• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do people on RF believe they are more intelligent than everyone else?

Circle_One

I can tell you right now, I'm much more intelligent than the booth of idiotic drunks, next to me at the campus bar, who are screaming/slurring so loud, they're drowning out Elvis playing on the radio...

Peacewise

Surely mentioning boobs is a surefire way to lower the IQ of every male in the room. Whilst getting them to move, if only a little bit can reduce us to back to infantile screams equating to
"I need milk"

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, the answer that you're supposed to give to this question is no, right?

Well, the honest answer would seem to be 'yes', according to two polls I left open a while ago.

Religious Education Forum - View Poll Results

Religious Education Forum - View Poll Results

I'd like to note that the t-score for the unpaired t-test (different sample sizes) was 2.505, yielding a p-value of 0.0201.

This suggests that the idea that RF believes they are more intelligent than everyone else is a statistically significant conclusion (given an alpha of 0.05). Whether this belief is justified is neither here nor there.

Btw, before anyone calls this thread trolling, I'd just like to let you all know I'm not doing anything but stating the facts. You're free to look at the data.
Inaccurate conclusion.

Your polls asked people to rate their own intelligence and to rate the intelligence of others around them. If the number for their own intelligent is higher, it simply means that people here believe themselves to be more intelligent, on average, than those around them. It doesn't mean that they believe themselves to be "more intelligent than everyone else".

I'm virtually certain that a large enough sample size of people from this website would be more intelligent, on average, than the standard person. There are various aspects of intelligence, but if we're talking about reasoning ability, critical thinking, ability to learn, clarity of thought, and things of that nature, then the average person on a forum like this one will be above average.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A study published in Social Psychology Quarterly concludes that intelligent people are more likely to be night owls, more likely to be liberals, and more likely to be atheists. Intelligent men (but not intelligent women) are also more likely to be sexually exclusive.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Inaccurate conclusion.

Your polls asked people to rate their own intelligence and to rate the intelligence of others around them. If the number for their own intelligent is higher, it simply means that people here believe themselves to be more intelligent, on average, than those around them. It doesn't mean that they believe themselves to be "more intelligent than everyone else".

I'm virtually certain that a large enough sample size of people from this website would be more intelligent, on average, than the standard person. There are various aspects of intelligence, but if we're talking about reasoning ability, critical thinking, ability to learn, clarity of thought, and things of that nature, then the average person on a forum like this one will be above average.

You haven't explained where I made the inaccurate conclusion. The first part of your explanation is semantical, you're reiterating what I meant to say. And as for the second part, whether peoples' beliefs are valid is arbitrary, they still believe it.

A study published in Social Psychology Quarterly concludes that intelligent people are more likely to be night owls, more likely to be liberals, and more likely to be atheists. Intelligent men (but not intelligent women) are also more likely to be sexually exclusive.

Would I be able to read the article? Do I have to pay for it?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You haven't explained where I made the inaccurate conclusion. The first part of your explanation is semantical, you're reiterating what I meant to say. And as for the second part, whether peoples' beliefs are valid is arbitrary, they still believe it.
No, that's not just semantics.

There's a big difference between a person thinking they are "smarter than everyone else", and a person thinking that they are "smarter, on average, than those around them".

It's a falsely exaggerated conclusion.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well. I just read this entire thread in one sitting, and I don't feel one bit smarter. Bummer.

I DO feel a bit more informed about some RF members though!

On a more serious note, I do think that the intelligence level on this forum is higher than, say, the average of shoppers at WalMart at 2 am on a Saturday night.

Yep, we're a pretty smart bunch. Just remember - intelligence doesn't equal wisdom.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've been avoiding this thread because it just seems like we're just here to brag. Yeah...my IQ
is well in to the double digits. And I see I have lots'o company in the room temperature range.

DarkSun

:eltiT
No, that's not just semantics.

There's a big difference between a person thinking they are "smarter than everyone else", and a person thinking that they are "smarter, on average, than those around them".

It's a falsely exaggerated conclusion.

Well, you have my apologies for neglecting to word the OP the correct way.

I don't know the details. I just heard about it from a news source.

I found the actual article. Yeah, I have to pay for it before I can read it, sucks really.
http://spq.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/02/16/0190272510361602.full.pdf+html

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
"Do you think IQ tests provide the best indication of intelligence? You may be surprised to know that some scientists don't think so.
As a matter of fact, one scientist came up with a new theory about intelligence more than twenty years ago. Dr. Howard Gardner of Harvard University proposed that people were much more complex than standard testing suggested. He argued that traditional intelligence tests favored logical and mathematical people, but that different people had different strengths.
The intelligence types were:

1. Linguistic and verbal intelligence: good with words
  2. Logical intelligence: good with math and logic
  3. Spatial intelligence: good with pictures
  4. Body/movement intelligence: good with activities
  5. Musical intelligence: good with rhythm
  6. Interpersonal intelligence: good with communication
  7. Intrapersonal intelligence: good with analyzing things
  8. Naturalist intelligence: good with understanding natural world"
The above is from the Web.
I believe,
If you were to grade us on all forms you would excell in some and not in others combined your total would be equal to everyone else's total.

Morse

To Extinguish
Well. I just read this entire thread in one sitting, and I don't feel one bit smarter. Bummer.

I DO feel a bit more informed about some RF members though!

On a more serious note, I do think that the intelligence level on this forum is higher than, say, the average of shoppers at WalMart at 2 am on a Saturday night.

Yep, we're a pretty smart bunch. Just remember - intelligence doesn't equal wisdom.

You're right! Intelligence just affects my skills, but wisdom will boost a save.

I've been avoiding this thread because it just seems like we're just here to brag. Yeah...my IQ
is well in to the double digits. And I see I have lots'o company in the room temperature range.

Can I brag too? Stir 304.75 grams NaOH slowly into 863.24 grams of dihydrogen monoxide, and you should get my IQ in about 30 seconds.

Then in about 30 minutes, you'll get Revoltingest's

blackout

Violet.
Can I brag too? Stir 304.75 grams NaOH slowly into 863.24 grams of dihydrogen monoxide, and you should get my IQ in about 30 seconds.

Damn! A Morse Code I'll never crack.

*pouts*

Surmises that in about 30 minutes something goes down....
:p :D

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Haha, where is this study? I want to show it to my girlfriend, who always disses me for being a night owl.

Night owl, check. Liberal, check. Atheist, check.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Be careful with that dihydrogen monoxide... that stuff is strong enough to corrode metals and an inch of it can kill you!