect Everyone to Like You?
Nope.
In fact, I do not expect anyone to like me.

I learned long ago that there is no way that anyone can be such a person that I would want to be and have "everyone" like them.

I am content merely being who and what I am and letting those who like, me like and those who do not like me, not like me.

I try to do the same courtesy to everyone else.
Though I freely admit that there are one or two persons I know that in order to save them from drowning I would need remove my foot.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well, I can't imagine life without friends, so yes I definitely expect people do like me.

Ntice the read doesnt ask you if you. Expect that SOMEONE likes you, but if you expect that EVERYONE likes you.

And expect is not the same as hope or would like.

Shermana

Heretic
I used to hear about tolerance- it seems like a good thing- always has. But people are starting to want more. It isn't enough to have people just tolerate them, they want everyone to accept them- and to be their friend. That is a lovely thought- something in an ideal world. But this world is anything but ideal- people dislike others for any infinite reasons. People who are totally in shape might dislike people who are out of shape and maybe overweight. People might dislike people who are drug addicts and alcoholics and those who used to be addicts dislike people who are still addicts. Some people of religion dislike people of other religion. Some people of one lifestyle might dislike people of another lifestyle. some nasty people dislike super nice people. Some people dislike others "just because".
I was taught as a child that not everyone was going to like me- and not everyone has. I don't lose any sleep on anyone who dislikes me, even if it for a really stupid reason.

There are wars, feuds, etc. all over the world because of things like this and others- and infinite amount of others. Try to be realistic. People have no right to harass others and harm others, but that doesn't mean they can be forced to like others.

We all hope for things to improve with time, however.

Peace and Long Life- Christine. :)

If there weren't people who disliked me, life would be no fun.

*Level of dislike and action taken/willing to be taken due to that dislike is another story.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I don't expect to be liked. In fact, I would rather most people not like me, because they have no reason to beyond tradition or common courtesy, which has a habit of finding false middle grounds on which we can relate.

If you like me, you better have a good reason for it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I used to hear about tolerance- it seems like a good thing- always has. But people are starting to want more.

Often enough they need more, at least when it comes to political decisions. Tolerance alone just isn't enough when people with too different views and too little understanding of each other's needs and hopes must be subjected to the same standards and rules.

It isn't enough to have people just tolerate them, they want everyone to accept them- and to be their friend. That is a lovely thought- something in an ideal world. But this world is anything but ideal- people dislike others for any infinite reasons. People who are totally in shape might dislike people who are out of shape and maybe overweight. People might dislike people who are drug addicts and alcoholics and those who used to be addicts dislike people who are still addicts. Some people of religion dislike people of other religion. Some people of one lifestyle might dislike people of another lifestyle. some nasty people dislike super nice people. Some people dislike others "just because".

Maybe we accept that a bit more than we really should.

I was taught as a child that not everyone was going to like me- and not everyone has. I don't lose any sleep on anyone who dislikes me, even if it for a really stupid reason.

There are wars, feuds, etc. all over the world because of things like this and others- and infinite amount of others. Try to be realistic. People have no right to harass others and harm others, but that doesn't mean they can be forced to like others.

Disliking others for what they are instead of out of some fiction would already be a huge and welcome improvement. It is a rare enough achievement in and of itself.

4consideration

Premium Member
I used to hear about tolerance- it seems like a good thing- always has. But people are starting to want more. It isn't enough to have people just tolerate them, they want everyone to accept them- and to be their friend. That is a lovely thought- something in an ideal world. But this world is anything but ideal- people dislike others for any infinite reasons. People who are totally in shape might dislike people who are out of shape and maybe overweight. People might dislike people who are drug addicts and alcoholics and those who used to be addicts dislike people who are still addicts. Some people of religion dislike people of other religion. Some people of one lifestyle might dislike people of another lifestyle. some nasty people dislike super nice people. Some people dislike others "just because".

We all hope for things to improve with time, however.

Peace and Long Life- Christine. :)

I agree that it is unrealistic to expect everyone to like you.

There are some people that I'm not even sure I want to like me. People have different priorities about what is important in life, and different things that they use as a basis for determining whether or not they like someone. You cannot please everyone. I think it is a waste of time to try to please everyone, and would require that one take the focus off one's own priorities and use someone else's. Even then, there is no certainty that the other person would like you -- and it is not worth exchanging one's own sense of rightness or personal integrity to do so.

I heard (or read) an expression a long time ago that I adopted for my personal philosophy on the matter. I don't remember the source. It goes something like: it doesn't make any sense to worry about what other people think about you -- half the people will think whatever they want to think, no matter what the truth is and no matter what you do -- the other half aren't even thinking about you.

I expect for others not to impose their own attitudes/judgements/beliefs/priorities upon me, but I do not expect them to like me.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I strive to see what I can like in others. Whether they like me back is out of my hands, and can also change from moment to moment.

Basically, whether people like me or not doesn't change the fact that I'm a human being who is alive and can actively do things for the benefit and happiness of others. Period.