• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Really Need This Kind of Bigotry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Not only do I see ethnic bigotry, I also see sexism. It seems some believe that since it is a tribal or communal issue that the girl involved is somehow communal property belonging only to the tribe. She being regarded as property. And since she is property she has no right to self-determine who she will identify as.

You've gotta be kidding?

Alceste

Vagabond
Not only do I see ethnic bigotry, I also see sexism. It seems some believe that since it is a tribal or communal issue that the girl involved is somehow communal property belonging only to the tribe. She being regarded as property. And since she is property she has no right to self-determine who she will identify as.

You are not too far off. A story I watched about Israel's extremist right wing included an interview with a young man who saw it as his duty to "save" Jewish women from having romantic relationships with Arab men, by force if necessary. Just women. So yeah, there is stench of sexism as well as racism about the group.

Here's the story if you're interested.

Inside Israel's Pro-War Nationalist Camp

Edit: the comments I referred to are at about 6:15.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
So you are assuming bigotry and expecting others to show evidence that it does not exist, just like that?

When a group that operates under the explicit mandate of harassing Jewish women (and only women) who date Non-Jews descends on a wedding chanting "death to Arabs", it's not that great a logical leap to make that the group is both racist and sexist.

metis

I'm actually flabbergasted that anybody is defending these morons.

Who's defending them? I asked you in post #100 to name who is defending those who were yelling death to Arabs and you have not responded with one name or one post number.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
When a group that operates under the explicit mandate of harassing Jewish women (and only women) who date Non-Jews descends on a wedding chanting "death to Arabs", it's not that great a logical leap to make that the group is both racist and sexist.

Those certainly are racist at the very least. But is it them we are talking about?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ya know....if some people told me the Sun rose this morning,
I'd go outside & check...just to be sure.

metis

Why are you assuming that it's only Jewish women that this relates to as victims? You don't think that these outrageous screams weren't also aimed at the groom as well?

metis

Er... Isn't it? Am I the only person here who is still talking about the OP?

Again, name and number please. As far as the OP is concerned, I voiced my opinion, and I certainly wasn't defending the protesters.

Alceste

Vagabond
Why are you assuming that it's only Jewish women that this relates to as victims? You don't think that these outrageous screams weren't also aimed at the groom as well?

Lehava does not set out to harass Jewish men who date or marry outside the faith. Only Jewish women. The double standard is sexist.

Alceste

Vagabond
Again, name and number please. As far as the OP is concerned, I voiced my opinion, and I certainly wasn't defending the protesters.

Levite defended Lehava's ideology while criticizing their tactics. Having looked up their ideology, it is an honest mistake for others to mistake him for a bigot. OTOH, I'd rather discuss the OP than whether or not Levite is a bigot, so that's what I will do.

metis

Lehava does not set out to harass Jewish men who date or marry outside the faith. Only Jewish women. The double standard is sexist.

With that group, I agree. But there are other right-wing groups that may harass either man or women. To me, it OK for them to have their opinions, even though I strongly disagree with them, as long as they don't interfere as we saw the Lehava group do.

Status
Not open for further replies.